Low Carb and Thyroid Function

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you all for the answers.

I am worried because my TSH went from 2.5 to 4.3 and T3 is also lower (3.0). since then I am more conscious about the symptons.
    I started by adding carbs in my diet and my blood ketone level today is still 0.8 mmol (in the afternoon) although I ate around 120 g of oats + whey for breakfast. in the morning my ketosis level was 1.1. mmol

so that is why I am confused how much carbs to add and when can I expect to see some positive effect? 10 days, 30 days...?
    Last edited by ninani; 02-19-2014, 08:58 AM.
    @goodiesforme

Comment

Originally posted by Avishek
      Holy cow . . . this is an incredible story.

My advice to you, and I'm not sure if you'll take it because you're on this forum, is to ditch dieting altogether . . . stop looking for a perfect diet and eat more calories. These problems can be caused by over-activation of the HPA axis: excessive exercise and dieting (vegan or paleo actually) can cause it. A chronic negative energy balance will do it.

The immense fatigue you mentioned is not abnormal: it's an Addison's-disease-like adrenal insufficiency that is common in overtraining syndrome and from dieting, i'm pretty sure at least. I'm no doctor btw, definitely consult with one, although they often aren't good with thyroid probs like this and they may put you on hormones you don't need.
      how can you compare vegan to paleo? and she was following primal, again different to the afore mentioned

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Streptozotocin causes type 1 diabetes, which is essentially a low-carb diet. It also tends to cause hypothyroidism, which can be at least partially reversed with insulin administration. This lends support to the idea that low-carb diets promote hypothyroidism.

Regulation of hepatic triiodothyronine producti... [Am J Physiol. 1984] - PubMed - NCBI
          Secretion and metabolic clearance r... [Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1985] - PubMed - NCBI
          My opinions and some justification

Comment

It took me a while to get around to lowering my fat intake and stop worrying about carb intake. I also started getting exercise in almost everyday. So here are the results:

07/01/2014 Lipid Profile W/ Hdl High Cholesterol, Total: 243 MG/DL
            High Triglycerides: 152 MG/DL
            Hdl Cholesterol: 45 MG/DL
            Vldl Cholesterol Cal: 30 MG/DL
            High Ldl Cholesterol Calc: 168 MG/DL

As you can see, the LDL numbers dropped significantly. Thank you for your recommendation. I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Originally posted by choppedliver View Post
            Welcome to the club. You've seen the light. You'll never convince the naysayers, who'll argue 1+1=3. Just ignore the low carb cult and do PHD. It's that simple.

Actually, I missed your blood lab portion of the post. Here's the issue. The LDL skyrocketing could be due to your low FT3 or your ApoE4 genes. If your temp is low, you've lost significant weight, then it's obvious that your FT3 would be low-normal. Get it tested. That could be an issue, because it could come back up in response to higher carbs or it may not.

Second, I see that your LDL rose in response to being high fat and so did your HDL. You could be homo or hetero ApoE4 and, if so, then you need to go easy on Sataruated Fat. Yes, saturated fat. There are no sacred cows in dieting; every damn person is so different. About 25% of the population is ApoE4 and your story is so damn common that if I got a buck after reading about LDL and high TC after starting high fat or low-carbing, I'd be richer than Jeff Bezos.

If you want, get 23andme tested. But no need. You need to do high-carb/lower fat Paleo. Not low fat, just lower fat. You could comparatively increase the MUFA portion but that would be somewhat difficult. You need to go from muscle meat, cream and butter to yams, sweet potatoes, and white rice. In other words, PHD, like you said. That will solve your problem in either case -- whether it's your genes or your thyroid. Your lipids reacted so quickly to fat, it probably is more ApoE4 than thyroid. But you're right, it's time to get off the low-carb bandwagon.

Comment

Lol thyroid type dysfunction is a nimble and elusive bitch....

I.e. It ain't all bout the carbs ( and in most cases it isn't at all).

Comment

If less t3 is needed with low carb,
                Is that why my free T4 is a little low too?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

I am no physician, but I'd guess 'yes,' your T4 is lower because the body is making less T3--since one of the major functions of T4 is to convert to T3.

Comment

Why do we have a thyroid? What is it's function?

Well it is a master control dial for our metabolism. It is the reason employing CICO often fails to result in much fat loss. The thyroid is in place to help our bodies survive lean times. Once we have automatically detected we are in "lean times" the thyroid progressively scales back non essential functions (like reproduction) and progressively reduces the amount of energy required to run our bodies during a day, but our bodies become less capable as a result. The depression and lethargy we see from hypo's is a result of this function. So the thyroid regulates metabolism, without it we would've died out in the first harsh long winter or drought. It prolongs our lives when times are tough but reduces our functionality as a being, to do so.

The question I think needs answering is "what is lean times?". I think LC could produce a "lean times" effect in our bodies as we are forced to generate glucose ourselves. But.... Combine/ replace that with a lack of sufficient calories over time and the "lean times" detected will be much stronger with a greater cause for alarm to the body inducing a bigger reduction in body function. But.... If we are also forced to expend a lot of energy during our "lean times" then the thyroid survival response will be stronger again. Also being highly mentally stressed will tend to induce this response from the thyroid.

Anybody notice something strange about the above conditions that the thyroid will respond to? It is the same prescription that most peeps use to try to lose weight. "Hypothyroid", the weight loss condition. I would bet my bottom dollar that most people suffering from general hypo would see a drastic improvement in their hypo if they stopped exercising excessively, ate plenty (surplus) of decent food with a nice macro spread and found a way to reduce their mental stress. (Basically indicating to your body, "times are good here, no cause for alarm")

Here's the kicker, blaming hypo on just low carb intake is not looking at the big picture. Sure it might be a factor, but is it the only reason your body is thinking it is doing it tough.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                    A little primal gem - My Success Story
                    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

The only problem with your 'analysis' is that 7 of 10 hypothyroid cases in the U.S. are due to Hashimoto's, an auto-immune disease that is not 'caused' by diet.

The notion that the metabolism slows when calories are reduced is a fact, BUT all studies show that the reduction is minimal and certainly not enough to impede weight loss. Otherwise no one would ever lose weight.

The human body regards weight loss as a negative (thanks to our history where body fat was essential for surviving famine), and it fights against loss in a variety of ways--which is why the statistics on those who lose--and successfully maintain that loss are so dismal.

But people who go on diets don't 'cause' thyroid disease. In fact, many of them are finally diagnosed because of their inability to lose weight--i.e., they've had the problem for a while but were either not checked or their labs were ambiguous. Many people with low thyroid (borderline hypo) have such vague symptoms that they don't even realize they're ill. When they struggle to lose, they then often have their thyroid checked--and are diagnosed and treated. But the 'diet' didn't cause the hypo; it highlighted the already existing problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
                        Why do we have a thyroid? What is it's function?

Well it is a master control dial for our metabolism.
                        Actually I'd call the hypothalamus the master control dial. The pituitary the master control gland. And the thyroid is just following orders.

Course you can't leave out the adrenals and those feedback loops as the interplay of HPA and HPT is huge.
                        Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-12-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
                          The only problem with your 'analysis' is that 7 of 10 hypothyroid cases in the U.S. are due to Hashimoto's, an auto-immune disease that is not 'caused' by diet..
                          What do you mean by "not caused by diet"? If you mean simply by carb or calorie reduction then I agree. If not.....well plenty of evidence a poor diet is contributory.

Dat gut! Not to mention nutrient deficiencies and or toxic elements.
                          Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-12-2014, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Neckhammer-
                            The carb/calorie reduction effect on the thyroid is all over the internet--but nowhere in medical literature is there ANY connection between diet and the autoimmune disease Hashimoto's, which is the main source of hypothyroidism in this country.

If you believe that what we eat (or don't eat) is the cause of auto-immune diseases, then you have discover the cure for MS, Lupus, Myasthenia Gravis, and a host of serious illnesses. Congratulations.

Comment

If you believe that what we eat (or don't eat) is the cause of auto-immune diseases, then you have discover the cure for MS, Lupus, Myasthenia Gravis, and a host of serious illnesses. Congratulations.
                              On that topic...
                              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00466-0158.pdf
                              Essential fatty acid deficiency prevents autoimmune... [Pancreas. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI
                              My opinions and some justification

Comment

Check out intestinal impermeability. I don't think that diet directly affects the thyroid but autoimmune issues could very well be caused by leaky gut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                                X