Eating insects...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating insects...

I'm interviewing someone who eats insects on a regular basis but am running out of ideas for questions. So, what questions can YOU think of? I won't say what I have already asked as it's top secret for the moment.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

How do you prepare your insects as food? What kind of recipes do you use? Do you also eat earthworms? If you do, how do you prepare them? (I read an newspaper article once about drying earthworms and grinding them into 'worm flour' that is high in protein and could be added to all kinds of things -- the article even printed a recipe for cookies with worm flour in it!)
    Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

Where do you get your insects?
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Are there any insects you downright refuse to eat?
        Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
        https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
        MFP Food Diary:
        http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
        (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Originally posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
          Are there any insects you downright refuse to eat?
          and why
          65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Tell us about what you do when friends come over to eat! If that is not an issue, any speculation why???

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
              Tell us about what you do when friends come over to eat! If that is not an issue, any speculation why???
              Are there insects that are poisonous to eat? How do you identify them (recommended field guides?)after "gathered" how long do they keep? Can they be frozen? Pickled?

Comment

Love these questions, just to make you think. I have never tried an insect, not on purpose anyways. I have never been around any that have been "prepared" for consumption and wonder how I would react to such. I am guessing I would apprehensively try it. And I am not sure why apprehensive. I mean someone had to be the first person to decide to eat whatever comes out of the back end of a chicken, or the insides of an animal, so I am not sure why I feel freaky about insects. But I think I would try it if they were cooked somehow. I don't think I would just go catch a grasshopper and bite it's head off. <shrug>

I am sure though, if that is all that I had to eat, it would be different.

Comment

If you eat a raw grasshopper you could end up with a tapeworm. A lot of cultures eat insects Countries That Eat Bugs | U.S. News Travel and you can find cookbooks with recipes Amazon.com: insects - Cookbooks, Food & Wine: Books.
                  Ask him what recipe books he uses

If you want to try I guess you could by mealworms at Petco Mealworms - Live Mealworms Available Online from petco.com

or Wal-Mart
                  dried mealworms - Walmart.com
                  Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

How about insect eggs? I have read of South American cultures collecting them(water insect eggs) with a seive.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott F View Post
                      If you eat a raw grasshopper you could end up with a tapeworm.
                      Good to know

Comment

Originally posted by Scott F View Post
                        If you eat a raw grasshopper you could end up with a tapeworm.]
                        Voice of experience?

Comment

CAFO or grass fed?
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
                            I'm interviewing someone who eats insects on a regular basis but am running out of ideas for questions. So, what questions can YOU think of? I won't say what I have already asked as it's top secret for the moment.
                            Hey Todd, you might want to pm Diana Renata on this question. She doesn't post that often these days but I know she is an expert on growing meal worms and including them in her diet. She might have some good pointers for you.

Comment

grasshoppers and crickets: big legs off or on?
                              that's about it...

Comment

Working...
                              X