What is Beef Jerky.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Beef Jerky.

Ok, I apologise in advance for my ignorance (I do live in Australia and we don't have it here) but what is Beef Jerky. We have recently begun Primal Life style and have the books, want the T shirt, recently purchased and love the five fingers ( even if we do get some strange looks/comments ). We haven't received the cookbook in the mail and I am having massive cookie withdrawals , any quick recipe pointers would be greatly appreciated .

One complaint though Mark S. - why no Pay Pal in your store ? and/or do you have an Aussie outlet if not let's create one

King Regards
    Darky

dried pieces of lean red meat. Beef, elk, bison ETC.

Comment

Commercial beef jerky? Let's see, sugar, corn syrup...

Oh, you mean homemade beef jerky? XD Meat and spices I think.
      Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
        dried pieces of lean red meat. Beef, elk, bison ETC.
        kangaroo ?
        (dehydrated)

Comment

Biltong

Comment

It's thin strips of dehydrated marinated meat. Basically meat chewing gum.
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Darky - not sure which city/state you're in - but I have found a couple of places do a nice Beef Jerky in Brisbane that don't have any of the horrid Corn and other crap added to it.

You will see it in coles - but it is really dodgy, and has tones of non-primal stuff added. Our local Westfield shopping centre had a Beef Jerky stand but it's gone now so I couldn't check his ingredient lists.
              Starting Weight (11 August 2012) - 117.8 kgs (259lbs)
              Current Weight - 94.4kgs (207lbs) (as at 14/01/2013) -23.4kgs (51lbs) lost to date.
              Goal Weight - 90kgs (198lbs)

"Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere" - Van Wilder

Comment

Originally posted by neilc11 View Post
                kangaroo ?
                (dehydrated)
                not to be ignorant but,
                can you eat kangaroo ?
                I eat venison, jerky, etc,
                seriously can / do you eat them there ?
                I'm guessing yes, (tastes like, ,,,,pork)

alright then, I looked that up too ( see below)
                yes you can,
                Last edited by neilc11; 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
                  Biltong
                  afraid to ask,
                  Biltong ??

nevermind, looked it up,,,
                  Last edited by neilc11; 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

You could have looked it up on google, you know. Just like I would have looked up marmite. Egads, seriously, you eat that?

Anyway, you can make beef jerky in a dehydrator. It's simple and tasty.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I do love being an Australian - I mean we eat our national Coat of Arms - Emu and Kangaroo! My local butcher also stocks a range of Crocodile meat. If it was once alive chances are we will eat it.

Kangaroo Meat is quite lean, not much fat - and they are in plague quantities out here. Apparently Russia used to be a massive consumer of our Kangaroo Meat but has since stopped. Its pretty darn expensive here though.
                      Starting Weight (11 August 2012) - 117.8 kgs (259lbs)
                      Current Weight - 94.4kgs (207lbs) (as at 14/01/2013) -23.4kgs (51lbs) lost to date.
                      Goal Weight - 90kgs (198lbs)

"Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere" - Van Wilder

Comment

Working...
                      X