Good carbs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
    This sounds like something you get when you spend time on a restrictive diet. Ignore the binging for a while, you'll eventually treat carbs like any other food after you get used to them.

Your body is governed by quantum mechanics. I bet everything you're having a problem with is placebo because you except problems and binging. Treat it like everything else(it's just fucking food, man) and it won't mean anything.
    I had this same issue when I was eating a CW diet and I could still go through four baked potatoes in one sitting. Only difference between now and then was that then I didn't think that was a problem. Now, I know it is.

Let me guess, because the carbs in green veggies are what you call "bad," you don't eat any of them?
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
      I had this same issue when I was eating a CW diet and I could still go through four baked potatoes in one sitting. Only difference between now and then was that then I didn't think that was a problem. Now, I know it is.

Let me guess, because the carbs in green veggies are what you call "bad," you don't eat any of them?
      Well, you're the only one who can tell yourself when to stop. If you don't have any other problems as you say it's just a matter of knowing your own limits. Maybe you're overeating the baked potatoes because they have things you need? I overeat the shit out of fruit sometimes and don't care at all.

As far as green vegetables go, I don't eat them because they're useless and taste like trash.
      Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
        Well, you're the only one who can tell yourself when to stop. If you don't have any other problems as you say it's just a matter of knowing your own limits. Maybe you're overeating the baked potatoes because they have things you need? I overeat the shit out of fruit sometimes and don't care at all.

As far as green vegetables go, I don't eat them because they're useless and taste like trash.
        You could POTENTIALLY argue that my binges are caused by a lack of the carbs my body "needs" and it is trying to tell me that, but I'm not convinced. I could do the exact same thing while I was a CW eater (though I didn't make the connection), and I certainly didn't need any more carbs back then. But that simply didn't seem to register for my body.

And here we have someone extrapolating for their own n=1 and applying it to everyone. Reason number one for why I hate labeling things as good vs. bad.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

You could POTENTIALLY argue that my binges are caused by a lack of the carbs my body "needs" and it is trying to tell me that, but I'm not convinced. I could do the exact same thing while I was a CW eater (though I didn't make the connection), and I certainly didn't need any more carbs back then. But that simply didn't seem to register for my body.

And here we have someone extrapolating for their own n=1 and applying it to everyone. Reason number one for why I hate labeling things as good vs. bad.
          I don't just mean the carbs, but potatoes have an abundance of important minerals and vitamins. I don't worry about how much I eat anymore, I just eat until I don't want to eat anymore. It works for me. I don't binge much, and if I do I hardly feel bad about it. Tonight I ate 3lbs of dates, and I feel great. Probably way too much fiber but whatever.

I've never liked green vegetables. Ever. They don't taste good, and they need to be cooked for hours and hours. But it's not just because they taste bad is why they're thrown in the "bad carb" list. They contain anti-nutrients and they obviously shouldn't be eaten hence why they taste so awful and bitter. They're definitely not good for your intestinal health either.
          Make America Great Again

Comment

Some people (myself included), have quite a sensitivity to carbs, blood sugar spiking, and weight gain. I tend to binge on carbs myself, unfortunately. To assume that because it worked for you, it will for everyone is a fallacy. My goal here is not to demonize carbs as a macro but rather to get folks to understand that it's all about your personal n=1.

What irks me about this place is when a lot of you guys discover something for yourself or get an idea in your head, you assume it must be true for everyone and forget how individual things like nutrition really are. I'm not meaning to single you out but just saying my own piece on the matter.
            I'm not trying to pick a fight here, and I of all people am painfully aware that works well for some people does not for others. For example, many people on this forum demonize carbs (or throw out blanket statements that they are bad, cause inflammation, etc...) and assert that the one right way to eat is high fat and big ass salads...I tried it, and ended up giving myself some pretty serious health issues that took many months to rectify. I never, ever, ever assume that other people should be doing what I'm doing, so I apologize if I gave you that impression.

I actually used to feel the same way about carbs that you do now. I have a pretty awful binge eating history, which I mistakenly blamed on carbs. It took a really long time for me to change my food psychology, but once I did, it was like I became a new person and I could see that my food issues had nothing to do with the food itself.

Now that I have given myself permission to eat as much sugar (real, organic sugar cane, not HFCS), I find that I don't crave it anymore, I don't think about it ever, and I consume a lot less of it that I expected I would. I've also realized that the digestive trouble I had previously attributed to sugar is actually due to HFCS, not actual real sugar.

Surprisingly, not eating HFCS, there is very little candy or junk food available to eat. Since I also avoid PUFAs and gluten, that basically takes it to zero, so my sugar consumption (aside from fruit) comes in the form of teaspoons of sugar in homemade lemonade or tea. Same goes with carbs; anything fried or on bread is out, so I basically eat potatoes and rice and some GF oatmeal for carbs.

It seems paradoxical, but eating sugar and starches in this way feels clean, much easier than what I was doing before when I was restricting carbs, and has actually fixed most of the health issues I created by eating high fat/low carb.

Comment

I find I don't really ever "crave" carbs. My issue is only when I sit down and actually begin to eat them. Then it triggers something in me that I don't really have any good explanation for other than "I binge." The issue begins when consumption does.

It's not like I walk around all day thinking "oh, God I've got to have some carbs or I'm going to die!" I don't have carbohydrate dreams.

This is why I think the issue is less a psychological addiction, and maybe something else I am just having difficulty putting my finger on.

Comment

Derpaderp, we finally almost agree on something!

bad carbs(hard to digest): green vegetables
                bad carbs(stressful) legumes, grains
                good carbs: fruit, milk sugar, white sugar, roots and tubers
                Aside from SOME fruits not sitting well with me, and being dairy intolerant for whatever reason, yes. I x2 you on this one! Daily, maybe not. But after a hard bike ride or a solid few days/week of VLC, yeah, some starches or sugar can be a good kick-in-the-glycogen to mix things up. Sure, that first day back on VLC is a little grumbly in the tummy, but the fat is burning by day 2 and it's business as usual. I say it pays to burn both fuels efficiently. Fat, I do feel best on, but not forever. Did keto for three weeks and it was great, but then just knew it was time for some sweet potatoes. Body said so! So I ATE THEM, LOTS OF THEM, and I'm perfectly FINE because they're safe. Call it a binge, a cycle, a reload, whatever you want. It just happens naturally.

Maybe you're just hungry, Drumroll.
                Last edited by Knifegill; 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I doubt it. I eat plenty, whether I am VLC or binging on carbs. I doubt my caloric need (unless I'm coming out of a long fast) is over 4,000 calories and I've had binges that bad before.

When I eat VLC and high fat, I eat between 1,700 and 2,000 calories depending on my activity level on a particular day. This seems more reasonable given that I am not some super huge muscle-bound man who burns through 3,000 calories a day.

Comment

Well, my numbers look similar, Drumroll. But I feel great, look good and my labs are all spot-on. What is wrong with a 4000 calorie, high-carb day here and there? I don't get it yet. We're born to eat, and eat big. How is this a problem?
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      Well, my numbers look similar, Drumroll. But I feel great, look good and my labs are all spot-on. What is wrong with a 4000 calorie, high-carb day here and there? I don't get it yet. We're born to eat, and eat big. How is this a problem?
                      It's not a problem if it's on occasion. Key word here though, is "occasion." If I were to consume carbs daily, and regularly binge to that level, I would no doubt gain weight. And LOTS of it.

This is why I can't include them as a daily part of my diet like some folks can (and often, insist that everyone do). I might be able to justify the sporadic carb refeed, but beyond that, I can't be trusted to have more than what's in the non-starchy veggies I consume on a regular basis. I believe my personal n=1 has proved this.

It doesn't matter if we were meant to "eat big" as you put it, but not all of us want to be consuming 4,000 or more calories every single day.

Comment

I agree fully! Who are your ancestors, anyway?
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Carbs are awesome for you. They're just as good as fats, if not better. Just make sure they're from whole foods: potatoes, fruit, cassava, sweet potatoes, squashes, whatever. Avoid grains and heavily refined sugars. That's not a carb issue, that's an individual food issue. Hell, seed oils are far worse for you on average than grains and they're a fat, not a carb. It always comes down to the individual food.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

It's not a problem if it's on occasion. Key word here though, is "occasion." If I were to consume carbs daily, and regularly binge to that level, I would no doubt gain weight. And LOTS of it.

This is why I can't include them as a daily part of my diet like some folks can (and often, insist that everyone do). I might be able to justify the sporadic carb refeed, but beyond that, I can't be trusted to have more than what's in the non-starchy veggies I consume on a regular basis. I believe my personal n=1 has proved this.

It doesn't matter if we were meant to "eat big" as you put it, but not all of us want to be consuming 4,000 or more calories every single day.
                            This is a food reward/calorie issue. If you combine lots of fat and carbs together, it signals your brain to overeat. Go out and buy a 10 lb sack of white potatoes. Make your meat of the very lean variety. Eye round, chicken breast, well-trimmed pork loin, etc. Do not add cooking fat. Keep the meal as close to zero fat as possible. See if you can overeat baked white potatoes and steamed chicken breast. I challenge you. If you're binging on sweet potatoes, it's because you're putting too much butter and cinnamon on them.
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                              I agree fully! Who are your ancestors, anyway?
                              I have mostly European (particularly Anglo-Saxon but also a small amount of German and Polish) blood in me. I do not have any Asian in me, though I almost wish I did since they metabolize carbs naturally, very well (I know this is a generalization, but it is for the most part, true).

I come from heavy meat consuming ancestry for which the introduction of high carb diets is actually relatively new (farming days and later), so I think this might explain why I seem to do better on a high-fat, VLC diet for the most part. This won't apply to everyone of similar background though, and my n=1 is more important than my genetic background I think.

Comment

Polish, here, too. And Irish and 1/8 Native American. Heavy animal eaters, too, as far as I know.
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X