Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quitting CW cold turkey with 48 hour fast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Yeah it's better not to ingest it in the first place. I have to say I am amazed at your intensity!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
      Yeah it's better not to ingest it in the first place. I have to say I am amazed at your intensity!
      Yeah, if he can go cold turkey on the smokes, he should be able to toss the sugar monkey too.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        Yeah, if he can go cold turkey on the smokes, he should be able to toss the sugar monkey too.
        Letting go of sugar has been more difficult. Maybe it's because the cigs weren't making me feel good anymore. But sugar on the tongue after not eating all day is sooo good.

        Comment


        • #34
          I think sugar is really hard to kick. I'm glad I was never hooked on it (I'm one of those folks that are boringly moderate in all things). But I have that you can do it!
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by dizzyorange View Post
            After lurking for months I'm ready to take the paleo plunge.

            One year ago I was lying on the sofa, unemployed, smoking 2 packs/day, with man-boobs and no friends. I had just spent a week watching seasons 1 through 8 of Seinfeld continuously on my laptop, stopping only for bathroom and microwave breaks. As the first episode of season 9 started I had this terrible depression come over me. It was a bright sunny day outside and if you've ever been depressed you know those days are the worst, you just pray for clouds and rain to make you feel better.

            I decided to go outside because anything was better than more Seinfeld. As soon as I stepped into the sunlight I felt happy. It was like a miracle. I hadn't gotten sun on my skin in weeks and when it happened it was like a woman's caress.

            So I decided to change my life. There were 3 things I wanted to do:
            1) quit smoking
            2) stop eating crap
            3) meet a nice girl

            I knew I couldn't do them all at once so I gave myself 6 months to accomplish each, starting with smoking. I went to the store and bought 10 packs of cigarettes. I put them in a backpack along with some pre-microwaved hot pockets and walked into some nearby woods. I then smoked all 200 cigarettes over the next 5 hours while munching on the delicious pepperoni pizza hot pockets. When it was all over I was pretty sure I was going to die but somehow made it back home. That was 6 months ago and I haven't smoked another cigarette since .

            Now it's time for step 2. I've done my research and I'm convinced paleo is the way to go. Bingeing then cold turkey worked last time, so I'm going to try it again. 5 days ago I went to Pathmark and bought $200 of microwavable food. I've eaten it all (almost) and somehow am still alive. I'm now eating my last tray of "Lean" Cuisine as I type. I feel like puking but it can only get better from here right?

            I'm going to start my Primal life by taking a 48 hour water fast. I've never not eaten for more than maybe 20 hours at a time, so this should be interesting. I've been reading the experiences of others for inspiration and decided to type this post as a reminder to myself that there's no turning back.

            I intend to break the fast at 9PM Thursday by eating baked salmon seasoned with Kerrygold butter and copious bok choy. To be honest that sounds kind of gross but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I don't know what to do with myself during this 48 hours. I'm considering going for a really long walk: maybe over the GW bridge and all the way down Manhattan.

            Maybe after 6 months of being Primal I'll meet a nice chick.
            Dude... that's quite extreme... good luck. Really... I mean it because you sound like you've hit rock bottom. But geez dude love yourself, man! You could always start off with some eggs and bacon, too, you know! You don't have to throw yourself into a fast, but if extreme is your style, which apparently it is then okay... it just doesn't have to be like that. Primal eating is awesome! It takes a little bit of adjustment, but what I love is that we can eat FAT and MEAT! We don't have to starve on a lowfat vegetarian diet like the government thinks we should. You will love this way of eating and you will succeed! You don't have to fast or go hungry. Just eat primal goodness and you'll be on your way to health and meeting that good girl!!

            Comment


            • #36
              Unfortunately, calories really dont work that way. Eating 150 calories of apple is totally different than eating 150 calories of cake. Your body processes different kinds of calories in different ways.

              So bottom line, ditch the sugar. It is hard (ask me how I know!), but you can do it. If you add more fat, meat, and vegetables, you will soon be able to wean off the sugar. Also, eat the (primal) stuff that you love. Try new recipes, learn new cooking skills. In the beginning, I viewed Primal as a new "hobby." Made it that much exciting.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by dizzyorange View Post
                After lurking for months I'm ready to take the paleo plunge.

                One year ago I was lying on the sofa, unemployed, smoking 2 packs/day, with man-boobs and no friends. I had just spent a week watching seasons 1 through 8 of Seinfeld continuously on my laptop, stopping only for bathroom and microwave breaks. As the first episode of season 9 started I had this terrible depression come over me. It was a bright sunny day outside and if you've ever been depressed you know those days are the worst, you just pray for clouds and rain to make you feel better.

                I decided to go outside because anything was better than more Seinfeld. As soon as I stepped into the sunlight I felt happy. It was like a miracle. I hadn't gotten sun on my skin in weeks and when it happened it was like a woman's caress.

                So I decided to change my life. There were 3 things I wanted to do:
                1) quit smoking
                2) stop eating crap
                3) meet a nice girl

                I knew I couldn't do them all at once so I gave myself 6 months to accomplish each, starting with smoking. I went to the store and bought 10 packs of cigarettes. I put them in a backpack along with some pre-microwaved hot pockets and walked into some nearby woods. I then smoked all 200 cigarettes over the next 5 hours while munching on the delicious pepperoni pizza hot pockets. When it was all over I was pretty sure I was going to die but somehow made it back home. That was 6 months ago and I haven't smoked another cigarette since .

                Now it's time for step 2. I've done my research and I'm convinced paleo is the way to go. Bingeing then cold turkey worked last time, so I'm going to try it again. 5 days ago I went to Pathmark and bought $200 of microwavable food. I've eaten it all (almost) and somehow am still alive. I'm now eating my last tray of "Lean" Cuisine as I type. I feel like puking but it can only get better from here right?

                I'm going to start my Primal life by taking a 48 hour water fast. I've never not eaten for more than maybe 20 hours at a time, so this should be interesting. I've been reading the experiences of others for inspiration and decided to type this post as a reminder to myself that there's no turning back.

                I intend to break the fast at 9PM Thursday by eating baked salmon seasoned with Kerrygold butter and copious bok choy. To be honest that sounds kind of gross but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I don't know what to do with myself during this 48 hours. I'm considering going for a really long walk: maybe over the GW bridge and all the way down Manhattan.

                Maybe after 6 months of being Primal I'll meet a nice chick.
                I can't wait to read about your binge before meeting a nice girl

                Comment


                • #38
                  Been a week since my last post, and I've only had 1 box of coconut cream bars. That was the day after an attempted mugging resulted in a broken nose. Otherwise I've eaten only chicken, beef, fish, veggies, and butter. I'm still planning to unload on a box of cream bars once a week, but that seems to fit in with the carb cycling plans I've been reading about. Otherwise I feel mostly craving free. Glad to be rid of the sugar demon!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Ahh this is so inspirational. I love your posts, so hilarious, and relatable. I have been planning on taking the plunge with a fast as well, after reading your post, I too am going to do it. Not sure i'll make it half as long as you did, but i'm going to start with a day.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by dizzyorange View Post
                      Been a week since my last post, and I've only had 1 box of coconut cream bars. That was the day after an attempted mugging resulted in a broken nose. Otherwise I've eaten only chicken, beef, fish, veggies, and butter. I'm still planning to unload on a box of cream bars once a week, but that seems to fit in with the carb cycling plans I've been reading about. Otherwise I feel mostly craving free. Glad to be rid of the sugar demon!
                      Um, you might want to read some more about carb cycling. Something like sweet potatoes would be a better carb up option than coconut cream bars (which I'm assuming are full of sugar). Keeping those in the house is like keeping a pack of smokes around. Just sayin'....if it's not there you can't eat it and it is much easier to have will power at the grocery store that at midnight at home.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by clayjay View Post
                        Ahh this is so inspirational. I love your posts, so hilarious, and relatable. I have been planning on taking the plunge with a fast as well, after reading your post, I too am going to do it. Not sure i'll make it half as long as you did, but i'm going to start with a day.
                        Thanks clayjay, good luck with your plans. I think a fast is a good way to start because you feel leaner and meaner after just a day, and that motivates you to keep going. The toughest step is probably the first one.

                        Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        Um, you might want to read some more about carb cycling. Something like sweet potatoes would be a better carb up option than coconut cream bars (which I'm assuming are full of sugar). Keeping those in the house is like keeping a pack of smokes around. Just sayin'....if it's not there you can't eat it and it is much easier to have will power at the grocery store that at midnight at home.
                        Arghhh ok.

                        Will rice or regular potatoes do.. Not big fan of sweet potatoes. I assume the thing to avoid is fructose, right? As long as it's glucose does it matter if it's complex or simple starch?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by dizzyorange View Post
                          Will rice or regular potatoes do? Not big fan of sweet potatoes.
                          I'm not the re-feed expert. That would be Choco Taco. But from what I've heard any spuds or other root veggies or squash work fine. If you're going for rice, use the white kind not brown.

                          Candy bars don't count as a carb up and have no place in your cold turkey plan.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Hope your nose is feeling better. Glad you are okay, otherwise.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              If white potatoes don't bother you, they're fine. Some people peel them to reduce ingestion of anti-nutrients and potential pesticides, some don't. It's probably worth cutting them out of your diet for a little while to see if you feel better/any different without them, but if you're keeping your carbs up for now, they're still a much better choice than regular old bread or pasta.
                              Depression Lies

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                It's 24 hours into the New Year and I haven't eaten any sugar yet, except for strawberries.

                                Added potatoes to the mix lately and they are terrrrrrriiffic.

                                Also learning about stuff like potassium/sodium/mag and acid/base balance.

                                Got my vit D levels tested... they were 20 mmol/L (ideal 50-70)

                                New Years Day... feeling contemplative. The past 5 years have really sucked... I was a new college grad: great job, BMI = 20, immortal. Then bad habits. Amazing what 5 years of not taking care of your body does to you.

                                Things have been on the ups since the beginning of the month though. This primal stuff is great.


                                As John Clellon Homes put it:
                                Then he rushed up to them excitedly: “Gene, Gene, that’s what we must become! Beggars in Times Square! As soon as I saw that man I knew he was on the bottom, looking up, noticing the sky at last! I asked him, ‘What does it feel like to be Job?’ and he said, ‘Everything’s getting better all the time!’”
                                Last edited by dizzyorange; 01-01-2013, 10:18 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X