Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silly question--can you eat too much red meat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly question--can you eat too much red meat?

Am I going to come down with gout, kidney problems, or something crazy from binging on red meat? Is it possible to eat too much of it in one day? I'm craving it terribly. I'm probably anemic, I ran out of my expensive heme iron supplement and have been making do with a less absorbable type.

I had a steak and a banana for breakfast, and I just couldn't resist searing up another for lunch. I have a freezer burned grass-fed tenderloin that I got for cheap and it's about to go off, so I've been trying to cook it up as fast as I can, glad I'm craving meat! Dinner is a roast that is currently simmering in the crock pot. MEAT!!!

Yes there are negatives associated with excess meat consumption. That said, if you are borderline anemic then you probably have nothing to worry about, eat some meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
      Yes there are negatives associated with excess meat consumption. That said, if you are borderline anemic then you probably have nothing to worry about, eat some meat.
      At least one study showed negative consequences when excess red meat was consumed with dairy saturated fat. The link was posted here on MDA. There is a short video and a podcast interview. It was very interesting. Just an hypothesis but Krauss thinks hepatic iron may be causing the problem

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012/...at-it-depends/
      Last edited by Artbuc; 11-28-2012, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I think this is a periodic craving and you will be fine. The Inuits seem to be healthy, given their diet.
        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

You can eat too much red meat. When you get hungry and the thought of another plate of red meat is just too much to bear, you've probably had enough. Until then, carry on.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Have you tried liver? Dirt cheap and very good for your anemia issues.

Comment

There is such thing as getting too much of a good thing. It's best to always vary your diet but if you can afford to eat red meat all the time given that they are grass fed/hormone free then go for it. I personally can't.

Comment

I hope not! Because 90% of the meat in my freezer is grassfed beef, deer and elk.

Red meat doesn't cause gout. Excess alcohol and fructose (mainly high fructose corn syrup) with meat do. For over a year before going primal, I had this 'gouty' toe infection thing going on, that drs refused to diagnose as gout because a) I dont fit the profile, and b) it alternated between every toe except the big one. It ranged from unmanageable itching to being unable to bear weight from the swelling and pain. Since ditching grains, most processed sugars and HFCS, I have had zero flare ups, and I eat more red meat than ever. So have a steak and a glass of wine, and ditch the burger (on a Wonder bun with ketchup) and beer.
                Sandra
                *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                  At least one study showed negative consequences when excess red meat was consumed with dairy saturated fat. The link was posted here on MDA. There is a short video and a podcast interview. It was very interesting. Just an hypothesis but Krauss thinks hepatic iron may be causing the problem

Ron Krauss – Saturated Fat? Red Meat? It Depends . . . | Me and My Diabetes
                  Very interesting. I have the opposite problem though--I'm chronically borderline anemic/low ferritin (I absorb it poorly due to a bariatric surgery) even though I do eat a decent amount of red meat on a normal basis. I haven't had bloodwork recently, however the symptoms that I've had during prior bouts of anemia are returning--easy bruising, fatigue, and photopsia when I raise my arms. Considering that I have not taken the heme iron supplement that I usually take in about a month (I'm taking carbonyl iron, which is ok, but not nearly as good) I'm pretty sure I'm low.

It's just super odd for me to be ravenously craving red meat, and I wanted to make sure there weren't any short-term problems from eating so much. If I hurry up and finish this tenderloin before it goes bad, I'll be eating red meat at every meal for a few more days. I don't want to end up like someone who ate steaks and burgers every day on vacation and came down with gout or something as a result of their meaty gluttony, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Have you tried liver? Dirt cheap and very good for your anemia issues.
                    I do love chicken liver! The rest of the family thinks I'm crazy though, so I don't buy it all that often. I'll be going to the farm to get some pastured chickens next week though, I'll definitely have to pick up some livers too if he has them. I wish I liked beef liver because it's so cheap, but I bought a grassfed one and did all the tricks to supposedly make it milder...it was horrible. I like things with pork liver in them, but have never had it by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
                      I hope not! Because 90% of the meat in my freezer is grassfed beef, deer and elk.

Red meat doesn't cause gout. Excess alcohol and fructose (mainly high fructose corn syrup) with meat do. For over a year before going primal, I had this 'gouty' toe infection thing going on, that drs refused to diagnose as gout because a) I dont fit the profile, and b) it alternated between every toe except the big one. It ranged from unmanageable itching to being unable to bear weight from the swelling and pain. Since ditching grains, most processed sugars and HFCS, I have had zero flare ups, and I eat more red meat than ever. So have a steak and a glass of wine, and ditch the burger (on a Wonder bun with ketchup) and beer.
                      Good to know! I already avoided HFCS like the plague even before going Primal. Thanks for the info.

Comment

For the liver haters in your life, you can always make pate ; https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65193.html

Also see if you can find calf or lamb liver. Younger critters have a milder flavor.

Comment

That sounds wonderful! Thanks for the recipe. A couple of farms at the local market have lamb, so I'll have to ask about the liver.

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          For the liver haters in your life, you can always make pate ; https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65193.html

Also see if you can find calf or lamb liver. Younger critters have a milder flavor.

Comment

Mm, yes, quick-fried lamb's liver is a beautiful thing.

About the meat... when I first started eating meat again after 20 years' vegetarianism, red meat was glorious - could not get enough of it. Nowadays, I find what I'm hungry for varies with the time of year, my activity level and what I ate the day before. I'm happy just to go along with appetite - I reckon my body knows what it's doing. I expect OP's does, too.

Comment

When I first started eating meat again, I ate a lot, and was never satisfied. I had very strong cravings for steak, lamb chops, etc. This went on for months. I was concerned about eating too much. Especially because I also only wanted to eat the fatty parts.

Now that I've had my fill, I don't seem to want red meat as much. Maybe once or twice a week is enough, and sometimes I feel it's too heavy. The same goes with liver. I love liver, but there are times when I simply don't want it.

Comment

Working...
                              X