Nutrition to fight cold sores

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutrition to fight cold sores

I love primal, especially because I no longer get cold sores, at all! I never could have imagined or dared to dream this.

However, the real world does sometimes force me to eat grains on my travels, and then I will develop one almost straight away (talk about the proof is in the eating of the pudding and a real motivator to stave off those evil gluten proteins).

Now as a remedy I found that putting thin slices of garlic on the affected place at bed time and soaking it with echinacea works well but it still takes seven days for it to have fully healed. So my question to you, what natural remedies gets rid of your cold sores and how do you apply it?

if access is available, fresh breastmilk is the best way to get rid of a cold sore. 1-2 applications a few hours apart and it just shrivels up. It also kills pinkeye/conjunctivitis very rapidly.

Now that I have squicked you out, and for those without access.....

I have found that Coconut oil is highly effective for getting rid of cold sores quickly. I will apply 4-5 times throughout the day, and usually by the second day it has almost disappeared, and gone by day 3.

Comment

I've heard people use lysine supplements. LYSINE: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD. I don't have personal experience, but I know that a friend of mine who use to get them quite frequently in college says this worked to stop the outbreaks. Have no idea if it would speed the healing once you already have an outbreak though.
      Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-21-2012, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
        if access is available, fresh breastmilk is the best way to get rid of a cold sore. 1-2 applications a few hours apart and it just shrivels up. It also kills pinkeye/conjunctivitis very rapidly.

Now that I have squicked you out, and for those without access.....

I have found that Coconut oil is highly effective for getting rid of cold sores quickly. I will apply 4-5 times throughout the day, and usually by the second day it has almost disappeared, and gone by day 3.
        Coffee everywhere...! Yes breast milk will be quite hard to get hold of. But coconut oil to the rescue, once again! Really is a super weapon.

Comment

Years ago, in the early '80s, my college roommate told me that his grandmother's cure was to take a LOT of acidophilous and every time I feel a cold sore coming on I take about four acidophilous capsules about four times a day. I do that for a couple of days and I never have a cold sore breakout. It's been working all these years. I used to take cod liver oil for them as a kid and that didn't help. Try acidophilous at the first feeling of a breakout. Goo dluck!

Comment

Are we talking sore on the inside of the lip/mouth or those that are on the outside? I think one is a virus (outside) and one can be stress induced, poor diet induced (inside). Cold sore vs canker sore.

If I spike a high fever I get a fever blister in the exact same spot every time: the top lip (right side) on the outside. If I catch it early enough I can make it go away with 500-1000 mg lysine capsules or a lip balm that has lysine in it.
            sigpic
            Age 48
            Start date: 7-5-12
            5'3"
            121lbs
            GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
            Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

If you get sores frequently and you find lysine helps, take a look at reducing arginine in your diet. Arginine will feed the virus (cause of cold sores) and lysine will kill it; put simply.
              sigpic
              Age 48
              Start date: 7-5-12
              5'3"
              121lbs
              GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
              Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Thanks all! Will have to experiment with acidophilous and lysine to see what works for me

PH, I'm talking about the cold sores on the outside of the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
                  if access is available, fresh breastmilk is the best way to get rid of a cold sore.
                  Whaa?! Hmm it's only primal if the mommy is primal right? LOL I don't have cold sores, but now I have an excuse to ask women for breast milk.
                  "Go For Broke"
                  Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                  Small Kine-168/9%
                  Now- 200/8%
                  Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
                    If you get sores frequently and you find lysine helps, take a look at reducing arginine in your diet. Arginine will feed the virus (cause of cold sores) and lysine will kill it; put simply.
                    Short fire question: what ingredients contain arginine? Never heard of it before!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      Short fire question: what ingredients contain arginine? Never heard of it before!
                      On these travels, when you end up eating grains; do you happen to have peanuts or peanut butter with them? Lots of arginine in those peanuts. Supplementing with lysine is the best way to prevent an outbreak.

Comment

I use L-lysine at the first sign of a cold sore. 1,000mg, 3 x a day for a couple days than gradually tapper off. I also will use some sublingual B12 - 1,000 mcg a day - that helps to calm any tingling or pain. This treatment keeps it from completely erupting and it tends to disappear within 2-3 days for me.

Same treatment has also worked for my husband twice when he had shingles. Symtoms disappeared for him in 4-5 days.
                        Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

+1 on upping your L-Lysine through supplementation. I take 1000mg a day of Lysine, it helps to keep the cold sores in check. It also seems to act as a general anti-viral and I find I get sick less often when taking Lysine.
                          High Weight: 225
                          Weight at start of Primal: 189
                          Current Weight: 174
                          Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Not sure about the amino acid question, but I wanted to tell you of my mom's experience: she found out she had a sensitivity to nightshades (eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers), and when she cut them out of her diet, her frequent cold sores stopped. Once she succumbed to the temptation of ratatouille and they came on all of a sudden. Sad to cut out those foods, but I guess nightshade sensitivity isn't terribly uncommon, and some people have worse side effects. Good luck...

Comment

Lysine doesn't work for me, I take prescription meds. Gele Royale might conceivably work. Or toothpaste, I hear.

Sally Hansen lipstuff reliably gives me cold sores.

Comment

Working...
                              X