It's not working! :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leida View Post
    Roast your vegetables, but make sure that starchy vegetables are minimal, and most of your vegetables are non-starchy (like every kind of cabbage, eggplants, zucchinis, green beans, celery, leeks and peppers rather than beets, carrots, turnips and potatoes).
    Wait a sec. I thought green beans were considered legumes, not vegetables, and weren't really a "Primal" food? Or am I completely wrong?
    Please tell me I'm wrong, because I do love green beans.

Comment

I think that green beans constitute a grey area in the old primal world. In a perfect world, we would avoid them, but they are so affordable that we eat them, and since we are eating more pod than bean, i think it works out in the wash. i think mark even had a blog about it around here somewhere . . .

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        Try this instead:

Breakfast
        4oz meat (beef, ground beef, liver, salmon, eggs, chicken)
        As much vegetables as you want

Lunch

Dinner
        A small sweet potato
        butter if you need it

You can thank me later.
        +100000!! This is my meal plan and it works for me.

Comment

Gosh, some people are a little harsh on here! I think when people ask for advice, it's not kind to berate them for 'whining'. This forum is for sharing tips, isn't it?

Thank you for all your advice though. Yesterday evening, I came in from a run, saw all your advice, followed it and I honestly feel better! It's amazing Finger crossed I will be seeing results in the next month or so!

I had some eggs with veggies this morning for my breakfast and a tiny bit of cream in my tea instead of milk. But I am definitely cutting out most dairy from now on (no yogurt or cheese, just some cream in my tea...I really don't enjoy black tea and tea is vital to my life!!). Now that I think about it, I can see how dairy is probably one of the main culprits.
          Last edited by Romana; 11-22-2012, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
            I think that green beans constitute a grey area in the old primal world. In a perfect world, we would avoid them, but they are so affordable that we eat them, and since we are eating more pod than bean, i think it works out in the wash. i think mark even had a blog about it around here somewhere . . .
            Gotcha. I would imagine if someone has their own vegetable garden and grows/cans their own, that would be more Primal friendly?

Comment

Originally posted by Romana View Post
              Gosh, some people are a little harsh on here! I think when people ask for advice, it's not kind to berate them for 'whining'. This forum is for sharing tips, isn't it?

Thank you for all your advice though. Yesterday evening, I came in from a run, saw all your advice, followed it and I honestly feel better! It's amazing Finger crossed I will be seeing results in the next month or so!

I had some eggs with veggies this morning for my breakfast and a tiny bit of cream in my tea instead of milk. But I am definitely cutting out most dairy from now on (no yogurt or cheese, just some cream in my tea...I really don't enjoy black tea and tea is vital to my life!!). Now that I think about it, I can see how dairy is probably one of the main culprits.
              No kidding. Putting people down does not help anyone. Good luck Romana! Sounds like you're figuring this out.
              : )

Comment

Beans and peas as pods are considered vegetables, while dry beans and peas are considered legumes. There is no restriction on green beans and peas as vegetables in the modern paleo and primal. Only legumes. Even with the legumes, plenty of authors that are close in their philosophy to the paleo and primal, such as Ferris and Hyman suggest legumes as valuable food source. Properly prepared, legumes can be a part of a primal and paleo diet, more valuable than nuts imo, since they share the same flaws as nuts, but carry FAR more beneficial satiation index. I believe if one made a decision to consume tubers, skipping legumes is a hang-over from the initial Paleo days when no starch was allowed, even radishes. I find it odd that people consider eating chocolate (as long as it is >70%) and drinking wine primal, but soaking and eating legumes as non-primal.

EDIT: That's said, just like beets and potatoes, I would avoid mixing legumes with high fat load and reserve them for the lean protein and high carb days.
                Last edited by Leida; 11-22-2012, 08:14 AM.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Romana View Post

Yeah, some folks around here were weaned on sour pickles. For a healthy (happy) living website there are plenty of d-bags that like to chime in. Ignore them, ask your questions and keep at it. I for one hope you succeed!

Comment

As well as Mark's primal blueprint book. My Son also bought me the book "It starts with food" that solidified for me about what I should be eating and how, and started me on the path of not trying to substitute old favourites, but make new, healthier ones. I would recommend both. doing the whole 30 I finally realized I just can't tolerate eggs or dairy, not fun eggs and dairy, particularly together were one of my absolute favourite things
                    Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                    Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Romana, it sounds like you're making changes in the right direction! and if it makes you feel better, even Mark has milk and sugar in his daily coffee.

I'm gonna emphasize again - read a book (or several, and not simply a recipe book, though those contain some yummy primal/paleo friendly eats!) about Paleo/Primal... Primal Blueprint, It Starts With Food, The Paleo Diet, The Paleo Solution, Primal Body Primal Mind...

Here's Mark's take on green beans
                      I still see soaking grains and legumes as non-primal (but it may suit some people)... and I would just avoid legumes all together. I also see chocolate/wine as non-primal, but part of my 20%

Also, (and this is not meant to be rude), as a newbie, you should probably ignore anything encouraging carb loading, or lean protein... those... I'll call them "advanced" techniques come into play when you're stuck on weight loss for a few months, or trying to achieve super-cut-ness.... not when you're just trying to learn how to eat primal/paleo.

One last thing - my PSA blurb to describe primal to people - "You eat REAL, unadulterated food - meat, fish, eggs, TONS of veggies, fruits, nuts, and the whole point is to reduce the toxins coming into your body. I feel great!"

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                      Beans and peas as pods are considered vegetables...
                      ...I find it odd that people consider eating chocolate (as long as it is >70%) and drinking wine primal, but soaking and eating legumes as non-primal.

EDIT: That's said, just like beets and potatoes, I would avoid mixing legumes with high fat load and reserve them for the lean protein and high carb days.

Comment

I am not very overweight, I just used to be a lot slimmer and I want to wear those clothes :P I am about a US size 8 but I used to be a US size 4-6 not so long ago and I spent a lot of money on those clothes, so you see what my motivation is!
                        The closer you are to your body's optimal range, the slower you will see the differences. MEASURE, don't weigh.

My salads were a big pile of salad, with some meat scattered on top and olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled on top. Is this the correct dressing to use?
                        Yes. I make up a big batch of balsamic, olive oil, and a little dijon, honey, lemon juice, salt & pepper. YOur tastes may vary.

My friend basically told me that you can pretty much eat as much as you want as long it's got fat in it, so I went a little wild...oops! Now I know better (I will let her now what you've told me actually because it might help her too!)
                        "As much as you want" means nothing. Does that mean you can eat as much as you WANT, regardless of your body telling you it is long past full?? Eat when you're not hungry, just because everyone else is? Binge on movie popcorn 'just this once?' NO. A better description would be "when you're hungry, eat as much primal food as it takes to satisfy and satiate you, without measuring portions or counting calories."

2. Start being more careful about portions, especially meat. @sbhikes - Thanks for the meal plan! I am going to follow it! I think I've been eating nearer to 8oz of meat...uh oh!
                        Its true. You don't need to OD on protein. If you're going to cut carbs, increase FAT, not protein.

Increase the veggies I'm eating
                        Only if your gut agrees. Too much fiber can have negative effects on some people.

5. Cut out snacks completely
                        Absolutely. If you're eating satisfying meals, you won't need to graze. Don't snack because you're afraid of being hungry. Hunger is a natural state. Embrace it and be thankful that your body knows when its time to refuel.

Is it OK to be roasting vegetables or should I just avoid adding olive oil to things? Is boiling/steaming the best way? (ps, this diet is less fun than I thought, haha! That doesn't mean I'm going to give up though!)
                        Either is fine. If I'm using the oven I roast, if not, I steam or microwave. Lots of butter or fat either way

I think I might take a picture every day to motivate myself and keep track of it.
                        How about weekly? You dont' need to micromanage.

Do you think it's a good idea for me to start weighing myself?
                        good lord no. MEASURE. If your goal is to fit into clothes, let your clothes be your guide, not the scale. The scale has no bearing on the size on your tags. And stop getting hung up on what the tags say. We all know all size 6s are not created equal. A good fitting 8 is going to make you look better than a poor fitting 6. If necessary, have your clothes tailored to fit YOU. That way nobody can wear it as well as you
                        Sandra
                        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Thanks for you suggestion, Silvergirl! I absolutely want to be like that - not finding new ways to eat the same essentially unhealthy food, but learning to eat in a different way. I will be looking up that book

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post

good lord no. MEASURE. If your goal is to fit into clothes, let your clothes be your guide, not the scale. The scale has no bearing on the size on your tags. And stop getting hung up on what the tags say. We all know all size 6s are not created equal. A good fitting 8 is going to make you look better than a poor fitting 6. If necessary, have your clothes tailored to fit YOU. That way nobody can wear it as well as you
                            Great advice, Sandra!

Thank you to everyone for taking the time out to leave advice here. I really appreciate it

Comment

The "Why" of why we're harshing on you

Romana, the reason we're being harsh is that we've seen a lot of threads like this before: beginner Primal isn't strict enough and slips up with nuts/dairy and it's not working what gives? We get kinda impatient... here we go again, another newbie. We don't mean to hurt you. At least know you're in good company -- you're not alone in this!

The best book is Primal Blueprint, but you can get away with Primal Blueprint 21-day Total Body Transformation, or you can just read the Primal 101 section of this website. I've given you the short version below (hope I got it right):

Here is WHY your diet is tripping you up:

Unlike other diets, you're actually changing the way your body does business. Primal works by converting your metabolic hormone system from sugar-burner to fat-burner. We have the DNA to make hormones which either burn fat or burn sugar. When your diet is based on carbs or sugar, your body is accustomed to calling on the piece of DNA which makes sugar-burner (or sugar-storage!!) hormones, like insulin. When you eliminate sugar and start filling with fat, suddenly you have a bunch of sugar-burner hormones with nothing to do, and a bunch of fat that you don't know what to do with. Your body goes into shock for a little while. This is carb flu. Then your body says, "Oh we're eating fat now, are we?" and begins to dust off that piece of DNA which makes the fat-burning hormones. This is what Mark Sisson calls "reprogramming your genes." It takes your body about a month (IMO Mark's 21 days is the minimum) to properly ramp up that hormone process. Once your body starts burning the fat you eat, it now knows how to burn the fat you have sticking around. YAY! But in order to force the body to make the hormone switch, it is imperative that you are VERY strict during the first months of Primal. You have to really DEPRIVE your body of sugar/carb in order to FORCE it to get used to making the fat-burner hormones.

Thinking about it that way, it's easy to see WHY all those nuts and dairy trip people up. Dairy has a lot of sugar, the timing of between-meal snacking clashes with the timing of fat-burning, and nuts don't seem to be as effective as animal or coconut fat. You're not forcing your body into fat-burner mode, so your body hangs onto sugar-burner as long as it can and you're back at Square 1. Most people have to do this cold turkey. If you go through carb flu, that's actually a VERY good sign.

Look at sbhikes's meal plan and follow it to the letter. If you're still snacking, eat more fat during the meal until you're stuffed. That will really shock your body into fat-burner mode. Even if you gain a couple pounds, the important thing is to force your body switch those hormones at all costs. You can work on the fat later.

Calories do matter, especially for women. This is kind of a new concept for Primal. While Mark talks about calories in his books, he gave off the impression that we could just eat all we wanted. Petite women were all confused that they're weren't losing. This forum had a bunch of arguments on counting calories... isn't that conventional wisdom, isn't it obsessive? I thought our bodies gave us a stop signal?... After some discussion, the general consensus is that yes, in theory, your stomach know what "all it wants" is, but your emotions can override and it's easy to overeat. Your body will burn fat calories, but it can only burn through so much in a day. If you want to burn the fat you already have, you have to bring less into your mouth. Not counting may work for men, or those who work out a lot, but women have to at least estimate.

However, don't cut down on calories until you're sure you've switched to fat burner. Heal your metabolism first.

good luck!
                              Last edited by oxide; 11-23-2012, 08:13 AM.
                              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I don't like the idea of confusing someone who is new, but I think that myself for example has never been able to enter fat-burning mode and live happily on 3 or less large meals a day and a huge fasting window, even when I ate coconut oil by a spoon (1/3 cup a day, eww) and stuck to perfect ketonic rules for 30+ days. That actually backfired very badly for me & caused damage.

I graze, but I eat perfectly fine food, meat, vegetables, fermented home-made dairy and nuts. My carbs are somewhere between 50 and 80 g. I do not restrict vegetables.

My measure of success is that when I eat ~ 1500-1700 cals a day with a stable preferred weight, without climbing the walls from hunger; sleep >6 hours a night; have strength and energy not impaired and do not have deep depressive spells about fruit. I normally can achieve it when I go for 1 week or more without sugars.

Somebody posted a few days back that there are people whose fat burning metabolism is just not there or is damaged beyond repair. I am thinking one can be a sugar burner but achieve a healthy balance, though one has to eat a bit more often and a bit less at each sitting, but the choice of foods is still Paleo.

In summary, if Primal does not work after 60 days, switching to a classic Paleo and not sweating that you can't eat 1 meal a day is probably not such a bad idea. After all, the change in nutritional behavior is designed to make you feel great, not to make oneself sick.
                                Last edited by Leida; 11-23-2012, 08:35 AM.
                                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                                X