Stubborn or Smart?--vent :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
    This is true, but even so, it's nice to have some support sometimes and not have to do EVERYTHING alone. Surely even you can admit that much.
    the only thing that gets me is people who are so opinionated that they can't help but comment on what you're eating even while you're eating it. the worst thing is when it's so blatantly regurgitated fda nonsense. i know people who won't even let me salt my food in peace, so yes, i can agree there.
    Make America Great Again

Comment

This is true, but even so, it's nice to have some support sometimes and not have to do EVERYTHING alone. Surely even you can admit that much.
      Yup. Where do you live?

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post

solstice, why not bring your own salmon dish to Thanksgiving next year? Then you can avoid the turkey without making demands on or burdening your family... and they can have some salmon too!
        Hi oxide!
        I'm not opposed to bringing the salmon...but I joked this year that for the two houses we visited I made: salad, brussel sprouts, carrot soup and GF desserts. Imight as well take on the meal at the rate I'm going! ...but I guess that would involve more house cleaning!
        Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
        http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Unfortunately, this kind of lifestyle change can be very difficult for some to understand. Not everyone agrees with the way I eat either. But I don't care, lol!!

Bottom line, it's your body and it's your life. You are the one that has to live with the decision to eat that fast food and feel like shit afterward, not anyone in your family. Stand for yourself and what you believe in. I know it's irritating to have people question you or call you stubborn for not going off plan. But that's their problem. Maybe they are just jealous because you have the willpower and fortitude to not be tempted by nasty fast food and they don't. You are doing awesome, keep up the good work!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JoPaleo View Post
            Yup. Where do you live?
            I'm near DC myself, but I'm not sure where I'll be next year at this time. But that doesn't matter. I'd love to meet some local primal followers some day, wherever that may be. Heh.

Oh well. I'm doing pretty well all things considered. The biggest thing is that my family has fought me tooth and nail on this right from the start.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

That's me and my family. They actually spent such a large portion of this Thanksgiving mocking me about my "diet" that I am consideting not even attending next year. They are driving me away with their uncalled for mocking. Way to go for making family members not feel welcome you guys, great job.
              So sorry to hear this It's one thing to be like "Wow...weird" and another to have your family mock you. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't attend next year, either.
              The good news is, some of my family is as "into" food as I am, though they don't follow Primal or Paleo. They buy organic and support local farmers and avoid big box stores (and pretty much anything IN a box!), so I'm lucky there. The other side thinks Supersizing their McDonalds is fine as long as you always drink diet, or tea (with lots of Splenda! *puke*). I don't even go there with them...there's absolutely no point. I don't mention the diet pop or the McNasty burger or the Splenda or the other stuff because it's none of my business, but the day they start mocking me for making proper food choices is the day our family would be divided because I would possibly come unglued.

Comment

Agreed Shelly. My father asked me why I won't at grains and I gave him my usual bucket list. I prefaced AND closed with "but that's just what works for me. You have to decide for yourself."

Apparently, he's decided for EVERYONE. *shrugs*
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I don't really give half a crap what anyone says about me and what I eat or don't eat. I'm healthy, lean, I've got energy, and if you don't look as good as I do, I won't listen to what you have to say. Lead by example, and ignore the naysayers. Look good so you can shove it in their faces Harsh, but it works.
                  F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Ultimately, you have to learn to not need approval from anyone. You make and own the consequences of your decisions. Looking for outside approval allows others to control your happiness....which is a recipe for unhappiness.

Comment

People are threatened by success and women in particular like to sabotage weight loss.

I go the route of "wow, I had no idea how much grains were hurting me". This gives them the out of "oh, she had an allergy" versus "Oh, geez, I need to give up grains". LOL, the problem was with me, not them.

Women like other women to join them in things that make them feel bad- they want someone to eat cheesecake and ice cream with so they don't feel alone in what they know are bad choices. They aren't worried about YOU, they want someone to share in something (lack of control of diet), that they are ashamed of.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                        I don't really give half a crap what anyone says about me and what I eat or don't eat. I'm healthy, lean, I've got energy, and if you don't look as good as I do, I won't listen to what you have to say. Lead by example, and ignore the naysayers. Look good so you can shove it in their faces Harsh, but it works.
                        I like the way you think. My sister can tell me all she wants about how "cutting out a whole food group isn't healthy", yada, yada, but we both used to wear 16s and I now wear 6s. I am also climbing mountains while she is getting multiple body part replacements.

Women like other women to join them in things that make them feel bad- they want someone to eat cheesecake and ice cream with so they don't feel alone in what they know are bad choices. They aren't worried about YOU, they want someone to share in something (lack of control of diet), that they are ashamed of.
                        Exactly, Magnolia. This is why they keep pushing cake or cookies at you saying, "Oh, come on, once in a while won't hurt".
                        Last edited by Paleobird; 11-25-2012, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                          Women like other women to join them in things that make them feel bad- they want someone to eat cheesecake and ice cream with so they don't feel alone in what they know are bad choices.
                          There's an addiction angle to this. If you think of wheat (and possibly sugar) as addictive drugs, it explains a lot of behavior. How many people at the office try to "push" donuts and cake on you. Or, if you point out that carbs aren't good, they get defensive, almost as defensive as smokers do. And yes, woman are extremely competitive. A thin person is more likely to attract the guys, ya know. Must keep everyone else fat at all costs.
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            I like the way you think. My sister can tell me all she wants about how "cutting out a whole food group isn't healthy", yada, yada, but we both used to wear 16s and I now wear 6s. I am also climbing mountains while she is getting multiple body part replacements.

Exactly, Magnolia. This is why they keep pushing cake or cookies at you saying, "Oh, come on, once in a while won't hurt".
                            It's ironic, because some people who have told me cutting out grains is not healthy would stand on their heads to cut out ALL fats...

Years ago, I watched a BBC program called "Half Ton Son" about weight loss surgery. Aside from getting into all that, I remember the mother telling her kid (who was trying to stick to the diet and drop from 800+ pounds) that "one piece of pizza wouldn't kill him". Yikes.

Comment

Working...
                            X