Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home-made Mayo help

Hey,

So I want to make some home-made Mayo. Though I wanted to ask 2 important things:
    1. Which oil do you suggest?
    2. How much time can I keep it in the fridge?

Thanks in advance.

I use lighter flavor olive oil. Most likely not 100% Primal, but I can't tolerate the too strong flavor of the extra virgin kind. At any rate it's a huge step up from the soybean oil mayo sold at the store.

It lasts about a week, stored in the coldest part of the fridge. But ymmv, because I follow the principle, if it doesn't stink too bad, it's ok to eat.

Comment

I used this method and it was amazing. I used a light olive oil. Keeps as long as your egg carton expiration date.

The Secret to Homemade Mayo? Patience. | theclothesmakethegirl
      My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
        I use lighter flavor olive oil. Most likely not 100% Primal, but I can't tolerate the too strong flavor of the extra virgin kind. At any rate it's a huge step up from the soybean oil mayo sold at the store.

It lasts about a week, stored in the coldest part of the fridge. But ymmv, because I follow the principle, if it doesn't stink too bad, it's ok to eat.
        Yes, definitely do not use extra virgin olive oil. It will make your mayo taste disgusting.
        http://meatsleeprepeat.com/
        http://ternioncrossfit.com/

Comment

Oooh I'm so excited to try this!
          Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

I just made my own mayo for the first time last week, and I used bacon fat. OMG, it was mighty tasty, I would highly recommend it. I also bought some avocado oil specifically for making mayo but haven't tried it yet.

Comment

I second the recommendation from The Clothes Make the Girl, I have made it many times now, and never had any issues

Goal: Feel good, be active!

Comment

Coconut oil for me, as I find olive oil tastes nasty... but that might just be me?

Comment

I've used avocado oil, walnut oil, extra-light tasting olive oil, MCT oil, and coconut oil.

I think it depends on what you want to use it for. I didn't like the taste of olive oil mayo, even with the extra-light, so I only made it once. I did try a half-olive oil, half-coconut oil combination, which wasn't as bad. With avocado and walnut oil, it's great for making salad dressings and other flavored "sauces". For tuna salad, chicken salad, BLT-Bs (bacon, lettuce and tomato minus bread) I prefer the MCT oil mayo--MCT oil is tasteless, so it doesn't "contaminate" the other ingredients. Coconut oil works great so long as you use the whole batch at once; the coconut oil gets hard in the fridge (harder than olive oil) and then the texture isn't right.

I make a 1-egg yolk batch at a time, and it makes about a cup of mayo. Hubby and I usually eat that up in 8-10 days and it's lasted fine in the fridge.

Comment

I use bacon fat too. you're making an emulsification, so go slow
                    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Comment

Mayonnaise SHOULD be made with EVOO. That is the traditional way and it tastes good
                      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I've used a mix of melted/room temperature ghee and EVOO to make my mayo. The taste of the EVOO was quite strong though, so next time I plan to add more ghee and less oil.

Comment

I like avocado oil for mine. Patience is key. I have none and it took me three times to get it through my thick skull that you have to add the oil slooooowly. I don't know how long it lasts because I use it on everything once I make it - also one yolk batch.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I have made a couple of good batches lately. My issue is that it makes more than I can use. I can only use egg yolks as I have a problem with whites, but then can't get through it in the week because the food processor can't reach one lowly egg
                            Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                            Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                            Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

If you have an immersion blender (also called a stick blender), it's a perfect tool for making mayo. Dump all your ingredients in a tall container just large enough to fit the blender in (they usually come with one) and then whir till emulsified. Mine came out perfect with no fuss at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X