Venison!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison!!

One deer harvested and hanging and I'm headed out to the barn to skin it! hooray for wild-"pastured" meat in our freezer again!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Oh lucky you! I'm envious, as a city livin' gal now I've lost touch with the hunting. Skinning and deboning a deer was one of my all time favorite activities to do with my Dad when I was younger. I never actually shot the deer, or gutted it - but everything else all the way to the freezer was my job

Comment

Congrats! I hope to get my first of the year back from the processor today.
      If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

I had to hunt and gather at my local farmers market! Made a very tasty stew though.

Comment

Usually when people home-process a deer, they take all the meat off the bone as opposed to sawing the bones with a bone saw. These bones usually get thrown away because they are hard to deal with. If you normally don't use them, try this:

Take all the big, long leg bones to a butcher, ask him to saw them up into 2" pieces. Put the pieces in a hot oven or even gas grill and brown for a while, then freeze. Use these frozen pieces of bone for your bone broth. Suck out the tasty marrow. Better than any grass-fed beef or chicken stock. Amazing how much gelatin is on those deer knuckles.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
            Usually when people home-process a deer, they take all the meat off the bone as opposed to sawing the bones with a bone saw. These bones usually get thrown away because they are hard to deal with. If you normally don't use them, try this:

Take all the big, long leg bones to a butcher, ask him to saw them up into 2" pieces. Put the pieces in a hot oven or even gas grill and brown for a while, then freeze. Use these frozen pieces of bone for your bone broth. Suck out the tasty marrow. Better than any grass-fed beef or chicken stock. Amazing how much gelatin is on those deer knuckles.
            Good hunting practice, too! Use every last scrap...

I don't know any hunters, but usually the butcher has left-overs at the end of the processing season, or last years meat that goes for next to nothing. I got about 30 lbs of venison a few years ago for about 10 bucks!

Comment

went hunting last night with my son but the deer are coming out after dark and mostly feeding on acorns right now. I dont' know if you are into this sort of primitive skills stuff but, since you're up in Pennsylvanian I know someone who teaches primitive skills and is quite good at it. They are in Great Meadows, NJ Welcome to Practical Primitive
              Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

congrats. i've only taken one so far this year, but i can't wait to get more. i have let about 4-5 doe walk because i wasn't 100% thrilled with the shot. i also let one go last week because there was a nice buck following her through the valley. alas, it got dark before he made his way in to shooting range. oh well. enjoy the venison

Comment

Usually when people home-process a deer, they take all the meat off the bone as opposed to sawing the bones with a bone saw. These bones usually get thrown away because they are hard to deal with.
                  i axe mine and give them to the dog. i make broth from the smaller bones like the neck and spine. i dont consider giving anything to the dog a waste so there is always zero waste.

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                    i axe mine and give them to the dog. i make broth from the smaller bones like the neck and spine. i dont consider giving anything to the dog a waste so there is always zero waste.
                    Grill up some of those long leg bones and dig the marrow out when it's all bubbly...you'll never give them to the dog again! Give him the bone after you've gotten all the marrow out. Unless he's a 250 pound malemute, I doubt he can crack the bones and get the marrow, so it might as well go to you. Deer marrow is like the tastiest butter you can imagine.

Comment

No fair I want to shoot and eat a bambi too, I love venison sooooo much.
                      You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
                        No fair I want to shoot and eat a bambi too, I love venison sooooo much.
                        When I lived in the UK, I shot more deer than in US. Go buy a shooting magazine and and look in the back at ads for 'herd culling' or 'stalking' in Scotland. I used to shoot a couple fallow deer every year near Bury St. Edmunds. Once the deer is down, it is weighed and you can pay the gamekeeper for the meat. Either butcher yourself or take to a butcher shop.

Your local constable can help with firearm license at requirements for having a firearm, but I found it all fairly easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                          When I lived in the UK, I shot more deer than in US. Go buy a shooting magazine and and look in the back at ads for 'herd culling' or 'stalking' in Scotland. I used to shoot a couple fallow deer every year near Bury St. Edmunds. Once the deer is down, it is weighed and you can pay the gamekeeper for the meat. Either butcher yourself or take to a butcher shop.

Your local constable can help with firearm license at requirements for having a firearm, but I found it all fairly easy to do.
                          Thank's I'll look into shooting magazines and on the web, can't afford a licence or a gun or the meat, but I could at least look into it, then maybe just sneek off with a cross-bow and big bag.
                          You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
                            Thank's I'll look into shooting magazines and on the web, can't afford a licence or a gun or the meat, but I could at least look into it, then maybe just sneek off with a cross-bow and big bag.
                            Beware of fat, bald monks with big sticks if you go that route...

Comment

Had some venison at a restaurant out in western Massachusetts this weekend that was absolutely delicious. The owner of the restaurant actually shot the deer the previous day.

I haven't been hunting in a decade. Might be time to get my licenses and gear up. Very cheap way to get some good quality meat.
                              ----------
                              Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

Comment

Working...
                              X