No announcement yet.

Frustrated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found it very hard to stay lower than 1200 calories (for eg.) if I used the ratios advised for primal. But I also like eating lower carb because it keeps me from being hungry. So I went back to what makes me feel full and still keeps the calories low. The fats I get naturally from lean meat, salmon, eggs, and the occasional "cheese day," are plenty for me. And now, if I need to use butter or oil for something, I take out the teaspoon instead of the tablespoon. All those hundred calorie tablespoons of fat are just too much if you're trying to lose weight and you're a small person.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Catrin View Post
      The high protein diet has worked well for me over the last 3 years, the change came when I replaced protein with fat for my main source of calories. I am going back to what works - still no grains or dairy though. BTW, I know women older than I who are ripped - and they started older than I am. My thryoid levels are fine, they get checked pretty regularly - and they are getting checked again next month (good question).
      Keep the protein up. It's not just to "gain mass" or put on muscle and whoever was stating that was incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by vb66 View Post
        Losing 3lbs of fat without losing any LBM in a post-menopausal woman with no thyroid isn't too shabby.
        +1.....don't expect to actually GAIN lean mass while losing fat. It doesn't work that way particularly. If you can lose predominately fat while retaining lean mass (which high protein will enable you to do), that is the best you are looking for. Once you are at a BF% your satisfied with you can consider increasing your calories carefully if you wish to attempt to increase lean mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          +1.....don't expect to actually GAIN lean mass while losing fat. It doesn't work that way particularly. If you can lose predominately fat while retaining lean mass (which high protein will enable you to do), that is the best you are looking for. Once you are at a BF% your satisfied with you can consider increasing your calories carefully if you wish to attempt to increase lean mass.
          The reason why I expected this is that is what has happened over the last year. I've had 3 other bod-pods this year related to different programs I've been in at my gym and the last two in a row have seen a significant decrease in body fat and at least an increase of 1 pound of lean muscle mass. Now, that doesn't mean it will always be that way - of course - but it was a little frustrating with all of the work I've been doing. As my trainer reminds me however, it is far easier to lose fat than it is to build muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by Catrin View Post
            The high protein diet has worked well for me over the last 3 years, the change came when I replaced protein with fat for my main source of calories. I am going back to what works - still no grains or dairy though.
            Did the high protein diet work for you?
            [x] Yes [] No

Was it necessary to make adjustments to your diet?
            [] Yes [x] No

Did you waste your time searching for "the holy grail of diets"?
            [x] Yes [] No

Did you learn anything from this experience?
            [] Yes [] No
            Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

Comment

I certainly learned from the experience - especially as it WAS a high protein, low fat CW diet with way too many carbs before I tried a ketogenic approach. I learned that I feel great without grains, added sugar, and very little dairy in my diet. Considering that fat has more calories than protein, and I really don't NEED 200+ grams of protein, I will still get more fat than protein but the fat macro won't be so high. My carbs will increase a little, probably, but not much and only from vegetable sources.

So, in the end, I have learned a lot about my body and what it likes. In the end it is about eating right, and I don't need to be in ketosis to do that. I am no longer at war with my food, and it seems freeing to kick calorie counting out the window
              Last edited by Catrin; 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X