No announcement yet.

Curing candida on a paleo diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like thats exactly what hes saying. Im sure you know how impossible it is to eat zero carbs.

Comment

I suffered from Candidiasis for a couple years after a round of anti-biotics and crappy diet. So you're telling me that all of the carbs I ate to support the Candida overgrowth were GOOD for me? So the lethargy, absolutely horrific skin rashes and desire to give up and just sleep all day was the goal all along?

You're telling me that when I started eating paleo/primal/low carb, and all of this shit went away, I was doing myself a disservice? I should go back to high carb and let the horrible quality of life come back and rule me?
      A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

Comment

"Not enough" is still enough to starve. You don't have to eat nothing to starve yourself. Same thing.

0 carb is possible with the intro GAPS diet, actually. It's entirely bone broths and fat. You're only supposed to do that for a few days, or until the diarrhea stops, though.
        Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
          ^So what are you suggesting? Feed it and live with it? You can't kill off candida entirely, it's SUPPOSED to be in your gut, but we're talking about an overgrowth. You CAN starve off an overgrowth and normalize your gut bacteria levels, you just don't eat what it wants (starches and sugars). The methods and length of treatment will vary from person to person and the severity of the overgrowth.
          You speak the truth, cute sage lady.
          A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
            ^So what are you suggesting? Feed it and live with it? You can't kill off candida entirely, it's SUPPOSED to be in your gut, but we're talking about an overgrowth. You CAN starve off an overgrowth and normalize your gut bacteria levels, you just don't eat what it wants (starches and sugars). The methods and length of treatment will vary from person to person and the severity of the overgrowth.

You're not understanding. With proper diet(this includes sugar) candida secretes ethanol which keeps it from bothering you. Without sugar, and carbs, cortisol is constantly being used. Candida feeds off cortisol, therefore candida becomes bothersome and invasive.

Candida overgrowth is a sign of endocrine failure. Low carb makes this worse. Correcting thyroid and stress hormones will make candida overgrowth disappear. Impossible to do eating low carb.
            Make America Great Again

Comment

Cortisol, another name for hydrocortisone, is a steroid hormone created in the adrenal cortex. It is not something anything can "feed" off of. Biochem 101. Please.

Also, low carb does not cause any harm to the thyroid. It can make the symptoms of an already existing thyroid issue such as Hashimoto's worse if not properly treated. This myth has been debunked so many times around here, it is getting tiring.

I don't doubt that candida overgrowth can occur when your endocrine system is out of whack, but low carb diets are not the cause and eating gummi bears and Coke is not the cure.

Comment

I'm interested as to why you believe that anyone would recommend eating gummi bears and drinking Coke on a Primal forum.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                  I'm interested as to why you believe that anyone would recommend eating gummi bears and drinking Coke on a Primal forum.
                  Dermapix has bragged about how that is exactly what she eats "and proud of it, so there" on other threads. So, nutritional advice coming from the person with that diet might need to be taken with a bit of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Dermapix has bragged about how that is exactly what she eats "and proud of it, so there" on other threads. So, nutritional advice coming from the person with that diet might need to be taken with a bit of salt.
                    Oh dear! I haven't seen anyone brag about suchlike. Care to post a linky?
                    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Paleobird, where exactly has low carb causing thyroid issues been "debunked"? I would like to see this.

Comment

Oh dear! I haven't seen anyone brag about suchlike. Care to post a linky?
                        Ask her yourself. It has been right out there. I'm not going to dig back through threads to find it.

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                        Paleobird, where exactly has low carb causing thyroid issues been "debunked"? I would like to see this.
                        Again, do a search on low carb+ thyroid. There are many threads.

Comment

Hmm... methinks paleobird was posting strawmen out of context to bolster her low-carb agenda.

Comment

Hmm... methinks paleobird was posting strawmen out of context to bolster her low-carb agenda.
                            Hmm....methinks paleo-bunny is being unnecessarily snotty. And the fact that I eat low carb does not mean I have a low carb agenda. Everyone else can eat anyway they like. I don't try to influence that. I do, however refute nonsense and scare tactics when I see it.
                            Last edited by Paleobird; 12-01-2012, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              Hmm....methinks paleo-bunny is being unnecessarily snotty. And the fact that I eat low carb does not mean I have a low carb agenda. Everyone else can eat anyway they like. I don't try to influence that. I do, however refute nonsense and scare tactics when I see it.
                              You're clearly way too lazy to back up your assertations.

Or incapable ... because a strawman is a strawman.
                              Last edited by paleo-bunny; 12-01-2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Show me a study or something that could even come close to being considered proof. Reading threads of low carbers saying they have no thyroid problems is hardly proof. For every person doing well on low carb, there are 10 who hace ruined their health.

Comment

Working...
                                X