Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

drinking water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • drinking water

    i really dislike drinking water. it gives me heartburn or something, plus i just don't normally feel thirsty.

    i have heard lots of things on drinking water.. some say never drink it with a meal, it will dilute your digestive enzymes. some say wait 20 minutes after a meal.. some say drink during a meal. some say wash down a meal with water..

    does anyone have some solid information on this?

    maybe i get heartburn because i AM diluting my enzymes, and my stomach is pumping more acid in to compensate?

  • #2
    Originally posted by cookie View Post
    i really dislike drinking water. it gives me heartburn or something, plus i just don't normally feel thirsty.

    i have heard lots of things on drinking water.. some say never drink it with a meal, it will dilute your digestive enzymes. some say wait 20 minutes after a meal.. some say drink during a meal. some say wash down a meal with water..

    does anyone have some solid information on this?

    maybe i get heartburn because i AM diluting my enzymes, and my stomach is pumping more acid in to compensate?
    Just dont drink until you are thirsty. Also get tested for h.pylori, it can be why you are getting heartburn.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've never heard of water giving someone heartburn. You might wanna get that checked.

      Have you tried adding stuff to your water, like electrolyte tablets (to make it something you'd want to drink)? I really like Nuun.
      --Trish (Bork)
      TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
      http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
      FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Drink when you are thirsty. People have been conned by the sports drink and bottled water industry to drink way more water than is needed. There are some days I will drink only about 5 ounces of water and some days where I won't drink any (not counting my coffee, of course.) This past weekend I made 4 liters of water last for over 24 hours of backpacking including cooking my meals, making coffee, washing my hands and hiking all day in 65-75 degree temperatures. I actually forced myself to drink more than I really wanted, too. It's not like I was dehydrated or trying to make it last.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

        Comment


        • #5
          You live in Ohio. In a big city? Do not drink the tap water unless you really want anti-depressant drugs in your system. It may be that you are just drinking the wrong water.

          I like to pound water (if I'm thirsty) before I eat, while I'm cooking. that way it's out of my stomach by the time I eat.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

          Comment


          • #6
            I get heartburn if I drink more than a little tap water. So did my mom, so it might be something used to process public water to which we're sensitive. Two things helped us. One is a little lemon juice in the water. The other which I just found last year is to use one of those filter jugs like Britta. Now I keep a glass of water near me all the time.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

            B*tch-lite

            Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
              I get heartburn if I drink more than a little tap water. So did my mom, so it might be something used to process public water to which we're sensitive. Two things helped us. One is a little lemon juice in the water. The other which I just found last year is to use one of those filter jugs like Britta. Now I keep a glass of water near me all the time.
              That's a good reason (junk in the water). We have a water filter and osmossifier (sp?) in our house, so I don't think we really have as much nasty in our tap water as other folks might.
              --Trish (Bork)
              TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
              http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
              FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

              Comment


              • #8
                we also have a filter.

                i'm not sick, it isn't h.pylori. it's just that i have always hated water. i can remember as a kid all of my friends chugging it, and i was never thirsty. my family never enforced that we HAD to, though we were always healthy eaters. i think my parents just followed their instinct and assumed i would too, if i was thirsty, i would drink....

                i just want to know if drinking during meals is known to dilute enzymes, or if it is bullshit.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cookie View Post
                  i just want to know if drinking during meals is known to dilute enzymes, or if it is bullshit.
                  I've never heard of it, but then again I learn something new here everyday
                  --Trish (Bork)
                  TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                  http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                  FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you are talking about plain water, you aren't alone.

                    Water is an ingredient. Yeah, you can drink it. You can also eat raw eggs. I don't care if it comes from a tap, a bottle, and RO filter, or an artesean spring.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Not it isn't, its the one single thing we need on a daily basis to remain alive and fully functional.

                      It's ridiculous to say you don't like water. You've been conned by the marketers into believing that what comes out of the tap is somehow not drinkable. If you are in the First World, that's nonsense.
                      ----------
                      Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's ridiculous? No. It's true. I don't like straight water. I haven't been conned, I don't prefer one type of straight water over another, I don't have any reluctance to use tap water for cooking or preparing drinks. I just don't like the taste of plain water. I've sampled it from all over North America, everywhere from municipal water supplies in Florida to straight out of streams in Alaska, and it is not something I want to drink unless I have absolutely no other choice.

                        And, since I am in the First World, I do have a choice.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bostonwolf View Post
                          Not it isn't, its the one single thing we need on a daily basis to remain alive and fully functional.

                          It's ridiculous to say you don't like water. You've been conned by the marketers into believing that what comes out of the tap is somehow not drinkable. If you are in the First World, that's nonsense.
                          That still doesn't mean that you have to drink a lot or even any water to be healthy. All food has some water content, fruit and veg is mostly water. Drinking milk, coffee, fruit juice will all get you plenty of water. Hell you could drink beer as your water source.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You don't have to drink water, you can get hydrated through your food if you eat foods with high water content.

                            Drink Less Water? | Mark's Daily Apple
                            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

                            "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have read that drinking too much water during a meal can dilute stomach acid, maybe that is what you are experiencing?? In that case you might have too little stomach acid production anyway.

                              I drink at least a gallon of water a day. Never had that problem. I actually feel kind of crappy if I don't drink a ton of water.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X