Alternate Day Fasting for Longevity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Day Fasting for Longevity

I see many IFers, but haven't seen any other ADFers besides myself? I guess it could be called intermittent fasting as well, but has anyone benefited from it and/or currently lives like this now?

If you haven't done any research or heard about it here's a Link:

Alternate Day Fasting Continues to Look Promising

On this thread, you said you were a 15-year-old male.
    good god, dude, get a grip.
    You should be stuffing your face with protein and good fats and veggies and probably some white rice.
    NOT fasting for "longevity" or any other reason for that matter.
    If you deprive your body of nutrition while you're still growing, you'll probably cut your longevity short for some other reason.
    Enjoy your youth,
    And don't think of fasting until you're 30 or 30 pounds overweight (not likely), whichever comes later.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
      On this thread, you said you were a 15-year-old male.
      good god, dude, get a grip.
      You should be stuffing your face with protein and good fats and veggies and probably some white rice.
      NOT fasting for "longevity" or any other reason for that matter.
      If you deprive your body of nutrition while you're still growing, you'll probably cut your longevity short for some other reason.
      Enjoy your youth,
      And don't think of fasting until you're 30 or 30 pounds overweight (not likely), whichever comes later.
      We share different interests, and it is probably concerning to hear a 15 year old practice ADF. But believing I will be deprived of nutrition because I cycle underfeeding/over feeding days won't happen if I eat a way that is nutritionally rich, and I do make sure I get everything and more. And you assume I fast for weight issues, I don't because I don't have them, ADF actually helped increase muscle mass and decrease or eliminated many health problems that regular Primal eating did not do alone. I know that is not the only way to get healthy and maintain health, but it worked for me and is still working.

My mother(for religious reasons) fasted 3x times a week as a teen and once fasted for 10 days. Is she weak and frail? No. Did She stunt her growth? Hell no. She's slightly above of average height for a women. When she stopped fasting as often, she started experiencing weakness, and more of many call "age-related" problems, but of course it can also be connected to her poorer diet, but's that's a different discussion.
      Last edited by Loneketo; 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I consider ADF in the IF family.

Typically, it's one day of normal calories plus 10%-20% more (this is the average based on human observational studies and they eat aynthing they want, not paleo or whatever), and one day of 25% of normal calories (usually around 500). The studies show that it's very healthy, and I don't see why it would be unhealthy for a teenager per se, so long as that teenager is getting enough calories across both days.

A couple of my friends do ADR and/or a 5-regular calories, 2-25% days which is a loose extension of the same idea, but without the 10-20% variation that ADF tends to create. So, it's 2000 calories on 5 days of the week and 500 on 2 days (or whatever your own ratios might be). This seems to work really well for people -- though I don't know any research done in teens.

I also fasted a lot as a teen -- one because it was my natural tendency (ie, i tended to not want to eat breakfast, same as now -- so I would often eat between a 12 and 8 window), and two because of religious reasons (often day-fasts where you eat before sunrise and after sunset). I was also fine. I didn't do this weekly per se (the religious ones), but I did do them fairly frequently (once a month or so, usually for a run of 2-5 days).

We are mostly concerned because we do get a LOT of teens on here with the beginnings of eating disorders (extreme calorie restriction) and they see this as another "hiding" method. . . "i'm eating healthy, just IFing!" which is the same as "just paloe, so no pizza!" or "vegetarian!" is often used to cover for eating disorders. So, we are cautious.

Comment

I can see how ADF could be healthy as long as one is still getting quality nutrition AND plenty of calories. Eating is inherently damaging to the body, but under eating is worse. Giving your body a short rest from all the toxins found in food and then super compensating to still get plenty of everything the next day might work well for health. Its when people chronically under-eat when fasting that can have many damaging effects. Lowering hormone production, lowering metabolism and freeing fatty acids are all related to premature aging and disease.

Comment

You are a 15 year old boy. Fasting is probably not a good idea unless you're willing to risk not reaching your full height. Seriously, fasting is a great way to lose fat, but not when your body is still growing and wanting ridiculous amounts of food (I've seen teenage boys eat, it's madness). I don't know whether or not you are overweight or just wanting to be healthier, but there are much better ways of going at it at your age. Really, just enjoy life and don't obsess so much over food right now. Your teen years are supposed to be fun.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I'm not fasting to loose fat.

And, I did fast as a teenager, and I'm tall (for my family, for my sex). I don't think it hindered me at all. ANd, I ate a lot as a teen -- just not all day long/all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneketo View Post
                I see many IFers, but haven't seen any other ADFers besides myself? I guess it could be called intermittent fasting as well, but has anyone benefited from it and/or currently lives like this now?

If you haven't done any research or heard about it here's a Link:

Alternate Day Fasting Continues to Look Promising
                At 15, I don't think you have to worry about fasting for longevity. I'd just stick to Paleo and then try crazy other things when you're older. But if you really want to, and it's convenient, then go for it..as long as you understand it's about starving yourself. It shouldn't be about losing weight -- if it is, then don't do it.
                Primal since September, 2011
                LeanGains IF
                -----
                Conquer your own world and become the leader of your own life
                Inner Gladiator

How To Never Get Sick (And Add 72,000 Hours To Your Life)

Comment

Originally posted by feren6 View Post
                  At 15, I don't think you have to worry about fasting for longevity. I'd just stick to Paleo and then try crazy other things when you're older. But if you really want to, and it's convenient, then go for it..as long as you understand it's about starving yourself. It shouldn't be about losing weight -- if it is, then don't do it.
                  Haha, very convenient actually. Fasting feels just as good as eating so as long as I eat enough I won't lose weight, since that's not the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                    You are a 15 year old boy. Fasting is probably not a good idea unless you're willing to risk not reaching your full height. Seriously, fasting is a great way to lose fat, but not when your body is still growing and wanting ridiculous amounts of food (I've seen teenage boys eat, it's madness). I don't know whether or not you are overweight or just wanting to be healthier, but there are much better ways of going at it at your age. Really, just enjoy life and don't obsess so much over food right now. Your teen years are supposed to be fun.
                    Except for 1/3 of the world fasts regularly every lunar year (Muslims...) LDS (Mormons) fast one Saturday evening to Sunday evening a month, etc etc. That's a lot of kids that aren't screwed up from fasting.
                    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Originally posted by Loneketo View Post
                      Haha, very convenient actually. Fasting feels just as good as eating so as long as I eat enough I won't lose weight, since that's not the point.
                      I havent completely followed this, but my son turns 19 today, and for the last few years, he is mostly one meal a day. Sometimes 2 meals, about every 12 hours sometimes. He is a bean pole. When he cut back the Dew and some of the fast food, he noticed he had more muscle definition w/o any other effort.

Both my sons eat this way, and both are lean. I can remember before I started my journey, my older son would come by and I would always try to stuff food down him, ya know, cuz that's what Moms do when they love you, and I could never understand it when he would say, No thank you, I am not hungry. I finally understand that now, but then it was a strange concept to me :P

Anyways, DS isnt into it for any other reason than it is just normal for him. He doesnt like to eat when he gets up, he never has. But when he does eat, he can pack it away and just naturally leans towards more primal at least when he is eating at home.
                      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I fasted once a week in high school, every Sunday from supper to supper Monday. I was 16-17 years old. I don't know how much the extra year older would make as to development. I also don't know if being female makes a difference in full physical development at that age.

Girls used to marry at 14 and boys married very young also, and that's not Grok, that's 150 years ago or so. We tend to infantilze our children longer now because of more access to extended education, the complexity of the world, etc. But physically, they are adults once they can reproduce.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Also, Loneketo, do you fast every other day consistently? Twice a week? Other? I'm interested in this topic.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Maybe I'm biased, but I believe that the reason why calorie restriction and fasting shows benefits is largely because if you're reducing calories on a standard American diet, you're reducing the amount of grains, vegetable oils and other processed foods you're taking in by accident. Someone eating 500 calories a day of wheat and soybean oil is more likely to live longer than someone eating 1,000 calories a day of wheat and soybean oil, even if the percentage of daily calories it makes up is the same. If someone follows a Primal Blueprint eating plan where toxic modern foods are eliminated, I wonder if the same health benefits would be realized.
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                              Maybe I'm biased, but I believe that the reason why calorie restriction and fasting shows benefits is largely because if you're reducing calories on a standard American diet, you're reducing the amount of grains, vegetable oils and other processed foods you're taking in by accident. Someone eating 500 calories a day of wheat and soybean oil is more likely to live longer than someone eating 1,000 calories a day of wheat and soybean oil, even if the percentage of daily calories it makes up is the same. If someone follows a Primal Blueprint eating plan where toxic modern foods are eliminated, I wonder if the same health benefits would be realized.
                              Choco- I have always wondered the exact same thing. Is it the reduction of calories or the reduction of SAD calories entering the body?

I haven't been able to track down any reports or findings regarding calorie reduction using people consuming a Primal/Paleo diet. Anyone have a reference?

Comment

Working...
                              X