Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb loading toddler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carb loading toddler

    Hi All,

    My question is... if our genes aren't programmed to eat carbs, why does my 17 month old inhale the rice/pasta/potatoes he's given?

    He used to love beef/pork/chicken and has always (and still does) loved his vegies. He's not so fussed on his chicken these days, and we hold back on the carb stuff until he's had a real go at the meat/vegies first.

    Whats the beef?

    As far as I'm aware, he doesn't run marathons.
    I'll be back

  • #2
    Who said we're not programmed to eat carbs?
    Give him fruits and tubers instead of rice and pasta
    We're not programmed to eat poisonous foods yet I'm sure that if you give him a buck'load of candy he'd inhale that too
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

    Comment


    • #3
      Just because we're not programmed to eat something doesn't mean we won't eat it if it's available. If you give him a plate of brussel sprouts and a dish of ice cream, I think we both know which he'll choose.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

      "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

      Comment


      • #4
        Both good points. I guess I meant carb dense food. Yes, sugar would fall into that category as well I guess.

        Im just asking a question. Why does my toddler prefer these foods?
        I'll be back

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BigJilm View Post
          Both good points. I guess I meant carb dense food. Yes, sugar would fall into that category as well I guess.

          Im just asking a question. Why does my toddler prefer these foods?
          Same reason why you prefer these foods -
          Quick sources of energy.
          And they're usually delicious
          Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

          Comment


          • #6
            Simple, bland, mild texture. Kids tend not to be terribly adventurous eaters, meat can be tougher to chew, and the texture not as pleasantly smooth mouthfeel as bland, simple carbs.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

            "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gilleh View Post
              Same reason why you prefer these foods -
              Quick sources of energy.
              And they're usually delicious
              Rice and pasta are delicious? I beg to differ on that one. To me these are the blandest foods on Earth.

              Children often go through phases when it comes to food. Like, a while back for some reason my son used to consume ungodly amounts of nasty, sour ketchup with any and every food for a while. It's almost as if their taste buds haven't fully developed yet. LOL!

              Comment


              • #8
                The only thing we know for sure it that humans evolved mostly in the context of calorie shortage – the more you can get, the better. Since starches and sugar were rare, but also great sources of calories, we evolved a heightened taste for them.

                On a more speculative note about why many prefer carbs at times: The fatty foods we eat now are not much different than fatty foods of the past: there is not much more fat any any modern food than there is in bone marrow, eggs, fatty meat, etc..., so when we eat fatty foods we can't really over-excite our taste response to them. With carbs, it is a different story. We have access to amounts of sugar and starch that no paleolithic individual ever would have, so when we eat them, there (for many people) is a highly positive response.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                  Just because we're not programmed to eat something doesn't mean we won't eat it if it's available. If you give him a plate of brussel sprouts and a dish of ice cream, I think we both know which he'll choose.
                  My toddler would tell you the ice cream was cold, throw it overboard, then proceed to devour the brussel sprouts (provided they are covered in olive oil and garlic).

                  With that said, as a previous poster pointed out, kids go through phases. some weeks my kid can't get enough tomatoes, other weeks he can't get enough chicken soup and wont touch a tomato.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I agree with kids and phases. Kids are also growing at a very rapid rate and so their bodies can put the carbs to excellent use, even if they aren't running a marathon. Watching my 2.5yo though, I think he might come close to running the equivalent of a marathon for his little body every day. He doesn't stop moving while awake! We make sure to offer plenty of fruits and high carb veggies. We provide small portions of each item offered at lunch/dinner and allow seconds/thirds on whatever they choose.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                      I agree with kids and phases. Kids are also growing at a very rapid rate and so their bodies can put the carbs to excellent use, even if they aren't running a marathon. Watching my 2.5yo though, I think he might come close to running the equivalent of a marathon for his little body every day. He doesn't stop moving while awake! We make sure to offer plenty of fruits and high carb veggies. We provide small portions of each item offered at lunch/dinner and allow seconds/thirds on whatever they choose.


                      Maybe it's got something to do with the opiate effect of white flour. Can't remember where I read it but I really think it has an effect and why I want more and more if I just have a few bites ( so I just don't)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        you're not planning to deny your growing child carbohydrate... right?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jakey View Post
                          you're not planning to deny your growing child carbohydrate... right?
                          I should hope not. This is why misinformation can be so dangerous. Technically speaking a 17 month old ahould still be having breast milk as their main source of calories. Breast milk is about half sugar, obviosly children need sugar to grow.

                          Using primal ideas to serve better food to your families is one thing but taking everything as a form of gospal and forcing it on children who cant decide for themselves is another. Paleo is just a theory. There is no doubt that processed food is not as healthy as whole food but there is quite a bit of theory in how humans are supposed to eat, how much fat, carbs, etc. what an overweight sick adult eats to get healthy is not what a healthy growing child should eat.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Zach View Post
                            I should hope not. This is why misinformation can be so dangerous. Technically speaking a 17 month old ahould still be having breast milk as their main source of calories. Breast milk is about half sugar, obviosly children need sugar to grow.
                            Of course you are correct that children don't need to be on a low carb diet, but just be careful with the sugar reference. The lactose (glucose + galactose) in milk is entirely different than the sucrose (glucose + fructose) that most people think of when you say sugar. Children clearly don't require fructose to do anything, and there is very conclusive evidence showing that too much of it can lead to serious problems.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I understand children have an instinctive desire for sweet to ensure they latch on to take breast milk. It is also instinctive to avoid bitter as most toxins are bitter. Once past these early stages the tastes will develop to enjoy other healthy foods as they are introduced.
                              Last edited by Dirlot; 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM.
                              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X