• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people just don't get it

So, I was browsing Reddit earlier today and came across this article:

Paleo/Primal Opinion - Boise Fitness Factory

This part actually made me LOL in its infinite ridiculousness:

"First of all, our bodies attack bacon (i.e. one of the main “animal fats” paleo/primal enthusiasts endorse) as a virus. That’s right…our bodies attack pork as a virus because of how crappy of a food source it is (ever seen what pigs eat? they are what they eat…so are we…). How is a natural immune response/immune system attack from our bodies ever validated/justified?"

This is the apocalypse; the deities are calling down a plague of bad science to tear us apart, to destroy us. I'm over here, building my paleo bunker.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Comment

"First of all, our bodies attack bacon (i.e. one of the main “animal fats” paleo/primal enthusiasts endorse) as a virus. That’s right…our bodies attack pork as a virus because of how crappy of a food source it is (ever seen what pigs eat? they are what they eat…so are we…). How is a natural immune response/immune system attack from our bodies ever validated/justified?"[citation needed]
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

More bacon for me.

Comment

Yeah, and organic plants are grown with a lot of rotten manure. The point you are trying to make...?
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

This is one of the dumbest, most misinformed things I've ever read. I was about to start commenting, then realized I had 10000 better things to do.

Comment

I choose not to respond to people who don't know how to left-justify their blog posts.
              ----------
              Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

Comment

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi ~

Comment

Meh...I was ok w/ the first 1/2. So they add some rice and a little whole wheat but basically seem to be saying they agree w/ many Paleo principles. It's the second 1/2 where they kind of went off the rails and sounded a bit "cult'y" to me so I stopped reading. I haven't seen anyone around here dishing on drinking a little alcohol or having a piece of b-day cake every now and then. Paleo allows for the 80/20 method if you so choose so if you want some legumes and bread part of the week go for it. I'd say things are kept pretty real in this lifestyle despite their little hysteria to the contrary. The mere act of cutting out processed foods is probably the single biggest health benefit of going primal...something they agreed with right at the start of the post.

Comment

Also it's just a false premise. While my husband and son have bacon 1-2x week, I'm more likely to have it about 1-2x a month. And, while we do keep the fat to use if need be, we don't really hvae that much and we dont' use it that much. And, I'm looking at going pork-free myself, just because I feel like it.

It's not like pork is required for paleo or primal. :P

Comment

The WAPF done funded a study showing some types of unmarinated/uncured pork can result in adverse blood coagulation.
                      How Does Pork Prepared in Various Ways Affect the Blood? - Weston A Price Foundation

The Perfect health diet are not too keen on pork for various reasons too.
                      Pork: Did Leviticus 11:7 Have It Right? | Perfect Health Diet

Comment

My OH pretty much refues to eat pig products as she says it tastes un-clean, it's not something she can put her finger on more than that, she is sometimes ok with outdoor reared stuff, and normally OK with pastured super clean pork (my parents know some-one who raises pigs in a field on a natural diet and they are so tasty, she'll always eat that but it's a rare treat)

Pig is probably the worst thing I eat for the diet the animal gets, chickens eat a diet that is OK for chickens, ie they can digest corn, cows in the uk get mainly grass and silage, some suplimental feed for milkers and in winter is given, sheep get mainly grass with some suplimental feed in winter if needed. Pigs get all sorts of soy based shit all the time. God I love pig though.
                        You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                          The WAPF done funded a study showing some types of unmarinated/uncured pork can result in adverse blood coagulation.
                          How Does Pork Prepared in Various Ways Affect the Blood? - Weston A Price Foundation

The Perfect health diet are not too keen on pork for various reasons too.
                          Pork: Did Leviticus 11:7 Have It Right? | Perfect Health Diet
                          Both the WAPF and the follow-up posts to that one on PHD state that preparation methods are important when it comes to the health impacts of pork and that proper preparation will reduce or eliminate most risks.

As for soy and pork, yes, a lot of pigs get fed soy. Even pastured animals are often fed soy as a supplementary feed. I buy my pork from a farmer who does not use soy feeds for any of her animals, and I'd love to see an analysis of the O6 ratio for her animals as compared to soy-fed pigs. I know the quality of the meat is exceptional as compared to what I might get at the grocery store or even many farmers market vendors.

Tribal Rob, are chickens fed soy in the UK? They're commonly fed soy here because the increased protein in the feed accelerates growth. My friend's soy-free chickens are also very different birds from a conventional chicken.

Mmmmmm...tasty pigs.
                          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                          X