Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much fruit is good for you?

Hey everyone,

Before modern civilisation came it was impossible for humans to eat fruit year round. I bet there wasn't any fruit around by the time winter came. So exactly how important is fruit deemed to be in a primal diet? Can you eat too much fruit? (is, say, 4 pieces of fruit too much sugar intake?)

Thanks!

Arguably, you don't need any fruit. Your intake should be dependent upon your goals, if you are trying to keep your carbs down, eat less fruit, for instance. You can get your vitamins and minerals and antioxidants from meats and vegetables just as well.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

It's true. Have some spinach/kale/dandelion, some oysters, some liver and a few eggs, nuts and berries and a sweet potato (or not!) with a little bacon/heart/fish/beef/fowl and that hits most of your micronutrient ratios for the day.

I, for one, just tried adding fruit back to my eating and got bloated, gassy, and *runny*. Not worth it, for me.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I tend to have just one fruit per day (or a handful of berries) usually in the morning with yogurt.

If nothing else it's peace of mind

AC

Comment

So, if I understand correctly: fruit is not needed, but it certainly does have a lot vitamins / anti-oxidants that vegetables also have. So it can substitute part of your vegetable intake?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenGranted View Post
            So, if I understand correctly: fruit is not needed, but it certainly does have a lot vitamins / anti-oxidants that vegetables also have. So it can substitute part of your vegetable intake?
            It's not necessary, but it is Primal. 4 pieces a day is about a 120g carb load (give or take). For an average sized human with a healthy metabolism that should not present any problems. For someone with liver disease or metabolic syndrome....may not be optimal.

Comment

I like fruit and I don't see anything wrong with eating it. It adds variety and I mostly eat what's in season. Berries in spring and summer, peaches in summer, apples and pears in fall and winter. Occasional oranges and clementines in fall and early winter. I generally only eat one serving/piece a day, but not everyday. The only fruit I eat year round is bananas when I have a hankering.

Comment

Today I ate an orange, 2 avocados, 3 apples (threw those with some meat on the pen) and a pomegranate (spat the seeds which don't agree with my belly). no adverse effects so far. Ate them with lots of meat to slow the digestion so I won't have a sugar rush.
                So far so good.
                I do notice acne if I eat more than one banana or binge on potatoes, I wonder if that means I don't react well to starch overload.
                Last edited by Gilleh; 11-18-2012, 08:53 AM.
                Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

If humans did, in fact, originate from the tropics (where vegetation, including fruit, is available year-round), then this argument does not hold ground. It's a matter of gauging your body's response to fruit. Personally, I can eat 10+ servings of fruit a day and feel fine. If you become bloated and gassy as Knifegill did, you might want to limit it.

Comment

Originally posted by tarek View Post
                    I can eat 10+ servings of fruit a day and feel fine. If you become bloated and gassy as Knifegill did, you might want to limit it.
                    Do you eat a lot of smoothies? Or are some of your entire meals simply made of only fruit?

Comment

I don't eat ten servings EVERY day, haha! I do that maybe once or twice a week.

I usually do smoothies post-workout, though -- coconut milk, two bananas, two cups of frozen fruit, and fresh-squeezed orange juice. Later, I'll have some more frozen fruit with coconut milk, maybe a few dates or some dried cherries. This is usually on top of a big dinner of meat and rice.

I've been working on gaining weight for a while now, however, so this exact protocol might not be the best idea for everyone.

Comment

Oh, I see. I was leaning toward the whole safe starch thing (rather than eating fruit) for a while. Then I was looking through this ladies web site Vegetables Diagnosis: Diet which makes a pretty sound argument for primarily meat and fruit. Of course we know tubers were eaten. Just some interesting angles to study.

Comment

I feel like if you don't eat fruit, you run the risk of getting bored with your diet and that makes it easier to cheat and eat crappy foods. I find I eat 2-3 pieces a day, but eat fewer starches lately (sweet potato). A banana after dinner keeps me from eating crap. I have recently started getting into the "paleo desserts", and it just seems smarted to have the banana versus a piece of cake made out of coconut flour.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

As much as you want. Fruit comes from the earth. Enjoy it at will.

Comment

It depends on how carb sensitive you are. I can't eat fruit because my body processes it like any other sugar--and I'm ravenous. To use "magnolia's" example, if I had a banana after dinner, I would not only go on to that coconut flour cake, but would want ice cream as well.

My point is that the original question depends upon each individual's ability to deal with fruit. I love fruit--but I also know that it just isn't good for me with my particular metabolic dysfunction.

Comment

Working...
                              X