No announcement yet.

Advice for a binge eater?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some threads on here already about this - if you haven't already searched for them I would

Here is my brief summary...

IMHO there are 2 reasons for bingeing: (1)physiological - hunger, protein, leptin, etc - so all the suggestions to "eat more protein", "reset your leptin", etc will work. Just experiment until you find which one works for you. (2) addition. It is like being an alcoholic or drug addict. You don't need more protein or to reset your leptin. You have to deal with your addiction. I have struggled with this for years. And for years clung to trying to fix myself physiologically - protein, leptin, ketosis, etc. The only thing that has even begun to move me in the right direction are the following two books:

Brain Over Binge (Kathryn Hansen)
    Home

Rational Recovery (Jack Trimpey)
    https://rational.org/index.php?id=1

If you do look back for old threads you will see a rather nasty attack on a poster who first suggested the methods of rational recovery... it turns out he was right. If you feel like the addiction reason might be true for you, I would start with Brain Over Binge - it is about food addiction (as opposed to RR, which is about drug/alcohol) - so to read a story of someone overcoming it is very inspiring.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      Maybe your body is trying to reload on fat. I am also given to binges, like eating an entire hot-n-ready little caesar's pizza to myself or eating just too much at once of anything. My strategy? I eat one massive meal a day, mostly protein and fat. That way I get to feel full but don't exceed my caloric intake for the day. Yeah, I'm talking a 3000 calorie "meal" over the course of cooking it, about an hour and a half. First a pound of meat, then my cup of coconut milk in my coffee, and then eggs, avocados, whatever veggies I feel like tossing in the pan. and usually polish it off with some dark chocolate and a green apple. Full? Oh, yeah. Balanced and healthy? I think so.
      Yes, I do like this idea, as it satisfies the desire to binge but still is balanced nutrition. I do a variation myself sometimes!

Comment

Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
        There are some threads on here already about this - if you haven't already searched for them I would

Here is my brief summary...

IMHO there are 2 reasons for bingeing: (1)physiological - hunger, protein, leptin, etc - so all the suggestions to "eat more protein", "reset your leptin", etc will work. Just experiment until you find which one works for you. (2) addition. It is like being an alcoholic or drug addict. You don't need more protein or to reset your leptin. You have to deal with your addiction. I have struggled with this for years. And for years clung to trying to fix myself physiologically - protein, leptin, ketosis, etc. The only thing that has even begun to move me in the right direction are the following two books:

Brain Over Binge (Kathryn Hansen)
        Home

Rational Recovery (Jack Trimpey)
        https://rational.org/index.php?id=1

If you do look back for old threads you will see a rather nasty attack on a poster who first suggested the methods of rational recovery... it turns out he was right. If you feel like the addiction reason might be true for you, I would start with Brain Over Binge - it is about food addiction (as opposed to RR, which is about drug/alcohol) - so to read a story of someone overcoming it is very inspiring.

Good luck.

Thank you for the information!
        I will go back and do a more thorough search here. I've also gotten the Hansen book- looks right up my alley.
        I do suspect it's more of the latter, an addiction, just because it's stuck with me through a wide variety of eating strategies and bodyweights. There is obviously a physical component (I learned very early on the rule that severe restriction leads to binging, for instance) and getting those things right helps but it still seems as if there is more to it.

Comment

I just read, no, DEVOURED that book, Brain Over Binge.
          I think it may have changed my life. Not positive yet, but possible, so in advance, many thanks for the rec!

Comment

I have a very long history as a binge eater, though it wasn't constant (much like you mentioned); I could go weeks and months without binging, until out of the blue it would just pop up. For me, it was 100% psychological. It had nothing to do with blood sugar or macros or anything dietary, so I could be eating the most amazing diet, and an unwinnable need to binge could still spring out of nowhere at any moment.

At one point I tried alternate day eating and fasting, so that I could binge guilt-free every other day (with a day of fasting as penance), but that didn't fix the real problem, nor did the eat one meal per day strategy; in fact, not only did it not solve the actual (psychological) problem, but it also trigger some really nasty IBS flares, and as a result, I have to eat smaller meals.

It took me a really, really long time to conquer it, and there were years where I was convinced I never would. I realized that for me, those times of binges were a way of dealing with some kind of emotional turmoil (depression, anxiety, etc...) that I often didn't realize I was even feeling until afterwards I started thinking, 'where did that come from?'

I've used hypnotherapy many years ago (to get over a phobia of needles). Even though I didn't use it to stop my binge-eating, I think it's a very good suggestion. I suggest that if you do go that route, to find a clinician who is well trained and experienced, because it can take a long time (several sessions) to properly learn the breathing and visualization techniques. If you try to do it on your own in the beginning, it's very likely that it won't be successful. Once you've mastered it, then it's pretty easy to do by yourself at home.

I've posted pretty extensively about the strategies I've used to reprogram my brain and stop the binges on this thread:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread59619-2.html
            Last edited by BestBetter; 11-17-2012, 05:33 PM.

Comment

It would be helpful if you could post your daily meals so we could get a better idea of what you're eating.

Are you eating in the lower carb ranges? When I get cravings for fruit and sugar it's usually because I have been eating enough starchy carbs. Eating sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, white rice, etc., regularly has killed craving to go crazy on sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by mottainai View Post
                Ellie_Miller- Thank you for sharing your story as well. You're right, of course, it is all up to me! It's just actually wanting to make that decision that's the hard part. When it's messing with my life, I want to quit it, but when it's not, well, it's easy to just fall into the trap of thinking I can just keep on doing it without overmuch consequence. Thanks for all your suggestions!
                I had a tough time with that too but you can do it! : )

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                  so I could be eating the most amazing diet, and an unwinnable need to binge could still spring out of nowhere at any moment.
                  I can totally relate to this. I suggested 5-HTP in my earlier post on this thread but at one point, it didn't do anything for me. I was taking about 300mg a day for a couple weeks and I was STILL binging. It can be so crazy sometimes....

Comment

Try the potato diet! Can't binge eat on that sucker....

Also, I'm not even kidding. I used to be a binge eater.

also, inb4 I get flamed to smithereens

Comment

I'm not going to mock you on that. I hate potatoes myself, and I'd starve to death on the ppd because I'd just stop eating after a few bites.
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I really feel for you guys dealing with this. I can't imagine binge eating --- never experienced it. Sounds to me like it's a real tough one to manage. Good on all of you for doing the best you can in taking control of your health here on the the PB. You guys have my admiration and respect. Keep moving forward.
                        ----------------------------------------
                        F, 48, 5'10"
                        Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                        Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

I really feel for you guys dealing with this. I can't imagine binge eating --- never experienced it. Sounds to me like it's a real tough one to manage. Good on all of you for doing the best you can in taking control of your health here on the the PB. You guys have my admiration and respect. Keep moving forward.
                          Nothing to feel sorry for! I like being able to consume massive quantities. Saves me time. As long as it's real food and it isn't harming me, why is binging bad? Feels great. No reason to stop.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I have a problem with bingeing as well. It's always at night and usually on cookies. It's the same for me as far as I don't have any cravings during the day (except my morning coffee), but then after dinner/evening....everything hits the fan. I recently read the Diet Cure and bought some of the supplements she suggests. Today is the day that I'm starting. She suggests taking L-Glutamine for cravings. That seems to work. However I notice that as the evening comes on, I don't even want to be good--it's always , I'll start tomorrow. And then I wake up the next morning feeling awful, hating myself. Anyway, her book is worth reading and I've heard that many people have found success.

Comment

I binged on Source yougurts when I was in that weight range. In my case I did not have enough protein and fat in my diet. Unfortunately, while you are younger than i am, this weight range is also very hard to sustain, and the body fights hard to make you fatter. hence, binges. In a way, it is not a disease that you are experiencing, it is the healthy reaction of the ancient brain that thinks you are too thin to carry and give birth to a health fat baby in the middle of an Arctic desert during the famine....

Just like Ellie-M, I found 5HTP to be helpful, but not curing, and that IF is triggering bingeing for me - or at least I can't stop eating.
                              Last edited by Leida; 11-19-2012, 07:37 AM.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by mottainai View Post
                                I'd never think to eat it if it were just sitting around....
                                So, what if you kept it in the house and it stopped being this big forbidden thing? It's the only way I can deal with chocolate - have it in the house and know that I'm allowed to have it if I really want it. It means I can eat a couple of squares a day and be satisfied. If I didn't keep chocolate in the house, I'd get a craving then when I tried to stop myself from eating it would get more and more obsessed until I had to go out, buy a huge bar and would end up eating the lot.

I used to binge and it was a purely psychological thing for me, I'm sure. I'm in the UK and took part in an online 'weightloss' programme (not a diet, but something that looked at changing habits) which did a huge amount to change the way I feel about food and myself. It took a long time, but eventually I decriminalised food - stopped thinking about it as 'good' and 'bad' and instead started to think about how different foods made me feel after I'd eaten them. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I wanted to eat healthy food because it made me feel good. Bingeing made me feel good for seconds, but then comes the hours and days of feeling like cr*p, the guilt, the feeling fat, ugly and unlovable. Over time the urge left - for which I am eternally grateful and I honestly can't remember the last time I had a fully blown binge.

Going fully primal/paleo is a great starting point. I do sometimes think about having 'cheat days' but when it comes down to it, I feel so good on primal, and know that eating rubbish will make me feel rubbish, that I just can't bring myself to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X