Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging onto my last thread of CW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hanging onto my last thread of CW

    So I have fully embraced replacing my diet with a Primal one and am doing pretty good. My weight loss has been a little rocky, however. I think one reason, from what I have been reading, is that I am not getting enough fat in my diet. I know this probably stems from the last bit of conventional wisdom I am holding on to but I have not quite embraced getting myself to go all in on the fat. Part of this stems from the fact that I have some high blood pressure that I have had to keep in line with a small dose of blood pressure meds(i will be so glad when i can ditch them). I will say that I do very much love coconut, and I know that coconut is a great fat to ingest. I have seen before where Mark has talked about drinking straight coconut milk, and from a taste standpoint I would LOVE to do this. I guess what this leaves me with is some questions.

    First of all, what can I expect to happen with my blood pressure immediately after consuming the extra fats. Will it go up due to my body becoming acclimated to fat burning?

    How much should I really be consuming a day? I am a 6'2" 260 pound male.

    Besides animal fat, coconut, and avocado what other methods are recommended?

    Here is an example of my diet for today just to see what I am missing:

    Breakfast-4 eggs scrambled with mushrooms, bacon, and banana peppers.

    Lunch - Large salad with some meat in it, and oil and vinegar dressing.

    Dinner - 10oz steak, grilled asparagus, steamed broccoli.

    Snack - 1 kiwifruit, and 1 handful(at most) almonds.

    Please any advice you could give would be great!
    Starting Weight - 280lbs
    Current - 280bs
    Goal - Around 200lbs(will be focusing on the mirror and not the scale then)
    Working hard to make a healthier and more active me.

  • #2
    Originally posted by mauler5858 View Post
    Here is an example of my diet for today just to see what I am missing:

    Breakfast-4 eggs scrambled with mushrooms, bacon, and banana peppers.

    Lunch - Large salad with some meat in it, and oil and vinegar dressing.

    Dinner - 10oz steak, grilled asparagus, steamed broccoli.

    Snack - 1 kiwifruit, and 1 handful(at most) almonds.

    Please any advice you could give would be great!
    If you eat similar to that every day, you will be good to go. Some tweaks would include giving up the snack, skip breakfast and don't eat til lunch, and cut back a little on the olive oil on your salad, but it will all come down to you and what makes you tick.

    Your diet looks pretty solid. Add in liver and fish a couple times a week and you are golden. I think you should stick with it for a month or so, if the weight isn't dropping like you think it should, then add in some tweaks. Go easy on the fruit, and make sure if you are eating out there isn't any hidden veg oil, sugar, flour in what you are eating.

    Comment


    • #3
      I feel like this is a really small amount of food for someone your size, unless these are massive portions. I eat more than this daily, and I'm just a lil' guy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
        I feel like this is a really small amount of food for someone your size, unless these are massive portions. I eat more than this daily, and I'm just a lil' guy.
        Yeah, but Mr. A, you are already lean whereas he is still trying to shed some lbs. His body can get the extra it needs from storage. You have to get all yours from your plate.

        Comment


        • #5
          hm, i might kick the nuts (sorry, i had to say it).
          anyhow, many find nuts a little inflammatory, and hard to stop at just a 1/4 cup or so. when you eat a handful, is it a bigass handful, or reasonable? can you add some avocado to your salad? schmear some good butter or ghee onto your broccoli, mr!
          i'm no expert. just sayin'.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mauler5858 View Post
            So I have fully embraced replacing my diet with a Primal one and am doing pretty good. My weight loss has been a little rocky, however. I think one reason, from what I have been reading, is that I am not getting enough fat in my diet. I know this probably stems from the last bit of conventional wisdom I am holding on to but I have not quite embraced getting myself to go all in on the fat. Part of this stems from the fact that I have some high blood pressure that I have had to keep in line with a small dose of blood pressure meds(i will be so glad when i can ditch them). I will say that I do very much love coconut, and I know that coconut is a great fat to ingest. I have seen before where Mark has talked about drinking straight coconut milk, and from a taste standpoint I would LOVE to do this. I guess what this leaves me with is some questions.

            First of all, what can I expect to happen with my blood pressure immediately after consuming the extra fats. Will it go up due to my body becoming acclimated to fat burning?

            How much should I really be consuming a day? I am a 6'2" 260 pound male.

            Besides animal fat, coconut, and avocado what other methods are recommended?

            Here is an example of my diet for today just to see what I am missing:

            Breakfast-4 eggs scrambled with mushrooms, bacon, and banana peppers.

            Lunch - Large salad with some meat in it, and oil and vinegar dressing.

            Dinner - 10oz steak, grilled asparagus, steamed broccoli.

            Snack - 1 kiwifruit, and 1 handful(at most) almonds.

            Please any advice you could give would be great!
            Consuming fat should not affect your blood pressure. It usually drops like a rock when people reduce carbohydrates.

            Drinking a whole can of coconut milk might make you very sick. It certainly made me sick.

            If you eat more fat, you'll probably be able to eat less food. You'll probably not need the snack and your salad could probably be smaller without feeling an impact on your appetite. This doesn't happen to everybody but it happens to a lot of people.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              Consuming fat should not affect your blood pressure. It usually drops like a rock when people reduce carbohydrates.

              Drinking a whole can of coconut milk might make you very sick. It certainly made me sick.

              If you eat more fat, you'll probably be able to eat less food. You'll probably not need the snack and your salad could probably be smaller without feeling an impact on your appetite. This doesn't happen to everybody but it happens to a lot of people.
              i'm plus 1'ing this because, well, about the coconut milk.. i think you're just supposed to maybe have like 1/4 at a time to sip on, not going crazy on the can. also, in my experience, my high fat diet will totally quell my hunger as long as i wait. say i have a small high fat meal, say a salad with tons of bacon and avocado and some oil dressing.. if i eat that, i will still feel hungry afterward for about 30 minutes. but after that, i suddenly feel full for many many hours. it has a delayed, lasting effect. so stop before you are full, wait, and then enjoy your satiation!

              some great ways to enjoy coconut oil is by a drizzle of the warm oil over your fruit, maybe even instead of the handful of nuts! NOM NOM!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mauler5858 View Post
                So I have fully embraced replacing my diet with a Primal one and am doing pretty good. My weight loss has been a little rocky, however. I think one reason, from what I have been reading, is that I am not getting enough fat in my diet. I know this probably stems from the last bit of conventional wisdom I am holding on to but I have not quite embraced getting myself to go all in on the fat. Part of this stems from the fact that I have some high blood pressure that I have had to keep in line with a small dose of blood pressure meds(i will be so glad when i can ditch them). I will say that I do very much love coconut, and I know that coconut is a great fat to ingest. I have seen before where Mark has talked about drinking straight coconut milk, and from a taste standpoint I would LOVE to do this. I guess what this leaves me with is some questions.

                First of all, what can I expect to happen with my blood pressure immediately after consuming the extra fats. Will it go up due to my body becoming acclimated to fat burning?

                How much should I really be consuming a day? I am a 6'2" 260 pound male.

                Besides animal fat, coconut, and avocado what other methods are recommended?

                Here is an example of my diet for today just to see what I am missing:

                Breakfast-4 eggs scrambled with mushrooms, bacon, and banana peppers.

                Lunch - Large salad with some meat in it, and oil and vinegar dressing.

                Dinner - 10oz steak, grilled asparagus, steamed broccoli.

                Snack - 1 kiwifruit, and 1 handful(at most) almonds.

                Please any advice you could give would be great!
                Menu looks great! How long have you been eating like that? It takes time to lose weight -- it won't come off in a week. But in a month you'll look a hell of a lot better..
                Primal since September, 2011
                LeanGains IF
                -----
                Conquer your own world and become the leader of your own life
                Inner Gladiator

                How To Never Get Sick (And Add 72,000 Hours To Your Life)

                Comment


                • #9
                  And age...what's your age. Us 'more mature types' cannot compete with a 20 year old. Give us a few more facts to work with. /Lu
                  ----------------------------------------
                  F, 48, 5'10"
                  Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                  Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

                  Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X