I fasted for 4 days!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
    Ok, I understand IF'ng but if you go for a long time and I have no idea what that would even mean, as far as days, do you not run the risk of slowing your metablisim? I know a lot of people, Mark Sisson, Tim Ferris (4 hour body) recommend fasting, but I don't think for extended periods.

The question I guess is...what is an extended period?
    I guess there isn't a clear fine line to describe the difference.

And the answer to your other question is yes, it does slow down your metabolism after a few days, but it isn't permanent. It returns back to normal once you eat again. The thing I noticed is that I felt more energetic after the fast than I did before. Late in the fast though I felt very low in energy. I think the end result was worth it though because overall I am lighter and I feel a lot better.

The fear of the metabolism slowing down comes from mainstream marketing dogma. And it has even trickled its way into fasting literature. As an example, why do you think Martin Berkhan recommends an 8 hour eating window and not smaller? It's because he still thinks that going longer will result in the muscles melting off, even though there is no scientific evidence to support it!

Comment

I will never find the posts, but buried in that fasting thread posted earlier, are some good articles that suggest 10 days I think? 3 days to get into ketosis and then another 7 days so I was thinking if you were already in ketosis you could speed that up and do it in 7. This is in regards to housekeeping.

For weight loss, I was thinking the optimum is 3 days? But I can't be sure.

PHlopp has some outstanding fasting threads. Betorq is another one to search for his posts. He supplied the info in the other thread.
      Last edited by gopintos; 11-17-2012, 05:42 PM.
      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

ez2cy,

I think the only reason why nobody noticeable recommends fasting any longer than a day or so is because it simply wouldn't sell. Everyone hears the word "fasting" and along comes fears of muscle loss, malnutrition, a slower metabolism (even resulting in weight gain), and even starvation. They would be wrote off as a quack in a heart beat!!!

But I honestly believe that what should be recommended all comes down to context, goals, and individual strategy. Fasting for any longer than a day is probably not a good idea for people of extreme leanness. And it probably isn't a good idea for older folks who don't have the hormones to easily maintain and rebuild muscle.

But for anyone with the hormones to maintain and rebuild muscle and the extra fat to shed, its definitely a viable option to try from time to time to help along the way. It definitely isn't necessary, but it is an option.

As a side note:
        Timothy Ferris has a chapter in one of his books that is meant to teach you how to become a leading expert on any topic in a month.
        Cough cough translation: don't believe everything you read or hear, even if its popular or from a "guru". Um, I mean some people are full of sh..t!!

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
          I will never find the posts, but buried in that fasting thread posted earlier, are some good articles that suggest 10 days I think? 3 days to get into ketosis and then another 7 days so I was thinking if you were already in ketosis you could spend that up and do it in 7. This is in regards to housekeeping.

For weight loss, I was thinking the optimum is 3 days? But I can't be sure.

PHlopp has some outstanding fasting threads. Betorq is another one to search for his posts. He supplied the info in the other thread.
          What do you mean by housekeeping?

As for the 3 day thing, I guess that would also be dependent on how much you have to lose and how quick you want to lose it. Because if you do the math, you really aren't going to lose much on a 3 day fast. For me for example, knowing rough figures of my BMR, my prediction is that I probably was only able to lose about 2 lbs of fat from that 4 day fast that I did, which is one of the reasons why I regret not stretching it out another 2 days.

On the other hand, my bet is that you could see some great results if you treated it as an intermittent thing. As an example, if you regularly ate at maintenance and you fasted every weekend for a month, that would add up to a good several lbs of fat lost. That's a lot!

On the other hand and thinking about it from a social standpoint, I typically don't ever want to go a day without eating. And that's why in my case I'd prefer to save a multi day fast for a time when I'm sick or what ever and I have a good handful of days away from other people who would normally tempt me.

Other than that, I could definitely see such as ideal for an emergency case for someone who really needs to lose the fat for health reasons. As an example, I remember one guy from work who's but was as wide as a stove. He had a wake up call one day when his blood pressure went sky high and he had to be taken away in an ambulance. A few months later I saw him and he looked like a new man. I think he was doing weekend fasts along with some serious dieting, and he lost a lot of weight!!! And in that case I believe that was the right thing to do!!!

Comment

By "housekeeping" she is referring to autophagy. Do a google on that. Fasting is not only about weight loss.

Comment

Ok looked up "autophagy" and I"m not a doctor to understand what the hell they are saying. LOL Tried several sites.
              55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
              Chest; 41.5
              Waist; 42
              Hips; 40
              Thigh; 22.5
              Calf; 15
              Bicep: 13
              Forearm; 11.5
              Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
              Chest; 42
              Waist; 42.5
              Hips; 39
              Thigh; 23
              Calf; 15
              Forearm; 11.5
              Neck; 16

Comment

From Wikipedia:

Autophagy (or autophagocytosis) is the basic catabolic mechanism that involves cell degradation of unnecessary or dysfunctional cellular components through the lysosomal machinery[1] (from the Greek words, auto "self" and phagein "to eat"). The breakdown of cellular components can ensure cellular survival during starvation by maintaining cellular energy levels.[1] Autophagy, if regulated, ensures the synthesis, degradation and recycling of cellular components.[1] During this process, targeted cytoplasmic constituents are isolated from the rest of the cell within the autophagosomes, which are then fused with lysosomes and degraded or recycled.[2] There are three different forms of autophagy that are commonly described, which include macroautophagy, microautophagy and chaperon-mediated autophagy.[3] In the context of disease, autophagy has been seen as an adaptive response to survival, whereas in other cases it appears to promote cell death and morbidity.[2]
                Kind of like cleaning house.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Yal as simple as my brain works, I understand it like this: in the absence of food/nutrients, the body will go looking for things to munch on, like cysts, tumors, damaged cells, etc. It will do a little internal housekeeping.

Comment

I saw that there was a fasting challenge a while back. I think I would be more interested in a PSMF challenge type of deal. I think fasting longer than a day or two may start to cause problems, especially in terms of using lean tissue. So a Protein-Sparing Modified Fast might be an interesting experiment that at least I might try some day.

Comment

Originally posted by SJW2 View Post
                      I think I would be more interested in a PSMF challenge type of deal.
                      Not sure if this is what you are looking for

Food for a Fast | Perfect Health Diet

Comment

Ok looked up "autophagy" and I"m not a doctor to understand what the hell they are saying. LOL Tried several sites.
                        55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                        Chest; 41.5
                        Waist; 42
                        Hips; 40
                        Thigh; 22.5
                        Calf; 15
                        Forearm; 11.5
                        Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                        Chest; 42
                        Waist; 42.5
                        Hips; 39
                        Thigh; 23
                        Calf; 15
                        Forearm; 11.5
                        Neck; 16

Comment

I saw that there was a fasting challenge a while back. I think I would be more interested in a PSMF challenge type of deal. I think fasting longer than a day or two may start to cause problems, especially in terms of using lean tissue. So a Protein-Sparing Modified Fast might be an interesting experiment that at least I might try some day.
                          Once you get past the sugar burning phase of a fast (which many Primal eaters won't have anyway), fasting is inherently protein/muscle sparing.

The reason is because your body will dip into its energy abundant fat stores first. Your body KNOWS what it needs and it needs energy. And again, it KNOWS that your fat is a much more efficient source of energy than your muscles. Unless you are extremely lean, then you will not be likely to enter into muscle catabolism because your body will prefer to use your fat stores first. On the other hand, if you are extremely lean, then maybe you should not fast much longer than 24-hours. But even the best of us aren't likely to be at that point where they have to worry for at least a few days. And most of us, could still afford to go longer.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                            Once you get past the sugar burning phase of a fast (which many Primal eaters won't have anyway), fasting is inherently protein/muscle sparing.

The reason is because your body will dip into its energy abundant fat stores first. Your body KNOWS what it needs and it needs energy. And again, it KNOWS that your fat is a much more efficient source of energy than your muscles. Unless you are extremely lean, then you will not be likely to enter into muscle catabolism because your body will prefer to use your fat stores first. On the other hand, if you are extremely lean, then maybe you should not fast much longer than 24-hours. But even the best of us aren't likely to be at that point where they have to worry for at least a few days. And most of us, could still afford to go longer.
                            Actually yeah, you are probably right. The key variable is becoming keto-adapted I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              By "housekeeping" she is referring to autophagy. Do a google on that. Fasting is not only about weight loss.

Here is a good read from J.D. Moyer, he explains it in an easy manner.

You might want to poke around at Martin Berkhan's site...he writes quite a bit on IF
                              Last edited by Moochy; 11-18-2012, 08:55 PM.
                              Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
                              READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

PSMF is great for quick fat loss, if needed. But it can't work for housekeeping because the idea is to use up a small bit of protein. I really mean small! For example, what you would lose on a 10 day fast if done only one a year or less would be negligible compared to what you'd gain from lifting most weeks of the year. We're talking probably only 1/2 lb loss on a 10 day fast. To drop several lbs of fat and improve health? It'd be worth it!

Comment

Working...
                                X