Butter or coconut fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butter or coconut fat

I think I need to get more fat in my diet because I am craving bread and other processed carbs and I read that could be because one is not getting enough fat in their diet. So, what would be better...butter or coconut fat found in the jars at Whole Foods??

Thanks.

They are both good, but if you are able to get pasture butter, that probably packs a bigger nutritional punch than coconut oil. On the other hand, CO has it's own benefits as well. Personally I use both and just use whatever I happen to be in the mood for at that time.

Comment

Both, though butter tastes infinitely better than coconut oil.
      Make America Great Again

Comment

Both are great. For butter, we around the MDA forums love our Kerrygold! It's pastured butter so plus to that!

Coconut oil is, in my opinion, a little easier to use on the fly than butter is and it is my go-to cooking fat now. You also don't have to worry about it being pastured.

Also, to get more fat, make sure to include olive oil as well, but not for cooking. Use good quality olive oil for your salad dressings, to top steamed veggies, for dips, and other similar uses.

If you tollerate dairy, you might try cream-based sauces and dips as well.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Yeah, Kerrygold is pretty good. It's super cheap too. I prefer raw butter myself, but it doesn't really matter.

I only really like coconut oil in my coffee, otherwise it leaves this weird aftertaste that really bothers me.
          Make America Great Again

Comment

I use both but it really depends on what I'm making. Lately I prefer grass fed butter over coconut oil. Everything just taste better with butter.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              Yeah, Kerrygold is pretty good. It's super cheap too. I prefer raw butter myself, but it doesn't really matter.

I only really like coconut oil in my coffee, otherwise it leaves this weird aftertaste that really bothers me.
              For me personally, it depends on what I'm cooking.

Grass-fed steak cooked to a perfect medium rare, seared in a pan with a nice pat of grass-fed butter? Hell yes.

Awesome primal omelette done in a tablespoon of coconut oil? Damn right!

Sauted veggies cooked in coconut oil? Oh yeah.

Steamed veggies with a nice pat of butter on top? Yeah, you bet!
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

or if that is a big leap, why not have coconut milk in your coffee or heavy cream/greek yoghurt and berries for a meal?

Comment

It depends on your tastes and how you plan to use it in cooking and eating. Some people dislike the flavor that coconut oil gives to food, whereas butter in cooking is almost universally loved. As far as health benefits go, coconut oil contains more medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), and some people avoid butter if they're sensitive to dairy, even if butter contains little lactose.
                  F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Both, though butter tastes infinitely better than coconut oil.
                    I like both too but I find my sense of which tastes better changes. Sometimes I am craving one and sometimes the other. Then there are some times that one or the other just doesn't appeal at all. It would be interesting to explore the biochemical mechanisms behind those changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      I like both too but I find my sense of which tastes better changes. Sometimes I am craving one and sometimes the other. Then there are some times that one or the other just doesn't appeal at all. It would be interesting to explore the biochemical mechanisms behind those changes.
                      What sort of coconut oil do you use? I don't get any allergic reactions from extra virgin, so I've just been using that because it's a lot cheaper at Trader Joe's. If there are some superior tasting coconut oils out there, I'm all for a change though.
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

What sort of coconut oil do you use? I don't get any allergic reactions from extra virgin, so I've just been using that because it's a lot cheaper at Trader Joe's. If there are some superior tasting coconut oils out there, I'm all for a change though.
                        I use Nutiva brand which I find at Sprouts or Whole Paycheck.

Comment

Haha, Whole Paycheck. Thanks, I'll buy that next time I'm at Sprouts.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            I use Nutiva brand which I find at Sprouts or Whole Paycheck.
                            Get on Nutiva's website. They run some really good deals from time to time and typically send out an email once a week with a combo package. Last weeks was 1/2gal of EVCO and some coconut manna, hemp and chia seeds for like $50 or something, free shipping to boot.
                            Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
                            SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
                            CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Comment

Thanks to everyone! I think I'll go with the butter first. I read that if one is doing the paleo and is still hungry it could possibly be from not eating enough fat.

Comment

Working...
                              X