No announcement yet.

Digestion of enzymes and cooking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wrote the thought that acid may be a contributing factor off because similar things don't happen with citrus fruits.

Comment

I used to be a big believer in raw foods but when you think about it, enzymes = proteins and the stomach is where we start to denature proteins. So, I don't know.

What of the people who claim they feel better taking enzymes with their meals? Placebo effect?

And that must mean that eating raw vs. eating cooked holds no difference in terms of enzymes your body requires to digest the food, because even amongst some paleo/primal advocates, they still urge to eat as much raw as possible because of the enzymes in raw foods.

Huh.

Comment

Originally posted by FabMandy View Post
        And that must mean that eating raw vs. eating cooked holds no difference in terms of enzymes your body requires to digest the food, because even amongst some paleo/primal advocates, they still urge to eat as much raw as possible because of the enzymes in raw foods.
        I believe cooking is optional for meat, but that for plant matter, some form of preparation if not actual cooking (fermenting, pickling, etc) is always necessary to render it less toxic.

Comment

@FabMandy

Yes, I'd probably pin it mostly on the placebo effect. The enzymes are going to do a (really) small amount of digestion before they denature, but it's not going to be significant.

Paleo/primal advocates who advocate raw food because of enzymes are misinformed just like raw vegans. Of course, most food has completely different tastes raw and cooked (I prefer my beef damn near raw) and probiotic food shouldn't be cooked if you want the little guys to make it inside you, but the enzymes are irrelevant.
          Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

Working...
          X