X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCAA's (amino acids)

Reading up on fasting and working out.

How to Implement Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple

Says in the Leangains part that if you work out in a fasted state, you should take BCAA's.

"you have the option of consuming 10 grams of branched chain amino acids 10 minutes before the workout."

I bought a bottle of Amino Acids today and it says to take 2, 3 times a day. If I'm doing the fasting, should I just take them before I work out as stated?

Thank in advance.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Yes. I work out fasted and take BCAA's. My bottle instructs to take two capsules 30-40 minutes before a workout and maybe again after the workout (optional). So that's what I do.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

Technically 1 gram of amino acid has the same amount of calories in protein (because protein is made up of amino acids). If you're anal about your calories, then it's a minor technicality. But it probably won't effect the results of your fast.

On the other hand, I have never taken the amino acids when working out fasted and I have not had any issues or problems with my workouts. So it might be helpful but it certainly isn't NECESSARY.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

So it might be helpful but it certainly isn't NECESSARY.

Comment

BCAAs are fine, but are a waste of money. Just use a few hard boiled egg whites or some beef jerky instead. Same molecules for a lot less money.

Comment

Maybe it's coincedence, but I couldn't get through a press and bench press stall for a very long time, I started fasting before working out and take bcaa's, I immediatly broke them
            well then

Comment

I don't believe beef has a complete amino acid profile.

Here is a good review on BCAAs and resistance exercise: Skeletal Muscle Protein Metabolism and Resistance Exercise

TL;DR: "Consumption of essential amino acids before resistance training stimulates more muscle synthesis than consumption immediately after and 1h after training."

If you are fasting, just take your BCAAs any time before you workout. Afterwards, just consume food.

More on how it works: Branched Chain Amino Acids - In-Depth Scientific Supplement Information | Examine.com

Comment

Working...
              X