Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Week-long Fast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Working full-time while fasting is difficult. Each night, co-workers bring in snacks and things, or eat their lunches in close proximity. Someone had bacon, and the smell was INTENSE. My sense of smell seems to have improved somewhat, because I can smell food from afar. My reaction to the bacon was immediate and intense. About 6 days in, and the cravings still haven't fully subsided. I can only hope things improve.

    Comment


    • #62
      What is your wife thinking of the fast?

      Comment


      • #63
        Wow, Char very inspirational. Keep up the good work. My longest fast was 48 hours. That was pretty tough, so I can't imagine going a week or longer without food. I know I could go longer than 48 hours without food but I was worried about losing muscle mass. I have heard that around day 4 is when you start losing muscle during a fast. I purposely decided to do my long fast while I was doing a deload week from lifting and when I came back afterwards I didn't lose any strength, in fact I gained a little.
        Fitness Wayne | Paleo Health, Exercise and Weight Loss Blog
        Fitness Wayne Facebook Page

        Comment


        • #64
          I'd noticed the sense of smell thing too. It's amazing how the scent of food can waft through a building, or down the street!

          I'm on a feeding day but I'm looking forward to getting back into fasting mode again.

          You're doing very well! Curious to hear more about how it's going for you.

          Comment


          • #65
            Interesting thread and good that you keep posting (both for yourself and for us).
            maybe the hourlong stroll on the threadmill was pushing the limits?
            You are working fulltime I understand from your posts and with the financial burden put quite some stress on yourself.

            Anyhow, I wish you luck and take care of yourself!

            Comment


            • #66
              Hi there!

              I've been lurking around here for a while and decided I should probably start an account. I enjoy reading these kinds of threads greatly as it helps me gauge and understand my own experiences as well.

              I think you are handling this very well and in a very logical manner. I deal with some of the same emotional/mental issues in regards to food as you do (probably more in common than I care to admit to myself) and I am very interested to see how your perspective/attitude towards food changes as you continue.

              The longest I have fasted is about 30 hours straight, but I am currently coming up on 23 hours fasting and wish to continue to go longer as i'm currently battling a lung and sinus infection and wish to speed the recovery process as much as possible. I noticed during the last week that when I ate while being sick, the food helped me feel "good" for a moment, but it seemed to make me get "sicker" too. Digestional and more coughing, etc. Like my body had to switch focus.

              After reading through all the posts on this thread I was inspired to try and make my own "Paleo-Aid" so to speak as I usually have problems with hunger pangs around the 24 hour mark and figured this might help me out as I can lay off regular food but keep my electrolytes/vitamins/etc in check.

              Not trying to thread jack but thought this might be helpful to anyone who had a similar idea: I went out and bought a bag of organic lemons, limes (lower in sugar and good nutrition in them too), some natural sea salt (REAL SALT brand name), as well as some Tazo Green Ginger and Spearmint tea. I plan on doing single servings to preserve freshness as much as possible. My first batch consisted of steeping some ginger tea in a cup, cutting up a lime and squeezing all the juice into a glass, half a lemon's as well (don't want all of those sugar carbs), pouring the contents of an AOR multivitamin into the citrus juice and some sea salt (too much admittedly, will need to cut that back some for taste reasons). I then poured the tea into this mixture, added some chilled filtered water to top it off and drank it. It's actually pretty soothing/refreshing and I'm not hungry. It would probably taste better chilled/iced though for someone who is not sick.

              Anyway, I really wish you the best of luck on this and hope to see more updates on your progress as you continue. Just listen to your body and be safe as you are doing now. I think you can reach your goals if you keep your head in it.
              Quite literally, the wittiest signature line you can think of.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                What is your wife thinking of the fast?
                Initially, when I first announced my intent, she was a little reticent. These days however, now that she realizes I'm not going to slip into a coma or anything, she's much more comfortable with it. I gave her a few articles on fasting to read and she's even considering trying a short fast sometime in the future. She's been quite supportive, so I'm thankful of that.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Fitness Wayne View Post
                  Wow, Char very inspirational. Keep up the good work. My longest fast was 48 hours. That was pretty tough, so I can't imagine going a week or longer without food. I know I could go longer than 48 hours without food but I was worried about losing muscle mass. I have heard that around day 4 is when you start losing muscle during a fast. I purposely decided to do my long fast while I was doing a deload week from lifting and when I came back afterwards I didn't lose any strength, in fact I gained a little.
                  Thanks for the comment, Wayne. The muscle loss is a concern, although I'm not terribly muscular as it is. The way I see it, I will probably be able to regain the 1-2 pounds of muscle in the weeks after the fast. Losing the fat is the hardest part! It's interesting that you gained a little strength at the end of your fast.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Cool. My Honey has been very supportive when I fast, which I was surprised by. But it turns out he really WAS listening when I explained about autophagy! I don't tell most of my friends, though. With two exceptions, I know they would freak out and start spouting CW at me. I have found the- not feeling very well today, so I'll just sip some tea- excuse to be very useful.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                      I'd noticed the sense of smell thing too. It's amazing how the scent of food can waft through a building, or down the street!

                      I'm on a feeding day but I'm looking forward to getting back into fasting mode again.

                      You're doing very well! Curious to hear more about how it's going for you.
                      It's going surprisingly well today. I don't want to jinx myself, but I feel, somewhat, that I've reached a turning point. I felt awful before bed and just sort of flopped down after work. I slept quite a while and awoke feeling refreshed. Hunger is practically gone and I'm preparing for a nice cup of iced Oolong tea. Can't believe I'm headed into my seventh day without food. I'll update later tonight with all of my stats! Thanks for reading!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                        Cool. My Honey has been very supportive when I fast, which I was surprised by. But it turns out he really WAS listening when I explained about autophagy! I don't tell most of my friends, though. With two exceptions, I know they would freak out and start spouting CW at me. I have found the- not feeling very well today, so I'll just sip some tea- excuse to be very useful.
                        Haha, I work night-shift at a local hospital. I made the mistake of mentioning my fast to a couple of the nurses. It was as though I'd told them I had a bomb strapped to my chest. Their eyes grew wide and they said, in unison, "That's not good for you. Why would you do that??" I explained to them all of the research I've done into fasting, and how it is that my body's getting by. They were a little more understanding after that. I haven't bothered telling anyone else in my family for fear of them freaking out. They'll be seeing me at Christmas, so I'll likely explain it then.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by halfbunny View Post
                          Interesting thread and good that you keep posting (both for yourself and for us).
                          maybe the hourlong stroll on the threadmill was pushing the limits?
                          You are working fulltime I understand from your posts and with the financial burden put quite some stress on yourself.

                          Anyhow, I wish you luck and take care of yourself!
                          It might've been pushing it a little, yeah. A half-hour may have been more reasonable. I'm going to go for a short walk with my family today, so hopefully I'll manage better than I did yesterday. Thanks for reading!

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by jadedgamerx View Post
                            Hi there!

                            I've been lurking around here for a while and decided I should probably start an account. I enjoy reading these kinds of threads greatly as it helps me gauge and understand my own experiences as well.

                            I think you are handling this very well and in a very logical manner. I deal with some of the same emotional/mental issues in regards to food as you do (probably more in common than I care to admit to myself) and I am very interested to see how your perspective/attitude towards food changes as you continue.

                            The longest I have fasted is about 30 hours straight, but I am currently coming up on 23 hours fasting and wish to continue to go longer as i'm currently battling a lung and sinus infection and wish to speed the recovery process as much as possible. I noticed during the last week that when I ate while being sick, the food helped me feel "good" for a moment, but it seemed to make me get "sicker" too. Digestional and more coughing, etc. Like my body had to switch focus.

                            After reading through all the posts on this thread I was inspired to try and make my own "Paleo-Aid" so to speak as I usually have problems with hunger pangs around the 24 hour mark and figured this might help me out as I can lay off regular food but keep my electrolytes/vitamins/etc in check.

                            Not trying to thread jack but thought this might be helpful to anyone who had a similar idea: I went out and bought a bag of organic lemons, limes (lower in sugar and good nutrition in them too), some natural sea salt (REAL SALT brand name), as well as some Tazo Green Ginger and Spearmint tea. I plan on doing single servings to preserve freshness as much as possible. My first batch consisted of steeping some ginger tea in a cup, cutting up a lime and squeezing all the juice into a glass, half a lemon's as well (don't want all of those sugar carbs), pouring the contents of an AOR multivitamin into the citrus juice and some sea salt (too much admittedly, will need to cut that back some for taste reasons). I then poured the tea into this mixture, added some chilled filtered water to top it off and drank it. It's actually pretty soothing/refreshing and I'm not hungry. It would probably taste better chilled/iced though for someone who is not sick.

                            Anyway, I really wish you the best of luck on this and hope to see more updates on your progress as you continue. Just listen to your body and be safe as you are doing now. I think you can reach your goals if you keep your head in it.
                            Thanks for your comment! It sounds like you know what you're doing. The Paleo-Aid has been helping me. I'll probably have a little today myself. If your longest fast is 30 hours and you're using the Paleo-Aid, I think you'll definitely be able to go longer. I'd try for 36, and if you feel well enough, perhaps longer. Don't worry about thread-jacking, haha. This thread is meant to serve as a resource, so anyone who's got anything insightful to say about fasting is welcome. I appreciate your input!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Best wishes to you Char Aznable. It has been a long time since I have done an extended fast. What impressed me most about it(my intention for fasting was for spiritual purposes) was, as others have mentioned, the mental clarity: I like to compare it to a dial-up modem suddenly being upgraded to DSL, in my case, at least. I am sure that if people wd. fast, (instead of using illicit substances such as hallucinogenics ) to enhance normal waking consciousness rather than seeking an altered consciousness,, our culture wd. be much the better. I know your goal is weight loss, and you seem to be reasonable about it and your thread has attracted some reasonable people. Please continue in such a way only as long as your mental processes- and therefore your judgement, stay intact- and be willing to listen to others, esp. those who are actually present with you and not twice-removed. I now have a chronic health condition, but I am going to consider a fast if it can be done safely. Good luck.
                              Last edited by Terry H; 12-08-2012, 06:03 PM. Reason: addendum

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Thanks for your comment, Terry. There are a lot of benefits to fasting, and although my main goal is to lose weight, I would be a fool to dismiss the others. I haven't had an especially clear mind throughout the bulk of this fast, but I'm hoping that'll change!

                                Today's stats:
                                Weight: 280.2
                                BP: 130/73
                                HR:116

                                Pretty decent stats, methinks! Weight is still dropping and blood pressure is pretty decent. Heart rate is a little high, but any number of things might be influencing that. I've been fairly active today, and the activity might be reflected there.

                                Feeling better today than I have in a while. My mind is more clear and my cravings have been minimized. I went for a walk at the local mall with my family today and, as we walked laps, rounded the food court numerous times. Smelling the food was nice, but I didn't feel at all tempted to take any samples or anything. My old clothes are starting to fit a little better, which is a great motivator.

                                Not a whole lot to report for today! I've been trying to get better sleep and I supplemented today with lemon juice and sea salt. Going to go grocery shopping tomorrow with my wife. I'll pick up more lemons and a few little things in preparation for the end of my fast. I'm going to have some organic apple sauce to break the fast, I think. The end of the fast is still about 10 days away, but buying the applesauce now will make it a little easier for me to visualize the finish-line. On the day I break my fast, I think I'll start off with applesauce and, if my body does OK with it, I may try a few blackberries. If the applesauce and blackberries go down with no problem, I might go for a couple of almonds. Supposing that those go off without a hitch, I'll try small portions of normal fare and slowly work my way up to eating normal amounts. Hopefully, by Chrismas, I'll be eating more or less normally. Based on what I've read in other accounts, this is a pretty reasonable goal.

                                Post-fast, I intend to eat quite a lot for about two days. The 25th and 26th will be re-feed days and, assuming my body can handle it, I'll eat anything I please (healthy stuff, of course). I'll top off my glycogen stores and give my body a healthy bolus of calories. After that, I'll begin weight training and exercising on a daily basis and only eating when hunger naturally occurs. I suppose it'll be IF. This method seems to be more or less what others have chosen to do after extended fasts and I think, considering my past experience and success with IF, it'll suit me well and help me from regaining anything but water/nutrient weight.

                                I'd also like to say thank you to everyone who's posted in this thread. Your support keeps me going and makes me feel accountable! I hope you all continue to find my accounts useful!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X