IF & Protein Minimums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF & Protein Minimums

For those of you who IF for fat loss via reducing meals (and therefore calories), are you concerned about getting a daily minimum of protein? About l gram/lb of body weight for those who are active.

Based on what I've read, when opting for fat loss it is imperative to get at least 1 gram protein/lb of bw to maintain muscle. (Again for those who are active.)

Thanks!

I have been very concerned about that. Lately, i've been low on energy/strength and experiencing a lot of muscle fatigue since IF more frequently. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with my protein intake. So i've started increasing my protein intake and lowering my carbs to 20-30. Not sure if that will help w/ IF, but i'll see if it works.

Comment

Jewelz, what is your intake now that you've increased? (Also, if you don't mind, what is your body weight?)

Comment

Well today is my 1st day of increasing! ha Yesterday was terribly painful for me, not even being able to do Crossfit wod!! So far my food intake for the day that i have planned and plugged into Fitday is 823 53.1 fat, 26.4 carbs, 66.6 protein. Most would probably say my intake is way too low, but i never feel hungry anymore! I'm 5'6 and weigh 116lbs.

Comment

"Lately, i've been low on energy/strength and experiencing a lot of muscle fatigue since IF more frequently. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with my protein intake."

I think it might have more to do with your calorie intake. 823 calories?????? Seriously????? You are already skinny at 5'6" and 116 lbs. Maybe you are trying to rid yourself of the last bit of fat, but I'm thinking you'd be better off adding some muscle to your frame. You are risking long term damage to your metabolism / health. And I seriously doubt you are getting all of the vitamins and nutrients you need from 823 calories. Check your vitamin profile on the nutrition tab in Fitday. I'm guessing you're deficient in quite a few areas.

Comment

Oh and if you aren't hungry you need to FORCE yourself to eat. Food is energy, food is nutrition, food is health. Your body needs it - it is not bad for you, it is good for you. If you aren't getting enough of it, that is a bad thing that WILL cause health problems.

Comment

Conan, any input on protein minimums?

Comment

1g/lb lean body mass is a more appropriate standard, so if you're 240 pounds with 33% body fat, 160g day would suffice. 0.7g/lb lean mass is really the minimum for moderately active folks, whereas 1g is recommended as a minimum for harder training.

Comment

If you are just trying to maintain muscle then I think 1g / lb. of body weight is sufficient - like Nick said you could probably get by with less. If you are trying to gain muscle (which you probably aren't if you are concerned about fat loss) then I think 1-1.5 g / lb. is probably more appropriate. I just recently increased my protein to 1.25 g / lb. (I'm using total pounds not lean mass) since it's been tough to add muscle at 1 g / lb.

Comment

I mentioned on another post that ive been doing P90x for 5 months and lost about 5% body fat, right now im around 10.5%, my abs are defined etc...but i haven not gained muscle, my frame is actually smaller...this may be because of two things. 1- the layer of fat made me look "fuller" or 2- ive lost muscle.

I dont know about the muscle loss because i can lift much more than when i started....at first i could barely do 8 pull ups, now i can do around 25. If i had lost muscle wouldnt my strenght decrese as well?

I still want to lose more fat, want to get to around 8% but i also want to look bigger, my wife already tells me i look scrawney and im getting worried. I dont think im huge or anything but scrawney??, my arms are 15", strong pecs, but my waist is around 29"...im 58" and as of today 156 pounds.

Any advice?

Comment

Nick, in my case, however, my total body mass and lean body mass are close (I'm about 130 lbs, 18%BF, so about 107 lbs LM). So I'm looking at a minimum of 107 grams of protein/day.

... and that's no problem on days when I'm eating regular meals, but on days when I want to IF, I'm not sure what to do. If I hit, say 1/2 of my protein requirements, 1 to 3 days/week, is that risky? In other words, am I risking losing LBM?

Comment

You can get stronger without adding any muscle mass. A large part of your strength is derived from the Central Nervous System and some of it is psychological. That is why a 120 pound house wife can summon the strength to lift a weight she couldn't budge under normal conditions if her child is in danger. So I think you can lose some muscle mass or hold steady and get stronger.

In terms of your competing goals of wanting to still lose body fat but also wanting to look bigger - you need to pick one because very few people can do both simultaneously. Even the freakishly athletic and strong guys at my gym have told me this. I've heard some people argue that you should work on adding the muscle first because it will make it easier to lose the fat later (due to higher metabolism and greater work capacity).

My advice to you if you want to add muscle is to add calories to your diet (mostly in the form of protein and fat). You might want to add a sweet potato and/or banana to your post workout meal as well. And make sure you are getting adequate protein - maybe start with 175-200g / day.

Comment

Thanks, Conan, for the feedback.

However, I'm not looking to put on muscle, I am simply looking to cut body fat and maintain muscle mass.

I'm less worried about strength and more worried about asethetic. Looking leaner with muscle vs. looking skinny/flabby.

My question is: how low can I take protein and not risk losing LBM? And for those who IF how do you ensure adequate protein while you fast?

Comment

Conan, how many calories should i be eating in a day to put on muscle? Aprox. Also, when youre trying to gain muscle do you always gain fat as well?

Comment

Brad Pilon did a post a few weeks ago about this subject. Basically an anecdotal post showing that he hasn't lost muscle mass since doing IF's.

After reading more, and just thinking about how my body works, it seems that the 'daily' aspect of the way we think of our bodies functioning (maybe a part of CW?) isn't an accurate representation of what actually happens. Basically, our bodies are always working, we as humans operate on a 24-hour schedule, and while our bodies change on how they operate, your stomach doesn't just stop working or whatever. So, basically, I think it's more looking at your protein intake on a longer time line. I read somewhere (I don't remember where now) that they suggested making sure after breaking a fast (referring to traditional breakfast) to have at least 30g of protein, since your body needs it most then. So, when I end my ifast, i almost always have some whey protein powder and usually a larger meal than usual, so, I'm guessing overall, it ends up averaging out.

This probably made next to no sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X