Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nutrition specifically for longevity - what's your take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutrition specifically for longevity - what's your take?

So I'm high-fat, which should limit the need for insulin and help my pancreas last longer so I don't catch the diabeetus too soon. I eat lots of anti-inflammatory spices to prevent systemic damage from inflammation. I drink a half-pot of coffee to protect my nerves from degeneration, and put a cup of coconut milk in it so I have instant ketones and better (higher) cholesterol numbers. I eat two brazil nuts a week to chelate excess heavy metals from my organ meats. I also eat a bag of organic green apples every week when I'm not going keto because of several substances found in them that are supposed to increase lifespans of many creatures (yeah, those usually end with a product hock, but there really were good results with whole green apples fed to animals!). Then I eat basic paleo designed my way to hit all micronutrient standards so I don't develop any deficiencies. What do YOU do as an ace in the hole for long life, aside from avoiding toxins and allergens (which we're all already doing anyway)? Any special food/substance you're rolling the dice on?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Not to be rude or anything but with that description it sounds you are an "orthorexic" and are over thinking things too much.

Comment

Good topic. I eat about 4oz of oysters every day, a sheet of dried seaweed every week, liver and bone broth every week. Otherwise, diet is low carb PB.

Other things I do for my health: Oil Pulling, 20 min/day w/sesame or sunflower oil. Deep breathing exercises (10 deep breaths and hold as long as possible). Cold Thermogenesis (keep office at 65 deg, walk/sprint outdoors in light clothing in winter). Bedroom pitch black. Seasonal eating (keto Nov-Feb).

Comment

I believe genes are a huge part of longevity. I also believe that you can lengthen or shorten your life by your habits. It isn't unusual for many of the people in my family (over the entire weight spectrum of too skinny to as wide as they were tall) to live into their 80s and there are a few instances of 90s, which isn't a huge increase over the average life expectancy in the US, but every year counts. Both of my parents died in their 70s. Both led very disappointing tumultuous lives with my father being a heavy smoker and my mother being a heavy eater and at the end of her life a heavy eater of many processed foods.

I've pursued a simpler life. I don't care if I have the nicest car on the block, and I sure as shit wouldn't go into debt to have it. My profession based on my degree was stressful and too full of politics, so I worked my way down the corporate ladder to a place that lets me leave my job at my job. My home is quiet. Anyone who brings agitation into my home is asked to leave. So, I think that is the most important thing I've done. Get rid of external stressors to the best of my ability.

So, my ace in the hole is my genes. I figure if I don't screw with my body too much, I have the building blocks upon which to live a pretty long life. Of course a big part of that is diet. So, I try to eat as wholesomely as possible. But that's it. I'm not a slave to macros, though my favorite foods are not carb laden, and I average (when I took time to track) <100 grams per day of carbs easily. I drink alcohol. I even sneak a cigarette when I'm with friends who smoke.

But after all that, I live with the philosophy that when man plans, god laughs. IOW, you can be the healthiest, fittest, buffest mf on the planet, and some drunk in a car can jump the curb and squash you like a bug. So, I don't worry about it too much.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
          Good topic. I eat about 4oz of oysters every day, a sheet of dried seaweed every week, liver and bone broth every week. Otherwise, diet is low carb PB.
          I do something similar I guess. I have salmon most daily, with my eggs. I have at least 1/4lb of liver per week. This week I actually got DH to eat some, but not holding my breath that he will do it again anytime soon. And I am trying to have bone broth most daily, put certainly weekly.

I like the idea of such a list. Does green tea do anything? I have been trying to drink a few cups of that per day.
          65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

It's all just fuzzy science, correlation and extrapolation. I would think green tea could help you live longer, yes, but it's just a guess. I'd suspect the theobromine/caffeine combo would fight stress, and the way it wipes the redness from my skin indicates it's very anti-inflammatory. But ten years from now they'll probably start screaming about anti-inflammatory food causing some other problem, anyway.

Oh, yeah! I also put a handful of cocoa nibs in with my coffee beans before grinding them for a choc/coffee hybrid.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

How about intermittent fasting? We watched a very interesting program exploring the benefits of intermitent fasting to help you live longer based on the notion that whilst fasting, your IGF1 (insulin-like growth factor) hormone turns on genes that start to repair your body. BBC News - The power of intermittent fasting

Comment

I eat salmon with bones and skin almost daily. I eat oysters and liver periodically. I hike and backpack often. Lift weights, sprint a little, get some real sunshine almost daily.

I'm already pretty old, considering what life spans once were.

I do fuck up my chances pretty badly by riding a motorcycle daily.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Once I get my gut issues under control, I'm back to focusing on mental health (definitely a correlation there). THEN I'll worry about longevity. I mostly just want to feel sane for as long as possible, even if that doesn't end up being as long as other people. I'd rather die younger, happier, than die sad and old.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

If it works for you and you enjoy eating everything, great. Personally, I don't care about living longer, just about looking good now and enjoying my food without over thinking it.
                    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      I do fuck up my chances pretty badly by riding a motorcycle daily.
                      Oh geesh, thanks for the reminder. And then add my horse into the mix....

Actually, the harley is why I started to lose weight in the first place. The final push I guess. Never mind that my BP was on the rise, I was close to diabetic, straight sugar in my veins, and all that jazz. The truth is, I didnt want to be the old fat chick on the back of the harley. I could handle one or the other, but not both :P
                      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I drink lots of different kinds of tea in order to maximize the benefits from the different concentration of phytochemicals and anti-oxidants within them. For example, black tea was shown as very cardio protective in multiple studies, green and white teas have the most potent anti-cancer effects, oolong tea raises metabolic rate the most, and pu-erh tea aids in digestion and has been shown to have cholesterol lowering effects on par with statins.

I also drink lots of yerba mate for its reported benefits in aidng with appetite suppression (useful for fasting) and its ability to increase utilization of fat as an energy source.

I engage in a one-meal-a-day plan to help me control my overall caloric intake and this has worked amazingly. I dabble in longer fasts for the effects of autophagy.

I eat a very low carb diet (at least relative to a lot of people), designed also to help keep me from binging and therefore gaining weight. I eat a wide range of low-carb veggies for their wonderful nutritional benefits, consume lots of saturated and monounsaturated fats for sustained energy release...

Lastly, I get lots of probiotics through my consumption of fermented veggies and I can tell you that my gut loves me for this.

Just my bucket list of things that may help me to live longer (not including the exercise which is not specifically nutrition related).
                        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

For MY mental health: daily selenium, D3 and multivitamin. I also aim for 100-150g carbs/ day, as this is what n=1 experimentation has shown me to need to stay out of the mental danger zone. I also stay away from processed sugar, for the same reason.
                          In what we eat, it's mostly chicken and beef, but I get seafood at least once a week and bone broth whenever we use it in a recipe (~2-3 times a week). Plenty of spices and herbs (including turmeric, peppers, and cardamom.) Most of what we eat is pretty colorful, excluding blue and purple. Plenty of vegetation; no meal is complete without at least two veggies in it somewhere. I drink exclusively water and plain tea (green, white, oolong, and black, with a little rooibos occasionally), so those are there to aid me.
                          None of this (besides the mental health pills) is purely for longevity. It's just what I tend to eat and drink.
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            Once I get my gut issues under control, I'm back to focusing on mental health (definitely a correlation there). THEN I'll worry about longevity. I mostly just want to feel sane for as long as possible, even if that doesn't end up being as long as other people. I'd rather die younger, happier, than die sad and old.
                            You are addressing your longevity by focusing on mental health. Stress ages you faster than probably most any food.
                            sigpic
                            Age 48
                            Start date: 7-5-12
                            5'3"
                            121lbs
                            GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                            Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

i'm not sure about longevity, but for my overall well being i fast almost daily, eat a can of sardines most days (any recommendations for canned oysters), am no stranger to eggs, supplement with D, magnesium, k2, and a food based multi for men. i also walk/bike a lot, sprint a little, and lift myself a few times per week, sleep 6-7+ solid hours a night, learn or try at least one new thing every week...

...i may stray from time to time, but i think mostly i live pretty close to the ten primal laws.
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Working...
                              X