Eat Fat, Lose Fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat Fat, Lose Fat

Has anyone read Eat Fat, Lose Fat? Does it follow along Primal lines? Thinking of buying it but I want to know a little more about it.

Haven't heard of Eat Fat-Lose Fat, but here's a free copy of Eat Fat - Grow Slim, a 1958 jewel.

Eat Fat And Grow Slim by Richard Mackarness (1958)

Comment

I've got a copy of it from the library at the moment. They do recommend sprouted grain bread if gluten is not a problem. There are a lot of coconut recipes as well as fermented foods. I would sum it up as pretty close to primal but not exact.
      In the past year I have discovered that I am gluten, grain, dairy and legume intolerant.

I am trying to make sense of it all through my blog: http://www.goingagainstthegrain.co.uk

Comment

TL;DR - consumed sugar and carbs get stored as fat; consumed fat gets burned as energy.

Oversimplification?
        carl's cave

Comment

Originally posted by Puddleglumish View Post
          I've got a copy of it from the library at the moment. They do recommend sprouted grain bread if gluten is not a problem. There are a lot of coconut recipes as well as fermented foods. I would sum it up as pretty close to primal but not exact.
          Thanks for the review. I'll probably give it a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
            Haven't heard of Eat Fat-Lose Fat, but here's a free copy of Eat Fat - Grow Slim, a 1958 jewel.

Thanks.

Comment

I just read "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" recently. Very interesting book. Of course Sally Fallon, being the WAPF one, goes on about sprouted grains, etc. I didn't need that part but their emphasis on coconut products was very intriguing. They are not claiming coconut is some magical substance, just that it can be very useful in blunting the sharp edge of hunger.

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
                TL;DR - consumed sugar and carbs get stored as fat; consumed fat gets burned as energy.
                No.
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I read it earlier in the year and love it. Coconut oil has been critical in turning my mid life thyroid-related energy issues around. I also feel Fallon is right about olive oil; ie, that it tends to be stored as fat. Great book overall.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post

I forgot about that little gem. Thanks for the reminder.
                    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Coconut oil has made a big difference for me too. Any slump I feel can be instantly cured with a spoon of coconut oil. My hubby was grossed out seeing me munch on it the day before yesterday LOL. Weight loss has continued, despite me getting close to being too thin for my age now. I am eating a lot of fat. Olive oil stored as fat?? interesting... I should check it out at Chapters.
                      Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                      Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                      Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post

Oversimplification?
                        Not at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post
                          Coconut oil has made a big difference for me too. Any slump I feel can be instantly cured with a spoon of coconut oil. My hubby was grossed out seeing me munch on it the day before yesterday LOL.
                          I havent done that yet, though I do put it in my coffee on the days that I think I will be fasting. But I do use it almost exclusively now for other stuff.

I read somewhere.... and I dont even know how to word it. Something about counting the calories, or maybe the grams of fat... that with Coconut oil you really only need to count about half of it? I can't remember now exactly what it was, or why, but it was a good thing, I do remember that
                          65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Fat doesn't get stored but burned as energy? Nonsense. If you overeat, anything extra will be stored as fat.

And why should olive oil be any different from any other oil in terms of fat storage?

I am very skeptical about all these claims for coconut oil because all it did for me was raise my LDL 50 points in 4 months. Stopped it, and my LDL went down those same 50 points. My cardiologist tells me that it doesn't matter whether it was Pattern A or not, elevated LDL is always a cause for concern.

I've watched the enthusiasm for CO take off across the Internet, but I remain healthy without using it.

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
                              Fat doesn't get stored but burned as energy? Nonsense. If you overeat, anything extra will be stored as fat.

And why should olive oil be any different from any other oil in terms of fat storage?

I am very skeptical about all these claims for coconut oil because all it did for me was raise my LDL 50 points in 4 months. Stopped it, and my LDL went down those same 50 points. My cardiologist tells me that it doesn't matter whether it was Pattern A or not, elevated LDL is always a cause for concern.

I've watched the enthusiasm for CO tgake off across the Internet, but I remain healthy without using it.
                              emmie, did you reduce your total fat consumption or did you just replace coconut oil with other fats? What % of your calories come from fat and what type of fats do you eat? I am asking because I am curious if coconut oil has a unique propensity to increase LDL-C. Unsweetened shredded coconut has become my favorite staple and I wonder what it is doing to my cholesterol. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X