• Death from red meat; another study

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/he...me&ref=general

?????

They say bacon is even worse.

Originally posted by Shalimar View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/he...me&ref=general

?????

They say bacon is even worse.
    No replies. I think that everyone is dead. I am not fully primal, so I am still here - worrying.
    In other words, this was already discussed.

Comment

Maybe this will keep people from eating red meat and bacon. More for me then!!
      “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

These are the worst, the only way they'd have any credibility at all is if the people ate nothing but read meat or nothing but animals.

The reality is if they did that they'd be pretty healthy. These findings don't consider that the mortality could be linked to anything other than red meat (sugar, grains, horribly fats, etc)
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Yeah, it was discussed. It was published in March so its been done to death. As in debunked.

Comment

Red meats in combination with a CW diet full of wheat and corn will kill you. It's the combination of a poor lifestyle and food choices that kills.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

This is all correlation BS. Red meat has been demonized for 40 years in this country. Most people think red meat is unhealthy (even though it's the healthiest). Therefore, people that eat the most red meat tend to care the least about their health. People that eat the most read meat:

1.) Smoke more.
              2.) Exercise less.
              3.) Eat more takeout and less fresh fruits and vegetables.
              4.) Are more likely to be overweight.

I submit that THESE are the reasons why these people die earlier deaths. The red meat is the only thing keeping them alive (sorta like Paula Deen and butter).
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                This is all correlation BS. Red meat has been demonized for 40 years in this country. Most people think red meat is unhealthy (even though it's the healthiest). Therefore, people that eat the most red meat tend to care the least about their health. People that eat the most read meat:

1.) Smoke more.
                2.) Exercise less.

I submit that THESE are the reasons why these people die earlier deaths. The red meat is the only thing keeping them alive (sorta like Paula Deen and butter).
                The only thing saving Paula Dean is a protective spell placed over her by Oprah Winfrey, which refreshes every time Oprah loses fifteen pounds and then gains it back the next month.
                this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Comment

Originally posted by bdilla View Post
                  The only thing saving Paula Dean is a protective spell placed over her by Oprah Winfrey, which refreshes every time Oprah loses fifteen pounds and then gains it back the next month.
                  Correction, O gains back 25 for every 15 she loses. Her ass looks like a dump truck while she admonishes all of on how we should eat, think and live. What a joke!

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                    Correction, O gains back 25 for every 15 she loses. Her ass looks like a dump truck while she admonishes all of on how we should eat, think and live. What a joke!
                    We worship many false idols in this media culture. Oh how I would change the world if I had the power...
                    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Comment

Originally posted by bdilla View Post
                      We worship many false idols in this media culture.
                      I was supposed to say this. She is probably one of the reasons I don't have TV. Watching the same show "Now I am fat, now I thin" for decades isn't fun.

Comment

So these conclusions were based on questionnaires??? Completely unreliable method of scientific study if you ask me...people guestimating what they ate and in what portions. And then to claim eating 1/2 as much would increase health. Based on what? Another guess? I didn't see the original article but none of this reads as very scientific to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

1.) Smoke more.
                          2.) Exercise less.

They do account for these variables in some studies and they still come up with about a 15% risk, which isn't overly significant. It could probably be explained by the carcinogens from the way people bbq their meat or the iron factor. Check your serum ferritin, donate some blood and don't overly cook you're meat and you should be fine.
                          Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 11-20-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                            They do account for these variables in some studies and they still come up with about a 15% risk, which isn't overly significant. It could probably be explained by the carcinogens from the way people bbq their meat or the iron factor.
                            They try to account for these variables. There is no way of knowing how valid their guestimations are. I'm not all that confident in their ability to come up with valid adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                              They do account for these variables in some studies and they still come up with about a 15% risk, which isn't overly significant. It could probably be explained by the carcinogens from the way people bbq their meat or the iron factor. Check your serum ferritin, donate some blood and don't overly cook you're meat and you should be fine.
                              Call me a skeptic, but I don't consider any numerical calculations remotely accurate in fatally flawed studies centered solely around correlation with no causative evidence.

I should also note I sear the ever living hell out of my steak. I cook the outside on a cast iron skillet I've heated in the oven at 500 degrees F. For a grand total of 4 minutes - 1 minute top side, 1 minute bottom side, toss it in for 4 minutes. My outsides are charred, the insides still have a hint of purple and are probably less than rare. That's how I like it. There's something about cooking a ribeye, filet mignon or New York strip at a low temperature that just hurts me inside.
                              Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-20-2012, 05:50 PM.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                              X