What's the real deal with gluten?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the real deal with gluten?

So i was just wandering, what is the big deal with gluten in terms of health effects? a lot of people seem to avoid it like the plague . Personally i have absolutely no side-effects to eating gluten, i have taken it out of my diet before and reintroduced with it with no effects whatsoever. Avoiding gluten really limits some of my favourite food options as in sausages, sauces etc. If i can tolerate gluten well is there any reason to actually limit gluten? (I don't need to lose weight or anything I am just looking purely from a health perspective).

Because of reasons.

AC

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
      Because of reasons that are listed in the book and ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET, not just here where you should KNOW BETTER.

AC

There, fixed it.

Comment

Because Mama said....

waterboy.jpg
        “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by Lukey View Post
          Personally i have absolutely no side-effects to eating gluten YET, i have taken it out of my diet before and reintroduced with it with no effects whatsoever YET.
          There. FTFY.

Comment

Then you do as I do, you eat it with pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Darz View Post
              Then you do as I do, you eat it with pleasure.
              Ok, so in your opinion it's fine to eat gluten if it doesn't affect you?

Comment

Yes, interestingly I did the same as you, by removing it for 4 months and then reintroducing it - nothing changed so I just include foods with it in my diet, like pasta, which I enjoy.
                Last edited by Darz; 11-25-2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Given that it doesn't upset you, I would not worry about the odd bit of gluten in some sausages for example but would not go out of my way to challenge it by eating cake etc. When the occasion arises that you cannot escape then eat what is offered and count it as your 20%.
                  Annie Ups the Ante
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

The problem with that is sausages are a staple in my diet, they are my favourite breakfast. Even if i did eat cake, bread etc it wouldn't effect me negatively at all, no amount of gluten seems to effect me in anyway.
                    Last edited by Lukey; 11-25-2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Reasons= autoimmune diseases.

You may not feel the effects now, immediately. Only the select few who react to grains, those with Celiac disease get immediate noticeable problems. For others the damage happens slowly over time, you get older and start feeling feeling sick all the time and the doctors can't figure out why. They say chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia or something else many people consider 'normal' with age ... arthritis.

I don't really think that those are dice you want to throw?
                      It's a bit like playing Russian roulette with 4 chambers loaded instead of one. Not good odds.

This guys talking style is annoying, too busy, but it's all accurate info.

Fast, simple, explanation... of BOTH ways people can have gluten sensitivity.

Of course...
                      We all have to make our own decisions about what we are willing to risk.
                      Gluten/grain does NOT go in my mouth.
                      It made me extremely sick for years and years, and I'm still recovering from the diseases it caused.
                      It struck me early in life... my first major autoimmune disease at 25. But since going grain free I'm actually recovering and healing FOR REAL after 15 years of being told to 'live with it' by doctors and given hard drugs and having 10 surgeries.
                      YMMV.
                      Last edited by cori93437; 11-25-2012, 12:07 PM.
                      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Wow, what a great response, thanks. I'm glad you took the time to write that, rather than just leave a sarcastic response like some others. I'll take a look at those vids and do some other research.

Comment

I agree, very interesting vid.

Comment

I'm curious how old you are. A few years ago, I don't know that I would have noticed any sensitivity to gluten, but I'm 24 and have been noticing problems with gluten and especially rancid/high-omega-6 oils for at least a couple years. I believe I would develop arthritis in my right knee if I did not eat this way, or I already have, but keep it at bay, since it hurts really badly when I eat gluten and/or eat out (unidentified oils are usually soybean).
                            Depression Lies

Comment

My MIL claims she has no ill effects from gluten but has auto immune diseases now...Reynauds syndrome and horrible arthritis in her hands---but at this point in her life cannot lay blame on gluten. I think it's the latent effects that are more concerning...
                              Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                              http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X