No announcement yet.

Eating insects...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sort of unrelated, but i've eaten bugs before. It's part of the culture in my home country. Huhu grubs are delicious...
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
      Voice of experience?
      Lol. No, I had a lot of training in primative survival skills stuff. That info about grasshoppers is commonly taught
      Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Great questions all! The interview was getting dull but now it's about to get very very interesting. I suspect that once the interview is published, Mark will link to it. I definitely will let you all know in this thread.

For starters I asked... "Are there any insects you downright refuse to eat? Why or why not?"

That was the 24th message in the email exchange.

Keep the questions coming!
        Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

There must me an economy of scale on insect consumption. You have to source and eat lots of tiny little things that are perhaps high in protein but also high in possible contamination, biologically useless chitin (or is it biologically valuable? I don't know), and possibly high in preparation time and effort, depending on if you eat them raw or roasted or even as ingredients in full recipes.

What is the specific benefit of eating tons of little things with these restraints over, say, a grassfed steak? Is it economical? I can't imagine it'd be both a time saver and a money saver. Is it to consume biodiversity? Is it the novelty? Avoiding cruelty to "higher order" animals?

I get that it seems like a wonderful idea on a larger scale - a community that maintains an insect farm or whatever. But the economy of scale seems tough on an individual basis - so I'd just like to hear about the efficiency justification.
          carl's cave

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
            I'm interviewing someone who eats insects on a regular basis but am running out of ideas for questions. So, what questions can YOU think of? I won't say what I have already asked as it's top secret for the moment.
            Have you found any good recipes for yellow mealworms? I tried about 10 different things with them and they all tasted like crap.

Comment

Am I bugging you with too many questions?
              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Find out the dietary effects that various insects have on the digestive system.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                  Am I bugging you with too many questions?
                  Yes! Buzz off
                  Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

I would also ask if they have ever had any bad reactions to eating a particular insect. I know that I have some reactions every time I eat earthworms.

Comment

Working...
                    X