Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating More Vegetables than a Vegetarian.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 radishes
    1 tomato
    1/2 pepper
    1 cup mixed greens
    2-3 cups of chopped fresh cabbage
    Might throw in onion in fish soup
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Today:
      200g celeriac
      50g swede
      1 carrot
      250g squash
      4 leaves of savoy cabbage
      2/3 of a bushel of fresh spinach
      And I'll be having a banana or an apple later.
      That's a bit more representative of my average day.
      --
      Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
      I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
      I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Additionally. "Veg" in my shopping today:
        -1kg carrots
        -500g parnsips
        -1 swede
        -1 cucumber
        -1kg bananas
        That means my drawer has that AND
        -1kg squash
        -400g celeriac
        -2/3 savoy cabbage
        -1 bushel spinach
        And my fruitbowl has:
        -three granny smiths
        -1 persimmon
        -2 clementines
        -800g of dried dates (unsweetened)

I wonder what most vegetarian's "vegetable" stock-ups look like...
        Last edited by Kochin; 11-22-2012, 12:39 PM. Reason: rubbish spelling
        --
        Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Mushrooms aren't a veggie? Dammit... well, let's see... *flips open food log* Romaine lettuce, avocado, yellow bell pepper and cucumber. Also quite a lot of tomatoes and onions with the pork ribs at night. Could have been better.
          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

You know, if I was a vegan, I'd be eating plenty of vegetables (including mushrooms, regardless of botanical designation), starchy roots and tubers, olive and coconut oils and the (healthy) like, and rice and beans for protein. That sounds much better that rancid flour and soy Franken-foods.

And why is tea "invalid"?
            "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Comment

Typical day of food:

B: 1portion leafy vegetables with bacon or eggs
              L: BAS ( 4 kinds of veg) + meat or fritatta (with veg in it)
              D: Stew - meat, bone broth, 3 kinds of veg, seasoning

Comment

Celebrated Thanksgiving today, but stayed home with my son instead of spending the day with family, so I didn't have to eat the traditional carb-laden meal. Instead, my menu included the following dishes as sides to the obligatory turkey (local, pastured, fresh and so much better than the CAFO turkey purchased at a store):

Mashed cauliflower and turnip
                Pan roasted brussels sprouts with bacon
                Sausage and mushroom dressing (no bread, of course)
                Roasted yams drizzled with butter and maple syrup
                Cranberry waldorf salad, which was made with dried apricots, grapes, apple and whipped coconut cream

I have to say it was all delicious and it didn't cause us to fall into a food-induced coma afterwards because it was all Primal.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                  Your post fails to identify why most vegetarians are not true vegetarians.
                  My post stands: No further explanation required. If you are close to any vegetarians you'll understand exactly what my post means.
                  ----------------------------------------
                  F, 48, 5'10"
                  Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                  Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

When I started Primal/paleo I was all about the MEAT. Now I better understand the gatherer part of hunter gatherer. Especially after watching Dr. Terry Wahls TED talk on youtube .
                    She says 5-9 servings of fruits and veggies a day. I donít like to cook, nor am I good at it. So Iíve been putting my vitamix to work. I make a green smoothie 4-5 times a week with these ingredients. It fills about 2x32 oz mason jars. I drink one right away, put the other in the fridge. Then eat a protein heavy meal midday and the other smoothie for my third meal. This works well for my shift work schedule, and I notice a difference in brain fog and general wellbeing if I skip a couple of days.

Fruit and vegies
                    3-5 stalks of kale stem and leaves
                    1 large carrot
                    1 large stalk celery
                    2 leaves of napa cabbage
                    1-2 Handfuls of spinach or 3-4 chard stem and leaves
                    Small bunch of parsley or cilantro
                    1/2-1 apple
                    1/2-1 pear
                    1/ 3 frozen banana
                    3-5 frozen strawberries
                    5-8 frozen raspberries
                    5-8 frozen blackberries
                    Ĺ-1 cup blueberries
                    Sometimes 5-10 cranberries
                    Sometimes 2-4 chunks of frozen mango

NON fruit/veg adds
                    1 cup plain coconut milk
                    1/2 cup plain coconut kefir, or coconut yogurt
                    2 tbsp. chia seeds
                    1 tsp. cacao nibs (any more and I canít sleep)
                    1-2scoops GNC amp strawberry whey (20-40mg protein)
                    4 brazil nuts
                    8 macadamia nuts
                    1 oz. homemade spirulina(10g), chlorella (5g), berry, mushroom, root, and herb powder mix
                    Stevia to taste 0-3 packets

I have been trying to expand/exchange/rotate in some new greens and vegies. Any suggestions? Beets?

Comment

I like to use sweet bell peppers (red/yellow/orange, not green) in my smoothies. Fennel is also excellent, it will impart a slight anise (licorice) flavor, and you can use the stalks and fronds as well as the bulb. Cucumber makes it refreshing, I like to use the seedless variety. Zucchini will actually make it a little creamy in texture. With all the fruit you have in there I wouldn't add the beets, since they're high in sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by joelwlcx View Post
                        You know, if I was a vegan, I'd be eating plenty of vegetables (including mushrooms, regardless of botanical designation), starchy roots and tubers, olive and coconut oils and the (healthy) like, and rice and beans for protein. That sounds much better that rancid flour and soy Franken-foods.

And why is tea "invalid"?
                        Tea doesn't count as you brew it. If you eat tealeaves or drink several litres a day, then you might be able to argue that it makes a significant dent in your nutrient intake, but, otherwise, it's just a nice-tasting brew with few benefits that can't be got from eating fresh herbs and leafy greens. I drink TONS of tea, but the extra fluid seems to be making more of a difference than "antioxidants" ever will.
                        I'd consider eating tealeaves, though... Or using them in a vegetable stock... yum!
                        --

--
                        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by kot View Post
                          When I started Primal/paleo I was all about the MEAT. Now I better understand the gatherer part of hunter gatherer. Especially after watching Dr. Terry Wahls TED talk on youtube .
                          She says 5-9 servings of fruits and veggies a day. I donít like to cook, nor am I good at it. So Iíve been putting my vitamix to work. I make a green smoothie 4-5 times a week with these ingredients. It fills about 2x32 oz mason jars. I drink one right away, put the other in the fridge. Then eat a protein heavy meal midday and the other smoothie for my third meal. This works well for my shift work schedule, and I notice a difference in brain fog and general wellbeing if I skip a couple of days.

Fruit and vegies
                          3-5 stalks of kale stem and leaves
                          1 large carrot
                          1 large stalk celery
                          2 leaves of napa cabbage
                          1-2 Handfuls of spinach or 3-4 chard stem and leaves
                          Small bunch of parsley or cilantro
                          1/2-1 apple
                          1/2-1 pear
                          1/ 3 frozen banana
                          3-5 frozen strawberries
                          5-8 frozen raspberries
                          5-8 frozen blackberries
                          Ĺ-1 cup blueberries
                          Sometimes 5-10 cranberries
                          Sometimes 2-4 chunks of frozen mango

NON fruit/veg adds
                          1 cup plain coconut milk
                          1/2 cup plain coconut kefir, or coconut yogurt
                          2 tbsp. chia seeds
                          1 tsp. cacao nibs (any more and I canít sleep)
                          1-2scoops GNC amp strawberry whey (20-40mg protein)
                          4 brazil nuts
                          8 macadamia nuts
                          1 oz. homemade spirulina(10g), chlorella (5g), berry, mushroom, root, and herb powder mix
                          Stevia to taste 0-3 packets

I have been trying to expand/exchange/rotate in some new greens and vegies. Any suggestions? Beets?
                          Look up a chart of seasonal veg. Not the ones that list 10-20 vegetables, one of the complete ones. And, when you want to spice your smoothies up, pick something that's in season and that sounds/looks interesting.
                          You discover a lot of new and interesting flavours when you go boldly... forth. Nope... That wasn't about to become a Star Trek joke... Not at all.
                          --

--
                          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

1. Buy bag of frozen vegetables
                            2. Thaw
                            3. Saute in a bit of coconut oil

750g of veggies, guaranteed, every day.

Comment

So far today:
                              -1 banana
                              -1 persimmon
                              -2 leaves cabbage
                              -1 carrot
                              -1 parsnip
                              -150g squash
                              -50g swede
                              -50g cucumber

A banana and some more veg due later with dinner!
                              --

--
                              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Mmgh, I spotted alfalfala sprouts yesterday, so I have had that with my salmon... Today I am thinking

-a few radishes
                                -a tomato
                                -sprouts

I am not feeling like cabbages today, but I might change my mind yet! Gotta buy red cabbage one of this days
                                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                                X