Primal Ice Cream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Ice Cream

I came across a really simple recipe for primal ice cream last night.

Frozen bananas. Pureed.

Apparently, the writer said that she figured it would be "icey" vs "creamy" and she was happily proven wrong.

I haven't tried this, but it's amazingly simple, and obviously primal.

The writer of the article said that her sister will often add a touch of maple syrup or some peanut butter to increase the creaminess & sweetness factor.

Just thought I'd share!
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Why puree?! peel them, put a stick in them, cling flim, freeze and you have banana ice cream lollies!

optional adition of nuts or chocolate on outside!
    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

The "ice cream" really does work quite well! It ends up with the texture of good, quality ice cream. One banana fits nicely in the cup of my magic bullet blender. =] I just used banana when I've made it... next time I'll try adding a bit of almond butter, I bet that would be good. Or some shredded coconut maybe.
      "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

couldnt you whip heavy cream and coconut milk together??
        Get on my Level
        http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Im going to be putting egg yolks, coconut milk and a bit of heavy cream with a touch of honey and cinnamon into my ice cream maker: Homemade Coconut Frozen Custard
          Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

This. Sounds. Spectacular.
            Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

*watching with interest*

Comment

No reason you couldn't put in some chocolate, the darker the better of course, chip it... melt it and mix in... Stands to reason you could add a mint leaf or 2. Or any fruit that you might be eating. Peach ice cream. Strawberry? Blackberry? Blueberry...

Comment

woo.. that sounds very good. I just jumped on the site because I'm trying very hard to ignore my brain ...it wants a snickers bar from the candy machine..really bad. I work 24 hour shifts and I brought 4 eggs, 6 raspberries, a tiny bit of shrimp pate. I had a banana chocolate vivanno smoothie from starbucks and a couple hours later I ate my hard boiled eggs and shrimp pate. I had 1/3 lb of shredded pork bbq a cornbread pancake (agh) and some vinegar based cabbage slaw mixed with some baked beans (eeh) I was starving and there are hardly any options around my work that aren't fast food. so now it's like 5 hours later and I'm craving a snickers bar. I guess I'm really paying for not going to the grocery store yesterday. : ( I read in the book this morning that I always need to have primal snacks in my bag, car and everywhere.. now I see why! It will keep me from going astray.
                  Definitely going to try this 'treat' sometime soon. I'll post a pic when I make it.
                  sigpic

Comment

I used to make it in my food processor--just a frozen banana, a little coconut milk for creaminess and a touch of vanilla--YUM! The banana certainly makes it sweet enough...
                    My Before/After Pics
                    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

I tried this out on the weekend and loved it. I added almond butter and like FairyRae I put in a bit of vanilla. I used a splash of 35% whipping cream, too, but didn't think to use coconut milk. Next time, since I'll be having it again for sure.
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

My favorite: 1 frozen banana, 1/4 of an avocado, 1 tablespoon cocoa, dash of cinnamon, splash of vanilla....blend in the food processor! The avocado makes it really creamy, and you can't taste it at all! I love the taste of avocado, for the record, but the chocolate/banana take over. Plus, it adds some fat to the sugar/carbs in the banana, which helps me be satisfied with the 1/2 cup-ish that it makes.
                        You are what you eat,
                        and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Bananas - the history of the bananas we eat is fascinating and disturbing. We have a little shack in Costa Rica, no roads to the area (on the Caribbean side), and about 100 yards from the entrance to a huge national park, quite wonderful. I had been reading about "real" bananas - the precursor to the modern, seedless banana, so I got one of our local friends to find me some and planted them. I think of them as the "Ur banana". When real bananas are ripe, they split open like a flower (in that they look like a lily) to disperse the seeds. They are only a few inches long, a pretty rose-purple color, and completely inedible. Basically they are pods full of seeds held together by flesh that looks and smells like commercial bananas but produces quite the pucker when eaten (also, there is only a tiny amount of this flesh, it's mostly seeds). I'm not saying don't eat bananas, but like so many things they sure aren't anything like what grok encountered.

Comment

How would you make a primal Pistachio ice cream?
                            My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

i was wondering about a homemade icecream substitute. i helped my mom on mother's day make some. when i looked at the ingredient list everything would A-ok for a PBer...except the half a cup of sugar you put into the egg yolks. i was wondering if you could sub another sweet flavor like more vanilla (recipe already calls for it), cinnamon, honey etc? it seemed like the sugar helped to thicken it up so i didn't know if this would mess up the process.
                              i will maintain the truth
                              i knew naturally as a child
                              i won't forfeit my creativity
                              to a world that's all laid out for me
                              i'll look at everything around me
                              and i will vow to bear in mind
                              that all of this was just someone's idea
                              it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Comment

Working...
                              X