Do you believe in a "Set Point" ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe in a "Set Point" ?

... had to change my name cause for some reason I could not log in with my original name and password. Oh well. Anyway, what do you guys think about the set point? Do you think we really do have one?
    Last edited by Little_Fish; 01-08-2012, 08:32 AM.
    sigpic

Also.... I LOVE the new FORUM!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Mark!!!!!
    sigpic

Comment

It seems reasonable to me. Stephan Guyenet has an excellent 4-part series on it over at http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com.
      Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

Obviously Set Point is a very important phenomenon. Read the section of getting rid of Obesity in Good Calories and Bad Calories. It shows how solving obesity fails because the body wants to remain at the same fat level. Trying by eating less or exercising more does not help.

Comment

Speaking from personal experience, I absolutely believe I have a set point of around 136 pounds, because if I go below this magic number -- which takes dietary diligence -- I feel like I'm constantly hungry and my menstrual cycle will invariably go out of whack. I'm also married to one of those thin men who can eat 3000 non-primal calories a day and not gain an ounce.

Comment

Physiologically it makes perfect sense since your body always wants to maintain homeostasis. Also drastically reducing weight isn't exactly in the bodies best interest from a survival perspective.

With that in mind, there are ways around it that might be viewed as extreme by some, but everyone has different desires in life, including achieving the "dream body"
            sigpic
            In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

I think the most important point is that the set point can be changed. Stephan Guyenet discusses some of the ways to do that in the last part of his series, such as improving GI health, getting proper micronutrients, interval training, and adequate sleep, all of which I now recognize as extremely important, though I used to neglect them. To that list I might add proper use of intermittent fasting, proper fatty acid profile, cold water bathing, sunlight, and the rest of the formal and informal components of the PB.

I was at a high weight and body fat level for almost all of my life and it certainly was a set point (gradually increasing) to which my body constantly tended. But going on the PB completely recalibrated my set point. It's still bouncing around like a roulette ball.

DNA originally seemed to be the immutable cause of our ailments and shortcomings. Now with epigenetics we know the possibilities are much broader. I think the same applies to the concept of set point.

Comment

I don't know if I have a set weight, but I'm pretty sure my body isn't going to easily let me drop below 25% body fat.

Comment

There is no Set Point! There is Mind Set Point!

Comment

I'd hate to think that i have a set point and it's 145-150 pounds. I'm only 5'2''. That's not where I want to be. I have changed my diet to the primal and have lost 11 pounds. So I now hover about 138.4-139.8 It never helps me to weigh myself because it seems like my weight shifts around a pound or two sometimes. My sister was trying to tell me about how I won't be able to get to 130. I guess she was referring to set point. I lost those 11 pounds fairly fast, now it seems like the weight loss has slowed down some. I can still see change happening, just not as quickly as before.
                    Timothy, I can sympathize with you!
                    sigpic

Comment

If you can lose weight without restricting calories, it's because you have a new set point. So right now it isn't 145-150 pounds any more. And weight loss always slows down. Just enjoy your food and watch the pounds slowly fall off.
                      Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                      Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                      No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                      Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Bodies and metabolisms can vary a lot, but I think it's fairly certain most of our bodies are determed to maintain homeostasis. What your weight and compositon is depends on many factors including genetics, what you eat, how much you eat, what type of exercise you do, and how active you are overall.

I myself have a very determined weight setpoint - I have been 100 pounds (give or take 5 in either direction) for the last 8 years no matter what I am eating, or how I exercise. On primal, my body fat distribution has been changing a tiny bit and the muscles in my lean areas are more defined, but no weight changes yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X