Primal Ice Cream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by strom View Post
    How would you make a primal Pistachio ice cream?
    I would kill for a great recipe for this. I've tried to figure out how to do a primal version of the pistachio shakes I loved when I was pre-primal and was ok with throwing in a little sugar free pudding mix!

Is there a thread around here that has multiple recipes for ice cream primarily using coconut milk? The search function is never good to me, and as soon as I start a thread asking about it, I'll be directed to old threads I couldn't find......
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Bump, marking my spot for later review...... These recipes look great!
      Lady Gecko, a.k.a. Theresa.

Comment

Okay, so I found this great recipe for pumpkin ice cream, but I'm leaving out the maple syrup. If I was dying for that maple flavor, I could always use extract, but I'm sure it will be great without. I'm adding cloves and probably some macadamia nuts.......and I'm sure there will be more with future experiments.

The Food Lovers' Primal Palate: Pumpkin Ice Cream
        Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by rockstareddy View Post
          Hmm interesting. So do you think I could remove ALL the sugar content if I used a few shots of vodka and some extract... and still get a soft scoop in the deep freeze? Really? The reason I didn't want to use alcohol was to see if I could develop a healthy icecream recipe for commercial production. I dont think any commercial icecreams use alcohol. And I dont magine extract alone would make it soft lol
          Absolutely. I do it all the time. 50% heavy cream and 50% coconut milk with approximately 3 tablespoons of vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons spiced rum and 2 tablespoons vodka will make you an excellent vanilla ice cream base. From there, just convert that into what you want - add chocolate chunks, add cocoa powder for chocolate, add mint leaves and chocolate chunks for mint chocolate chip, etc. I have NEVER put any kind of sugar in my ice creams and I've never had any freezing issues. It comes out the same as store-bought Breyers with that extract and alcohol combination.

Note: that's for a half gallon of ice cream. I'm assuming 40 proof vodka and 40 proof spiced rum.
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Cheers, I will definitely try that at some ponit. you use your icecream maker for that? or just chuck it in the freezer?
            www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

My wife and I have been eating the sugar free ice cream we see in the grocery store and my weight loss hasn't been slowed at all. We'll usually eat a small cup every day.

What screwed up MY weight loss was the dark chocolate binge I went on two weeks ago! Hard lesson learned.
              Last edited by PaleoPenn; 09-25-2011, 04:25 AM.
              52 year old Male
              Goal: 185lbs
              April 10th: 220lbs

Comment

I want to try these recipes! Putting my ice cream maker's chilly parts in the the freezer NOW!!!

Comment

something i make after a heavy lifting session

heres how i do mine:

in a mini blender (stick blender works, but it takes longer and is harder) throw in:

random amount of FROZEN berries or fruit (I use Asdas mixed berries from the freezer section theyre about £2 and will last 8-10 "fluffs" depending on how many handfuls you lob in)

1 Scoop on MP Impact Whey (i used chocolate, any will do)

blend untill it looks blended, it shouldnt look like sorbet or liquidy at this point, it should look DRY (reminds me of cheesecake base) if you eat a bit, it should melt and taste the bomb even at this point.

Now transfer the mixture to a bowl or soemthing you can whisk it easily in

Add NO MORE than 60ml water, i add it in tiny amounts untill my whisk can turn easily.

Whisk for 2-3mins untill the mixture fluffs and its light and airy, the consistency of whipped cream is what your after.

Video:

for only a scoop of whey and some berries its proper filling!

try it
                  "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

Comment

Originally posted by freerangemama View Post
                    You know what would be great on that -- primal "Magic Shell" chocolate coating... Basically melt 2 Tbsp of coconut oil in a double boiler and then add 8oz of chocolate. Stir together 'til melted, then let cool a bit and top your "ice cream". The cold makes the coconut oil in the mixture harden and then you have that satisfying crack like the dipped cones from Dairy Queen, but without all the crap! You can store it in the fridge between using and just warm it up to get the flow before serving.
                    I totally saw this in the New York Times. I tried it with my non primal husband. He loves it and it is not full of all the S*it that is in magic shell. We love it.

Comment

I make mine with 2 tins of coconut cream, half a cup of pure maple syrup and 2 eggs.

Comment

I've been making the banana fake ice cream for years due to lactose intolerance and my husbands propensity to eat regular ice cream like Ben & Jerrys in front of me some evenings in the summer.

I figured out that a single banana (sliced into rounds and frozen), a couple of spoons of plain yogurt (full fat greek/euro), a dab of vanilla bean paste, and wizzzzzzz until smooth in a food processor. Sprinkle on some dark choc chips and walnuts and it's even better than that B&J's Chunky Monkey IMO!

Sometimes I add other frozen fruits... and it basically tastes like whatever fruit flavored frozen yogurt.

I really dislike the recipes that use cocoa powder or nut butters though... bleh!
                        Last edited by cori93437; 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM.
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

bookmarked this thread

question: if I only make fresh ice cream when I want it, can I leave out the alcohol and vanilla extract? ie make it and eat it straight from the machine without freezing

Comment

I haven't tried it yet, but I found a paleo ice cream recipe in, of all places, an interview with Gwyneth Paltrow in Self magazine. (One of her friends needs to tell her to stop talking out her ass.) Anyway, it was frozen bananas pureed with maple syrup and garnished with almonds toasted with salt and maple syrup. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Banana "Ice Cream" With Sweet-and-Salty Roasted Almonds: Recipes: Self.com

Comment

Working...
                            X