Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Normal?--Going carb crazy even with a little bit of carbs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not against views different than my own, man.
    Not at all, I find it pretty interesting and I don't have the absolute truth, I'm still tweaking the way I eat and such stuff.
    However, sugar is addictive. It's a fact. It's not because biologically your body feels "satisfied" and drives you to eat more than it's healthy for you body.
    Think about alcohol.
    Think about nicotine.

And no, to me, junk food isn't anything with sugar in it. Sugar isn't magically metabolized in an evil way in your body it just depends on the source of it and the amount of it.

Sugar and carbs don't calm me. They give me acid reflux, they make me unable to sleep, they give me migraines and they change my hormonal balance for the worse, for the major part of them.

Seriously, someone who just LOVE the taste of McDonald's should eat McDonald's everyday because if they love McDonald's food it's because the body likes it and stuff ? Give me a break. Don't talk to me about denial and guilt.
    There's nothing about food in these behaviors.

If you eat a well thought diet, with satisfying meals, that you're in good health and that your hormones are correct, you'll never want to binge eat.
    Or you have something, like a big void in your life, to fill, and it has nothing to do with food.

There are reasons why very prominent doctors who study longevity, hormones therapies, anti-aging, diseases prevention advice people to eat less carbs.
    I'm sorry if it frustrates you.

I don't have anything against views different than mine.
    But I have something against your stupid views without any logical explanation where you tell people you drink 30 fucking cups of coffee and that you don't think it's dangerous for your body.
    And I really wonder what the hell you're doing on that forum.

Do you see yourself as a kind of messiah or something ? You think you'll save people from the horrors of paleo eating because you have the truth and that carbs are wonderful and shit ?
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

I think there are "carbs" - and then there are addictive foods.

Carbs like sweet potato, bananas, fruits can easily be a cornerstone of a healthy diet. I think they are necessary for long term health and overall happiness and ability to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle. Yes.... I know there are the Inuit. Probably given the option to eat some healthy carbs they'd be excited.

Then there are addictive foods. Sugar and wheat. They are also high carb. But sugar is like crack. When I quit processed sugar, it was not fun- it was like detoxing even though I was eating fruit. IMO, an apple is a different food than a cupcake, even though they both have sugar.

The best way I have found is to allow myself plenty of good carbs. Then when I splurge make it a "one and done" type deal. A single serve ice cream. A piece of cake at a party. Then I go home to a house with nothing with sugar and flour in it. I also try and lower carbs for a day or two and focus on meat and veggies.

FWIW, the more good carbs I eat, the fewer bad carbs I want.The more I restrict good carbs, the more I want bad one.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post
        I'm not against views different than my own, man.
        Not at all, I find it pretty interesting and I don't have the absolute truth, I'm still tweaking the way I eat and such stuff.
        However, sugar is addictive. It's a fact. It's not because biologically your body feels "satisfied" and drives you to eat more than it's healthy for you body.
        Think about alcohol.
        Think about nicotine.
        Sugar is addictive because it's, gasp, good for you! Sugar effects the dopaminergic system. Thus, explaining the "addictive" qualities. You can become addicted to anything. I eat as much sugar as I want, and consequently do not crave or overeat anything with sugar in it.

Sugar and carbs don't calm me. They give me acid reflux, they make me unable to sleep, they give me migraines and they change my hormonal balance for the worse, for the major part of them.
        Then you definitely have other issues going on. Carbohydrates are just an organic compound, and you don't think it's unnatural that your body reacts to it in such a poor way whereas mine doesn't?

Seriously, someone who just LOVE the taste of McDonald's should eat McDonald's everyday because if they love McDonald's food it's because the body likes it and stuff ? Give me a break. Don't talk to me about denial and guilt.
        There's nothing about food in these behaviors.
        Eventually they will get sick of eating mcdonalds. If they really crave mcdonalds that much, then, denying it is just going to make them eventually binge on it. Has nothing to do with whether or not it's good for you. It's just the way binge eating goes. However, no one who has had good food will really like the taste of mcdonalds. And, no, it's obvious that kind of crap is not good for you. Even people who eat it know that. I think the language barriers must be interfering with your ability to accurately take away the point I'm making. Or, you're just trying to spin in it a way that supports your close-minded opinion.

If you eat a well thought diet, with satisfying meals, that you're in good health and that your hormones are correct, you'll never want to binge eat.
        Exactly my point. And a well thought out diet doesn't include excluding an entire group of food. Nor does that put you on the path to hormonal health.

There are reasons why very prominent doctors who study longevity, hormones therapies, anti-aging, diseases prevention advice people to eat less carbs.
        I'm sorry if it frustrates you.
        Yet, in no studies is there actually conclusive evidence to support their idiotic irresponsible claims. And prominent doctors? lol

I don't have anything against views different than mine.
        But I have something against your stupid views without any logical explanation where you tell people you drink 30 fucking cups of coffee and that you don't think it's dangerous for your body.
        And I really wonder what the hell you're doing on that forum.
        I've been very logical, actually. I can pull tons of citations to back my claims, if you'd like. The information is all out there. What does my coffee drinking have to do with anything? Want to know what my coffee drinking does? It jacks up my metabolic state, keeps my body temperature hovering around 98.7 constantly, and acts as a very powerful anti-oxidant. Is 30 cups likely excessive? Sure. Will I always drink this much coffee? Probably not. But if I want a cup of coffee, I'm going to drink one. Does it bother you that much? I've noticed it's been brought up in irrelevant topics several times now to be used against me. Maybe if your stress levels weren't so high from denying yourself carbs, you wouldn't get just so damn wound up that someone else has different eating habits than you.

I can bring up irrelevant things too, and say that if that's you in your avatar your terrible facial hair really bothers me. Quite possibly more than my terrible coffee and carb habits bother you. In fact, I would go so far as to say that, like my ketosis state can be linked to my coffee drinking, your facial hair is likely directly related to carbs giving you acid reflux. Hell, it's giving me acid reflux just staring at it right now.

Do you see yourself as a kind of messiah or something ? You think you'll save people from the horrors of paleo eating because you have the truth and that carbs are wonderful and shit ?
        lol you're so angry! paleo eating =/= very low carb iirc, but you do have the caveman behavior down.
        Last edited by Derpamix; 11-17-2012, 10:13 AM.
        Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
          Sugar is addictive because it's, gasp, good for you! Sugar effects the dopaminergic system. Thus, explaining the "addictive" qualities. You can become addicted to anything. I eat as much sugar as I want, and consequently do not crave or overeat anything with sugar in it.

Then you definitely have other issues going on. Carbohydrates are just an organic compound, and you don't think it's unnatural that your body reacts to it in such a poor way whereas mine doesn't?

Eventually they will get sick of eating mcdonalds. If they really crave mcdonalds that much, then, denying it is just going to make them eventually binge on it. Has nothing to do with whether or not it's good for you. It's just the way binge eating goes. However, no one who has had good food will really like the taste of mcdonalds. And, no, it's obvious that kind of crap is not good for you. Even people who eat it know that. I think the language barriers must be interfering with your ability to accurately take away the point I'm making. Or, you're just trying to spin in it a way that supports your close-minded opinion.

Exactly my point. And a well thought out diet doesn't include excluding an entire group of food. Nor does that put you on the path to hormonal health.

Yet, in no studies is there actually conclusive evidence to support their idiotic irresponsible claims. And prominent doctors? lol

I've been very logical, actually. I can pull tons of citations to back my claims, if you'd like. The information is all out there. What does my coffee drinking have to do with anything? Want to know what my coffee drinking does? It jacks up my metabolic state, keeps my body temperature hovering around 98.7 constantly, and acts as a very powerful anti-oxidant. Is 30 cups likely excessive? Sure. Will I always drink this much coffee? Probably not. But if I want a cup of coffee, I'm going to drink one. Does it bother you that much? I've noticed it's been brought up in irrelevant topics several times now to be used against me. Maybe if your stress levels weren't so high from denying yourself carbs, you wouldn't get just so damn wound up that someone else has different eating habits than you.

I can bring up irrelevant things too, and say that if that's you in your avatar your terrible facial hair really bothers me. Quite possibly more than my terrible coffee and carb habits bother you. In fact, I would go so far as to say that, like my ketosis state can be linked to my coffee drinking, your facial hair is likely directly related to carbs giving you acid reflux. Hell, it's giving me acid reflux just staring at it right now.

lol you're so angry! paleo eating =/= very low carb iirc, but you do have the caveman behavior down.
          "Sugar is addictive because it's, gasp, good for you!"
          Hm, how ?
          Please tell me.
          "Sugar effects the dopaminergic system"
          Many things affect the dopaminergic system, it doesn't make them healthy though.
          I was talking about nicotine in my latest post, and nicotine is addictive because, it releases, "gaps", dopamine.
          "Lol"

For the middle of your post, I'm with you. Seriously. It's well argumented, well written and it's obvious you're not trolling.
          So thanks for that.
          "Exactly my point. And a well thought out diet doesn't include excluding an entire group of food. Nor does that put you on the path to hormonal health."
          Oh, and... I'm not a "deep ketosis" kind of guy at all. I'm certainly low carbs for your standards, but more like 100 g or 150 g, and I don't fear fruits or tubers at all. I feel and perform better at moderate carbs like this, I tried for like a month to be higher carbs, with still plenty of fats for hormonal synthesis, from white rice, tubers, and a bit of fruits, didn't feel sharp mentally and had acid reflux. But well, ok, I'll say that acid reflux is more related to my very very sensitive body (hypopituitarism, pubertal problems, vitiligo, probably food allergies that were never tested, insomnias from age 1 to 5... and so on). However, strangely, a more fat oriented diet doesn't give me that kind of pains and my digestion is much better...

"Yet, in no studies is there actually conclusive evidence to support their idiotic irresponsible claims. And prominent doctors? lol "
          There are, actually, many studies, that can back up many different claims. Your point could be backed with science as well as mine, unfortunately, it's a very complex thing, with many mechanisms and we don't have the knowledge to know how it all works, we have to choose for what seems the most plausible considering our own knowledge and understanding.
          And when I'm talking about prominent doctors, I'm not talking about Paleo gurus.
          Because of my health condition, I know quite a bit of stuff about hormonal functionning and I slowly discovered who I should follow in terms of health, and who I should have an appointment with. I know what I'm talking about when I say "prominent doctors".

For the coffee part, it's absolutely stupid and downright disrespectful and hurtful to compare my fucking physical appearance to this topic. The big difference between those two things, is that coffee is a part of the way you're feeding yourself, what you put in your mouth and the potential incidence it could have on your health. Not my facial hair. My facial hair has nothing to do in this conversation. People who start to attack other people on such stuff looses credibility.
          Oh and,
          "keeps my body temperature hovering around 98.7 constantly"
          I don't drink ANY coffee or caffeine containing beverage (nor caffeine containing food) and my body temperature is always around 98.7 and 99.5, more often closer to 99.5 than 98.7...

And for the last sentence...
          I'm not VLC
          And I'm not against carbs; it's just that ALL, really, ALL the posts you wrote on this forum is somewhat agressive, ironic, cynical, provoking and condescending.
          So here's the same question: What are you doing on that forum ?
          Last edited by Daydreamer; 11-17-2012, 11:03 AM.
          Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
          (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

All in all I'd say it's normal. I experience the same it when I down 1lb of Ben & Jerry's (post work-out carb reload I tell myself ). And then it triggers my mind to do other naughty stuff like buying supermarket pizza and lasagna (which I then don't); with me it resembles the nicotine monster. You have to ask yourself if bread and sugary stuff is really worth the 1 week torment of rehab.

It also depends on the person, because when I moderately eat the bad stuff I don't get the response mentioned. I think even when one has his/her blood sugar response/sensitivity in order it depends on the person whether eating junk triggers going carb crazy or going carb-energized.

Comment

I eat as much sugar as I want, and consequently do not crave or overeat anything with sugar in it.
              When you say "you eat as much sugar as you want" do you mean that you eat as much fruit and "natural" sources as you want or do you mean you just eat as much processed sugar- cookies, ice cream, cake, jolly ranchers that you want?

As much "natural sugar as I want" is a couple pieces of fruit a day. However, if I allow myself "processed sugar" well, I will do shit like drink coffee with two tablespoons for breakfast, half a bad of candy bars, and ice cream for dessert. I can believe my body needs the fruit. I have a hard time fathoming that the second scenario is anything but an unhealthy addiction and not about my body needing the sugar.....

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                When you say "you eat as much sugar as you want" do you mean that you eat as much fruit and "natural" sources as you want or do you mean you just eat as much processed sugar- cookies, ice cream, cake, jolly ranchers that you want?

As much "natural sugar as I want" is a couple pieces of fruit a day. However, if I allow myself "processed sugar" well, I will do shit like drink coffee with two tablespoons for breakfast, half a bad of candy bars, and ice cream for dessert. I can believe my body needs the fruit. I have a hard time fathoming that the second scenario is anything but an unhealthy addiction and not about my body needing the sugar.....
                I eat tons of fruit. Tropical, dates, orange juice, sugar in my coffee, mexican coke and even eat haagen daz ice cream. Also, I like to eat imported haribo gummy bears from time to time. I don't touch cookies, cake, garbage candy bars and the like.
                Make America Great Again

Comment

Got ya. I can't eat that amount of sugar (juice, coke, haagen daz) and expect to be a healthy weight.

Comment

Magnolia, you are having a cyber-convo with a person who, in addition to tons of processed sugar, also professes to ingest thirty cups of coffee a day on a regular basis. I'm not sure why someone who treats their body that way would even spend time on a Primal site in the first place.

Reminds me of Barefoot G going on about how meat is gross and bread is great.

Comment

Interesting thing I've noticed while I've been on my junk food diet these past couple weeks - refined wheat and sugar (probably moreso the wheat) are not satiating at all. One day I ate 700 calories of french toast at a restaurant and followed it up with two enormous pancakes because I didn't feel like I should stop eating. Another interesting fact, I had that same short stack of pancakes with maple syrup instead of corn syrup a week later, and I didn't feel the need to eat anything more.

Just thought I'd relay that interesting anecdote.

It's also worth mentioning that when I devour the fuck out of a pizza, like tonight, it satisfies me, and it doesn't lead to further cravings. So I guess the lesson here is to make most of your cheat meals pizza.

Because pizza is amazing.
                      Last edited by Timthetaco; 11-17-2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                        Got ya. I can't eat that amount of sugar (juice, coke, haagen daz) and expect to be a healthy weight.
                        You'd be surprised. It's more about keeping your stress levels down and your thyroid happy.

Magnolia, you are having a cyber-convo with a person who, in addition to tons of processed sugar, also professes to ingest thirty cups of coffee a day on a regular basis. I'm not sure why someone who treats their body that way would even spend time on a Primal site in the first place.

Reminds me of Barefoot G going on about how meat is gross and bread is great.
                        Yeah, my poor, poor body. I'm 6'3 and 155lbs, and although leanness doesn't equate to being healthy I feel fantastic. I don't bother stressing about what I eat and cover all nutritional basis with little supplements by eating whatever I want and as much as I want.

Weren't you the same person who was absolutely crushed in a debate about sugar(this same basic way of eating) before by several different people? I figured you'd have learned by now.
                        Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                          Weren't you the same person who was absolutely crushed in a debate about sugar(this same basic way of eating) before by several different people? I figured you'd have learned by now.
                          I think the better question is, why are you on a Primal website and promoting how wonderful and healthy it is to eat a bunch of processed sugar at will? Many people turn to this lifestyle because they have serious health issues, ie, metabolic syndrome, and they come here because they want to better their lives and break old habits, like eating processed foods and sugar. Many people here got to the point of having metabolic syndrome because they ate whatever and as much as they wanted. That methodology might work for you, but I would say that it probably doesn't work for a very large percentage of people on this earth. Most folks have to watch the quality and intake of their foods in order to remain healthy. You are giving bad advice.

Seems kinda insensitive to me to be coming to a site like this and talking about how wonderful sugar is and how you get to eat as much as you want to, especially considering the fact that so many people here struggle with moderating their intake of sugar and processed foods.

Comment

Why are you indulging on tasteless crap?
                            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Genetic variation easily accounts for why one person can easily handle sugars and others can't. My ancestors had little access to fruit and, as a result, it appears I do not tolerate it well. I'm talking mangoes and bananas, here. Berries and apples, avocados and the like are fine. Every body is designed uniquely, look to your own personal ancestors for what to eat.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I think you are lucky if you can eat all that sugar..... i do have a lot of friends who eat like that...... mostly men. Mostly under 35.

If it is stress...... i'm pretty damn laid back and eliminating crap made weight fall of while allowing for fruit etc.

I don't know many women over 35 that eat a lot of sugar and are not fat.

Comment

Working...
                                X