Almond milk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zach View Post
    All milk alternatives are complete garbage, including coconut, almond, rice and soy. They are full of fillers and gums and any actual vitamin or mineral in them has been added. Drink real milk from an animal.
    You need to find a better health food store. My coconut milk has one ingredient, coconuts. Yes, there are junky ones out there but that just means you have to read some labels. I also have nothing against cow juice.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkHolland View Post
      Almond milk can also made at home,by mixing ground almond with water in blender. You may also add Vanilla flavoring and sweeteners with it.
      This would be the best way if you were going with almonds. But this still has the problem of overdoing the nuts. I'm not sure exactly how many nuts would be required to make say a cup of almond milk but it would probably be substantially easier to over-consume liquified nuts as opposed to ones you had to chew. Yes, the PUFA patrol will tell you that almonds are going to wreck your O3/O6 balance, yada, yada. True but the key is in the quantities involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
        Nah, if I use coconut milk, I use the stuff from a can, full-fat and all, not that bottled or cartoned crap.

And all you need to make your own almond milk is almonds, water, and a blender.
        Even the kind in the can should have guar gum added to it.

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        You need to find a better health food store. My coconut milk has one ingredient, coconuts. Yes, there are junky ones out there but that just means you have to read some labels. I also have nothing against cow juice.
        Well i stand corrected then. What brand is it? Pure coconut milk would definitely be a good alternative, not for calcium, and all the other vits and minerals but thats what cheese and butter is for.

Comment

Well i stand corrected then. What brand is it? Pure coconut milk would definitely be a good alternative, not for calcium, and all the other vits and minerals but thats what cheese and butter is for.
          Aroy-D. I buy it at my local asian supermarket. You are right that dairy has lots of nutrients but coconut is not nutritionally void by any stretch. Look up the micros. Plus the MCT factor.

I like both and it is nice to change things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            Aroy-D. I buy it at my local asian supermarket. You are right that dairy has lots of nutrients but coconut is not nutritionally void by any stretch. Look up the micros. Plus the MCT factor.

I like both and it is nice to change things up.
            Oh no doubt coconut has a lot to offer, just meant as a replacement for milk. I will have to try to find that brand around here.

Comment

Oh no doubt coconut has a lot to offer, just meant as a replacement for milk. I will have to try to find that brand around here.
              http://www.realfooduniversity.com/nu...k-substitutes/

This is an interesting comparison chart. While the cow juice did much better on calcium and Vit A, the coconut milk came out ahead on Vit C and iron.

Comment

Yes but people dont usually drink milk for vit C or iron. They drink it for calcium, A, B's, D, also it has quite a bit of Phosphorus, selenium, potassium and zinc. I really just meant as a direct comparison to milk, non of these are good substitute. I agree that coconut milk is a high quality food and one of the best sources or saturated fat.

Comment

Even the kind in the can should have guar gum added to it.
                  I've seen a couple of brands before that don't have it. I forget the names, but there are good brands out there.
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Yes but people dont usually drink milk for vit C or iron. They drink it for calcium, A, B's, D, also it has quite a bit of Phosphorus, selenium, potassium and zinc. I really just meant as a direct comparison to milk, non of these are good substitute. I agree that coconut milk is a high quality food and one of the best sources or saturated fat.
                    Right. They are both good and mixing it up is a way to cover all the nutritional bases while keeping the taste buds happy.

Comment

I'm actually rather fond of soy milk, having grown up with it in Asia. I'd take it over almond milk any day, but almond milk is pretty gross if you read the ingredient list. Stick to real milk if you can tolerate the lactose.
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I second making your own if you want to use Almond milk.. no worries then about what else is in it..
                        & while its not something I have very often, homemade taste much nicer IMO
                        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                          Almond milk is a STELLAR source of vitamin E.
                          You mean a stellar source of poorly absorbed synthetic vitamin e? I guess it's a good thing it does, because it contains absurd amounts of PUFA, and phytates. Not to mention the solvents used to break down the nuts to liquid. In "organic" almond milk, I've even seen vitamin d2 added lol.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

I thought almond milk was a medieval food? Did people in 11th century Europe even have synthetic vitamins?

The pitch I've heard is that it was used as an off-season and storage-safe milk substitute 1000+ years ago. Or maybe it was just that the stuff I sampled was 1000 years old...tasted like it. Either way I think I would have to be seriously jonesing for milk, like way seriously, to drink what amounts to water with almond flour suspended in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Him View Post
                              I thought almond milk was a medieval food? Did people in 11th century Europe even have synthetic vitamins?
                              Yeah, almonds themselves (and many nuts) are a rich source of vitamin E so I'm not sure why the E in almond milk would need be synthetic. I don't know as I don't buy almond milk, but it doesn't make sense to me. As to PUFA its a not issue specifically because these sorts of foods are prepackaged with the necessary vitamins to make it so.

Comment

The first and only time I bought almond milk, I ended up feeding it to the garbage disposal......I'd much rather have coconut milk, even watered down if I've already had enough calories and fat for the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X