Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women IFers -- lets chat about protocols!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went for a few months recently just pushing my breakfast forward as far as I could. It seemed at first I could push it as far as 1pm or even 2pm once or twice. Gradually I could push it only to 11, then 10, then 9, then 8:30. Now I'm back to eating breakfast before I head off to work.

Other "protocols" I've been able to do are the "oh my, I ate too much last night so I won't eat until I'm truly hungry again" protocol. I'll go out for a big hike to make sure I am really hungry before I eat.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      I went for a few months recently just pushing my breakfast forward as far as I could. It seemed at first I could push it as far as 1pm or even 2pm once or twice. Gradually I could push it only to 11, then 10, then 9, then 8:30. Now I'm back to eating breakfast before I head off to work.
      LOL I went through that phase too! Going through it I guess. Breakfast got later and later until pretty soon it was 24hrs. I have to say though, as far as weight loss is concerned, it pretty much stopped during that time. I was not hungry. I was high fat and very full, but not making progress on the scale. This went on for months. So once I get the weight off, might be good.

Now after shifting macros around, less fat and more carbs/starch, I can't push breakfast off as long but I am losing weight once again. And on a few more calories also. My calories have never been the problem unless it might have been too few, which I don't get either when you thinking about fasting. But anyhow, I am trying to make sure that I get a few more calories in on some of the days like 1500-1700, a few lower calorie days as well like 1200 - 1300.

Anyways, I do get hungrier sooner now. But yesterday I just reached for bone broth with some added goodies. Will do something similar today, at least try Calling it a fast
      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Oh, to clarify, the IF has not resulted in any weight loss. I did it only for the mastery over appetite mostly. The only time IF ever resulted in weight loss for me was early on when I first was doing Primal and was already losing weight anyway. I would fast for one 23 hour period once a week, breakfast to breakfast the next day. Eventually I quit because I would get really cold and shiver uncontrollably the days I did the fast. I actually don't really see all that much value in IF, personally, beyond having a nice mastery over appetite once in a while.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Funny, I saw this thread and thought to myself.... not for me. Then I realized that I actually naturally IF. 16/8. Never like breakfast until around 10.30 or 11, and stop eating around 6.30 every night.
          Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
          Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
          Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

I think for me, it's nice and natural. As a kid, I used to force myself to eat breakfast and had to wake an extra hour early just to eat it (if i eat when I first wake up, I feel sick). Left to my own devices, I would eat around lunch time and then a snack around 3 and then dinner around 6. That's still my preference now, honestly.

But, my schedule doesn't allow because I teach at 12-2 and then 5-7 (which includes the commute home). Which means either eating earlier (which isn't that comfortable 9-5 would probably be a fine window), or pushing it later (2-10?) or squeezing it (2-5). eh, we'll see.

We've actually seen a lot of benefits from IFing -- leaner, feeling like we have more time/space (less time spent in the kitchen, in sitting and eating when we used to have 3-5 meals a day-- it's actually a LOT of time), and overall just feeling less "attached" to food emotionally (which is good for both of us as we are emotional eaters in very different ways). so, it's not just been the health benefits, but also these side, emotional benefits have been big for us.

And no, no more crankiness than usual -- but I haven't been getting a lot of sleep lately, so that's partly why i'm so cranky.

Comment

I am a complete failure at not eating breakfast. I am going to try to eat my last meal between 4 and 5 pm, so I can have breakfast once I get to the office between 6 and 7 am, and still maintain the minimal 14 hour window. I have never been good at skipping dinner either, but maybe if I have <50 calories snack allowed in the LG protocol before bed, I can do it.

I can't try tonight since it would mean eating a protein bar, and the good food won't be available until after 6 pm, but I will make arrangements tomorrow.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                (less time spent in the kitchen
                I think that is why I started out fasting yesterday, just didnt feel like making anything. And the bone broth was already made and the tators were already baked. Then later for a snack, the eggs were already boiled

And I had a tooth bothering me a little so less chewing meant less aggravating it.
                65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Unfortunately doesn't apply in my case, since I have to cook and feed the rest of the family Even if I pack everybody's lunches in the evening (which I hate doing because I am so tired, and it will get soggy overnight), I still need to make my husband's breakfast in the morning, and what I am going to do while it's cooking? Might as well pack lunches. But that's get me to handling tons of food right off the bat at 4 am, so by the time I get to the office at 6, I really want breakfast. I dunno, fasting never makes things easier. I used to think that maybe it is easier since I don't lag food to the office, but then I get so hungry that I will go shop for food at lunch break, and it is far pricier even if I get to a grocery store than what I buy in bulk. And now when I have to workout after work, I hit the worst low of the day just as I leave work at 2;30 and by the time I get to the gym at 3:30 it is so hard to get going. The day gym starts opening at 5 am instead of 5:30 am will be the happiest day of my life!!!

Comment

I have never been a breakfast person, so unintentionally I have been sort of IF-ing all my life. Since going Primal I have made a few adjustments. Mainly eating my first meal around 1:30 - 2 pm. and my second and last one before 7. Now, sometimes (mostly during PMS) I'd feel like having a small snack in between or before bed time, but I try to resist it if I can.

There are days when I'm busy with work or something or simply don't feel hungry so I just have one very large meal in the evening.

I also work out in the morning in semi-fasted state, meaning after my cup of coffee with just a splash of cream.

Comment

For people who are uncomfortable going 14-20 hours everyday without food, couldn't you pick maybe one day a week and not eat from supper to supper that day? I used to do that from Sunday night to Monday night and it always seemed a good way to start the week.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I sometimes end up eating 2 meals between 7am and 1pm, then not eating until breakfast the next day. Any reason why I shouldn't eat more in the morning as opposed to eating more in the evening? Just it seems more "normal" to skip breakfast rather than dinner...
                        Paleo since 22nd Oct. 2012

F/21/5'7"
                        SW: 163 lb 22/10/12
                        CW: 154lb 1/12/12
                        GW: ~140 lb

Comment

For people who are uncomfortable going 14-20 hours everyday without food, couldn't you pick maybe one day a week and not eat from supper to supper that day? I used to do that from Sunday night to Monday night and it always seemed a good way to start the week.
                          I tried it, and I go mental, even if I try a fat fast and eat fat. If I was outdoors having fun, I could do it. Real Life, locked in the office or running the household & serving meals on the weekends... no.

Comment

I am in a regular routine of skipping breakfast, so I guess IF just sort of happens. I eat at noon, and as late as 10pm, sometimes midnight, so my if window ranges from 12 to 16 hours depending on the day.

I decided on Monday night at about midnight that I was going to fast. It's been 38 hours now and am pretty comfortable with it. I'll probably last 42-44 hours total and have some dinner tonight to eat some of the leftovers in the fridge.

I miss long fasts. 8/16's are so routine now, and I can easily eat a days worth of calories in a meal or two so weight loss never really happens anymore. I'm curious to see how alternate day fasting will work. I'm thinking of giving it a try, and skipping meals on Sunday, Tuesday and most of Thursday. I haven't decided yet.

Comment

I believe the eating cycle helps to regulate the circadian rhythm. I always kept feeling extremely full after waking up from a night of free bingeing after 20-24 hour fasts, so now I am eating 3 meals a day, with breakfast being just broth around 7am, a large lunch around 11-1 and dinner around 7 of eating only easily digestible things.

My sleep quality has definitely improved, and my workout recovery has been a lot better. As a result, I have improved my lifts somewhat after plateuing for months, and I feel more energetic in general, with less overall stiffness. My weight has been the same the entire time I began fasting to after I began this new eating cycle, although I think I lost a bit of fat and packed on ever MORE muscle, although if I am glycogen-depleted, my pants begin to feel really loose.
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

My husband does the cooking in our house, but it's twice a day only. He does breakfast for DS who eats it while DH makes and packs lunches, snacks, and our breakfast (which we eat at 11/12). It takes him about an hour all-told. Then in the evening, he makes a quick dinner (30 minutes or less), and sometiems we stew or roast something which will be lunches/snacks the next day.

this is different than before when DH was eating 5-6 times a day, making 3-4 fresh meals and then also having snacks, which meant a lot of time spent eating and in the kitchen comparatively.

Comment

Working...
                                X