Grapefruit Addiction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapefruit Addiction

I've heard that grapefruit can be bad for thyroid function. My problem is that this time of the year rolls around and the citrus is soooooo deliciously wonderful that I can't keep my hands off of it! (Can easily eat two whole grapefruits per day). Am I doing harm? Also...I think that the foods I crave most are likely the ones I should take more action to limit...yes?
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

I can understand loving citrus in the winter. And grapefruit aren't candy bars, or flour, or nuts. Eat!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Unless you're on medication that would interact with grapefruits, go nuts. 2 is nothing, I was eating 3-4 when they were in season.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

If you are eating two a day all year long, then maybe you have to control yourself :-). But if it is just a seasonal thing and you are healthy and they don't bother you in any way, then don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
          Unless you're on medication that would interact with grapefruits, go nuts. 2 is nothing, I was eating 3-4 when they were in season.
          Somehow this makes me feel better! I could absolutely eat three or four of them but have been trying to limit to 2!
          Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
          http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

I buy the Dole canisters of ruby red grapefruit (48 oz) and usually eat the entire thing within 24 hours. Sometimes less. I also drink 64 ounces of white, unsweetened grapefruit juice every day or so. I haven't noticed any problems at all, and if I'm going to overindulge in something, it might as well be something like that, rather than snickers bars or whatnot...

Comment

Since I lost weight and came off blood pressure medications, I have half a grapefruit every day after dinner. Apart from Sunday and that's ice cream treat day.
              Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

Two grapefruits per day are just fine, personally I like to cut them up and have them frozen as a cold snack! I have heard that drug addicts uses grapefruit for better effect of their drug...
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I personally avoid grapefruit because it effects the body's ability to healthfully eliminate excess estrogen.

Inhibition of 17 beta-estradiol metabolism by grap... [Maturitas. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI

Flavonoids in grapefr... [Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 1995 Jul-Sep] - PubMed - NCBI
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                    I personally avoid grapefruit because it effects the body's ability to healthfully eliminate excess estrogen.
                    Yep, if you are an ovariectomized woman on medications, you probably should be a little careful with grapefruit...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                      Yep, if you are an ovariectomized woman on medications, you probably should be a little careful with grapefruit...
                      Ahahaha

+1

Comment

PS, I have a white grapefruit tree in my yard, I have about, 15 billion ripe grapefruits on the tree and there is no way I can possibly eat them all. If you were not on the opposite side of the country I would say come over and take as many as you want!

Comment

Originally posted by imgliniel View Post
                          PS, I have a white grapefruit tree in my yard, I have about, 15 billion ripe grapefruits on the tree and there is no way I can possibly eat them all. If you were not on the opposite side of the country I would say come over and take as many as you want!
                          You lucky guy! Grapefruit is may favorite citrus fruit and I eat them almost daily, fortunately I have good acess to them here where I live in Ecuador though...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                            You lucky guy! Grapefruit is may favorite citrus fruit and I eat them almost daily, fortunately I have good acess to them here where I live in Ecuador though...
                            haha, uh, gal just fyi, but yeah, when we bought this house it came with three white grape vines, a grapefruit tree, a bitter orange tree (the kind you use in cooking and making marmalade) a fruiting mulberry tree and an apricot tree. Now if I can just get the dang veggie garden and chicken coop installed......

Comment

Working...
                            X