Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating More Vegetables than a Vegetarian.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Most vegetarians are not true vegetarians. Most vegetarians eat waaaay too many carbohydrates and as such I call them "carbohydratarians". That's why a lot of 'vegetarians' are sick, overweight and unhealthy.
    Your post fails to identify why most vegetarians are not true vegetarians.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      Yesterday I had about 10 oz of potato and a whole spaghetti squash (forgot to weigh it).

May I ask why mushrooms don't count?
      Fungi are, firstly, a different order to plants, so there's that. Then, "fungi" form the vast majority of vegetarian junk food, so primarily because a vegetarian could argue that their "junk food" meat-replacement is "vegetables". Then you have the fact that most forms found easily are almost nutritionally dead, few kcals, no fats, no accessible protein, minimal sugar, no viable nutrients in any decent amount...
      BUT, the categorization's more based on whether or not, as a "vegetable", it's contributing to your health. All the "valid" ones are healthy and don't have common drawbacks. All the "non valid" ones are either nutritionally deficient (fungi, tea), have drawbacks (grain, processed veg) or are seeds, which, be they nuts (which I DO eat), grains or beans (which I don't), I refuse to accept as a "vegetable". OK, maybe I should move the nuts back into "valid"... It just feels too "wrong" to do so, though... *obsessed with order*

But, basically: valid veg are leaves, roots, flowers, fruit and stems. Non-valid veg are plant-babies, processed stuff and low-nutrient "veg". That was the original categorization I used, anyhow.
      Last edited by Kochin; 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM.
      --
      Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
      I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
      I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Starting to think I may have a problem that makes me love arbitrary order... (Based on the "nuts" thing above.)
        --
        Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Thank you for your answer, orderly or not.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

B: 5 leaves silverbeet.
            L: 1 carrot. olives. parsley. juice of half a lemon.
            D: onions, tinned tomato, lettuce, sprouts, avocado.

A different day:
            B: silverbeet, mushrooms, capsicum
            L: banana
            D: kumara. watermelon.
            Last edited by Annieh; 11-22-2012, 04:15 PM. Reason: update
            Annie Ups the Ante
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by Zen11 View Post
              Well, I've always loved and eaten lots of fruit and veggies, but even more so now. Today the veggies that I had (along with plenty of meat and fat!):

Breakfast: a big bowl leftover soup that included onion, celery, carrot, garlic, kale, tomato, zucchini
              Lunch: green beans cooked in coconut milk with slivered almonds, and a "throw-together" of chicken, peas, shallots and cauliflower
              Snacked on a couple dried apricots while making a dish for tomorrow's Thanksgiving feast
              Dinner (will be): ground beef mixed with salsa, served over chopped romaine lettuce and topped with diced avocado and sliced radishes
              Yu-um!
              Annie Ups the Ante
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Today's vegetable intake: one banana, one orange, one pomegranate, one tomato, some sticks of cucumber, a gigantic bunch of kale, and probably a bowl of the leftover mashed potatoes from last night's dinner.

However, I dispute the idea that mushrooms are nutritionally meaningless. They are a source of a number of important minerals including copper and selenium, and they're calorically almost non-existent so you can add them in for the nutritional value without much impact otherwise. Yes, they tend to be the basis of some vegan weirdnesses such as Quorn (seriously, WTF?) but that doesn't mean they aren't a good part of one's diet. But I agree, fungi aren't vegetables because, well, they're not plants.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Sometimes I date boring men, but I'd rather go out with a fungi.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
                    Most vegetarians are not true vegetarians. Most vegetarians eat waaaay too many carbohydrates and as such I call them "carbohydratarians". That's why a lot of 'vegetarians' are sick, overweight and unhealthy.
                    I call them carbivores
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Just noticed the OP spelled MOAR wrong in title...

Comment

I eat more veges than anyone I know IRL.

Breakfast: Spinach, mushrooms, four pieces of bacon and four eggs.
                        PWO: Can of tuna.
                        Lunch: Canned salmon salad (tomato/capsicum/rocket lettuce/capers/gherkins/nori wrap)
                        Afternoon tea: Two apples sliced into chips with cinnamon and cocoa powder (out of almond butter )
                        Dinner: Two grass-fed sirloin steaks, kumara fries and two big nori wraps of asparagus and mixed salad.

Typically have a big-ass salad at least once a day - usually lunch, with a smaller one alongside dinner. Oddly, couldn't stand vegetables pre-Primal, but now... can't get enough of them.
                        Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                        https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                        MFP Food Diary:
                        http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                        (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

I have a feeling most vegetarian diets are full of soy "meat" and other meat replacement products and snack/junk foods than vegetables themselves. I used to be one of them in my teens.
                          F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                            I have a feeling most vegetarian diets are full of soy "meat" and other meat replacement products and snack/junk foods than vegetables themselves. I used to be one of them in my teens.
                            That's pretty much all my cousins eat. Never seen them even touch a vegetable.
                            Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                            https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                            MFP Food Diary:
                            http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                            (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                              +1
                              Why, if you have all the bounty of the world's fruit and veg, as many eggs and as much raw dairy as you like available to you, would you eat TOFURKEY or QUORN?!
                              If you find meat truly gross, surely you don't want something that's trying its best to taste like it?

I mean, I know a few healthy vegetarians and one vegan who ISN'T insanely skinny and feeble (my little sister, she's a goddamn ox of a girl and the only non-skinny vegan in the family, healthy and strong). Every one of them eats the odd bit of tofu/tempeh, veggie take-aways and veggie junk-food as a TREAT and eats healthy, home-grown veg the rest of the time. Think of a vegetarian 80/20: healthy veg 80%, packaged rubbish 20%. I swear to the Gods, were any of these junk-food vegetarians to eat less rubbish, a lot of them could probably be as healthy as us (what with ready access to eggs and yoghurt as a protein and fat source). Hell, there may even be some more "vegan oxen" to be discovered. It kinda frustrates me as much as seeing someone not doing Paleo/Primal properly. They have the potential for excelent health, but settle for mediocrity and preaching about meats.
                              --

--
                              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                                I call them carbivores

Grainitarians.
                                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                                PS
                                Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                                X