No announcement yet.

maca root & birth control.. need help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maca root & birth control.. need help!

Ladies..have you tried to take maca root while on the pill? I've read from some sites that the maca root messes with & cancels out the BC, but other forms say there's not a problem? The pill has killed my libido. It's embarrassing actually. I really need help getting it back in action (newly wed & excited hubs don't mix well with a libido that's DOA)
    But I don't want to not be protected & get off the BC...any ideas? :/

Fertility awareness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's what we use. Good for not having children when you don't want to, and for having them when you do want to.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

We use a mix of what magicmerl says and the ever 100% full proof "withdrawal method". So been doing this for 8 years and we have had 2 kids....both intended. Don't mean we won't slip up and have a third, but I'm willing to risk it

Comment

Withdrawal is NOT 100%. Even pre-cum has sperm that is viable.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

Use a different method of BC. I used the Mirena IUD for almost five years. It worked, minimal side effects.

Technically, no form of BC is 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            We use a mix of what magicmerl says and the ever 100% full proof "withdrawal method". So been doing this for 8 years and we have had 2 kids....both intended. Don't mean we won't slip up and have a third, but I'm willing to risk it
            What do you call people using 'withdrawal' as birth control? Parents!

But seriously, that's what we go with too.
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
              Withdrawal is NOT 100%. Even pre-cum has sperm that is viable.
              lol...Sarcasm doesn't type well huh? The 100% portion was a joke....(kinda, it's worked for 8 years). And as I said if pregnancy occurs we actually wouldn't be stressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                lol...Sarcasm doesn't type well huh? The 100% portion was a joke....(kinda, it's worked for 8 years). And as I said if pregnancy occurs we actually wouldn't be stressing.
                Ah. Missed the sarcasm completely.

I'm actually on BC as well and want to see where this goes. Not for the libido effects (although I wouldn't say no), but some of the other effects.
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                My Latest Journal

Comment

Has anyone tried maca root for libido? My curiosity was piqued by marks post the other day - I really need to give my libido a kick up the bum!!
                  The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Comment

I personally just didn't want my wife to resume BC products for all the other side effects that you probably are talking about. There just really aren't all that many options that don't have side effects though outside of barrier methods (condoms....and I refuse to ever wear one again!).

Comment

I just started maca root after Mark's article. I've got a number of things working against me for libido: anxiety, depression, something wrong with my gut (constipation for several months), recurrent yeast infections, low progesterone. They're all linked, I'm sure. I'm taking things for all of those issues (no SSRI's or hormonal BC for over a year now, to be clear), but it's a slow process and my libido has been pretty lackluster for the past 4 years. I've noticed a bit of an energy perk from maca root so far, but nothing else yet. I might try a full 3g dose within the next couple of days (at 2g now). I'll report my findings in the She-groks thread
                      Depression Lies

Comment

I have used maca on and off for a while. I definitely notice an increase in libido while using it, but only when I was using a high dose. About 6-8 grams/day is enough to do it for me. My libido is pretty high anyway, but this stuff was taking me to new levels of horny lol. And there's also the nice side effect of being able to plaster a whole wall while you are using it. Takes a few days to kick in.

Comment

Ok, so take my oppinion for what it is, oppinion, but I have been an herbal and holistic nut my entire life. I keep a cupboard full of tinctures and teas and powders and whole herbs, I make my own salves and creams, and can ussually rattle off at least two recomendations for most common problems off the top of my head. I have worked with and for certified herbalists and naturopaths.

There are several herbs for various ladies problems, including menstral issues, menopause, and even fertility. In my experience and oppinion none of them should be used while you are on a hormonal contraceptive. These herbs all work by either introducing plant estrogens or plant hormones to your system, bolstering your own supply, or by stimulating your body itself to make more or less of certain hormones depending on the herbs action. Maca not only stimulates libido, it has also been shown to increase fertility by increasing egg and folicle count in women and sperm count and mobility in men. Unfortunately, to me it is not worth the risk of screwing up your hormonal balance and production by giving your body conflicting signals and to many exterior hormonal signals and inputs. No one I have ever worked with has deemed it a good idea.

I would suggest what others have, that you try out some different birth control methods/pills. You may have a bad reaction to one and be perfectly happy on another. For example, I use the 3 month shot. My sister tried it but she had a horrible reaction, no drive at all, and gained like 20 lbs, and dried her out completely to the point where sex was painful. She switched to the low dose mini pill and no side effects at all. The weight dropped back off and everything normalized very quickly.
                          Last edited by imgliniel; 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM. Reason: can't spell this morning

Comment

You used Mirena while taking Maca Root? I just ordered some Maca & I am on Mirena. Kinda curious if it's gonna cancel out the mirena or no?

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnaaaRae View Post
                              You used Mirena while taking Maca Root? I just ordered some Maca & I am on Mirena. Kinda curious if it's gonna cancel out the mirena or no?
                              I haven't found anything definitive, but most results I found when searching online were "it should be fine". I wouldn't take Maca personally because it messes with your thyroid. I had bad effects from it.
                              Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                              X