The Potato Diet....criticisms and metabolic theory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pklopp View Post
    The graph showed insulin response relative to baseline, not blood glucose levels. The reason that your blood sugars shot up was due to digestion and absorption, and the reason they started to come down was precisely because you had a surge in insulin which caused increased uptake of blood glucose by peripheral tissues.

-PK
    I stand corrected. I went back and examined the graph again, and noticed something else interesting. Except for the thin non-diabetics, whose insulin levels peaked at one hour, the rest continued their rise for some time afterward. Now, either this indicates I keep company with the skinnies (I don't usually), or there's more to my pattern yet to be revealed. I'll check it again shortly, but hope hubby doesn't scream about the dollar per strip cost.;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
      No one is going to develop kwashiokor on a week or 2 of potatoes. A lot of fruitarians live on fruit for months and even years without problems yet most fruit is much lower in protein than potatoes.
      I don't recall saying that a two week stint of all potatoes was tantamount to kwashiorkor. I did say the diet represented incipient kwashiorkor where incipient means "beginning to come into being." That suggests the existence of a continuum where each additional day on the diet is one additional step away from normal and one additional step closer to being protein deficient, i.e. "leads to the condition"

The argument is that a protein deficient diet is not a healthy diet, whether it is advocated by a potato devotee, fruitarian, or raw food vegan. The corollary to the argument is that if your miraculous weightloss is due largely to protein losses, then you may actually be gaining relative fat mass, i.e. you are losing protein at a faster rate than you are losing fat.

Of course, no underlying mechanism for how this dietary intervention might work has been proposed, so for all intents and purposes it is essentially magic.

-PK
      My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

miraculous weight loss technique
        I dont know why those words like miracle, magic, etc have to even be used. No one believes that it is the cure all to obesity, even if they off-handedly might have said it worked like magic or some flippant remark we all make like that, well some of us anyways. Although anytime I lose a pound, I do feel like it is a miracle and I feel like maybe I could walk on water next.
        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• But the potato diet is not protein deficient. You appear to have missed this point pklopp.
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I don't recall saying that a two week stint of all potatoes was tantamount to kwashiorkor. I did say the diet represented incipient kwashiorkor where incipient means "beginning to come into being." That suggests the existence of a continuum where each additional day on the diet is one additional step away from normal and one additional step closer to being protein deficient, i.e. "leads to the condition"

The argument is that a protein deficient diet is not a healthy diet, whether it is advocated by a potato devotee, fruitarian, or raw food vegan. The corollary to the argument is that if your miraculous weightloss is due largely to protein losses, then you may actually be gaining relative fat mass, i.e. you are losing protein at a faster rate than you are losing fat.

Of course, no underlying mechanism for how this dietary intervention might work has been proposed, so for all intents and purposes it is essentially magic.

-PK
            Exactly. But if people are willing to sacrifice their muscles and organs just to see the numbers move on the scale, then that's their choice. Personally, I'm having steak for dinner tonight. I've got a second one if you want to come over PK.

Comment

I dont mean to beat a dead horse, but I will anyways I guess, cuz this just sounds like you could have also inserted the word fasting in there, unless you mean that fasters are more evolved than the primal tator eater in that a faster is more intelligently developed and is more aware of self preservation and continuing the species by knowing when to say when and a tator eater would just eat himself to death with tators.
              Last edited by gopintos; 11-13-2012, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Personally, I'm having steak for dinner tonight. I've got a second one if you want to come over PK.

Bond....James Bond.
                Last edited by Terry H; 11-13-2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

-PK
                  Isn't that why we're experimenting with this? Magic is just science that hasn't been discovered yet. Satiety comes in as number one explanation. Full people don't feel the need to eat after they've eaten enough. Dull and boring comes in a close second. What's the third one? How about watching the inches decrease motivating one to keep going just one more day, or watching pounds fall off and stay off for someone pursuing an otherwise healthy diet ? OK, if your n=1 is similar to most here, you gotta start where we do - with extra adipose tissue! Skinnies need not torture themselves to debunk our "magic."

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Exactly. But if people are willing to sacrifice their muscles and organs just to see the numbers move on the scale, then that's their choice. Personally, I'm having steak for dinner tonight. I've got a second one if you want to come over PK.
                    San Diego? I hear the weather is perfect out there... I don't think I could make it in time for dinner!

-PK

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                      I dont mean to beat a dead horse, but I will anyways I guess, cuz this just sounds like you could have also inserted the word fasting in there, unless you mean that fasters are more evolved than the primal tator eater in that a faster is more intelligently developed and is more aware of self preservation and continuing the species by knowing when to say when and a tator eater would just eat himself to death with tators.
                      If you recall, you made this point before and I pointed out that the effect of fasting on insulin is the precise opposite of what eating a potato only diet would do. So, as Kipling might say ... "fasting is fasting and potato feasting is potato feasting, and never the twain shall meet."

Unless you want to argue that insulin has no bearing on your metabolism.

-PK

Comment

• Yes but yes but yes but.... you said protein deficient diet in that statement so I thought it was safe to lump fasting in there with the rest of the protein deficient diets you were listing, for the sake of protein deficient

Okay, you guys have your steak tonight but remember don't OD on the protein and get kicked out of ketosis. I had my steak for breakfast (well it was more lunch time than breakfast) but anyways, yes it was delicious so tomorrow I think I will have tators with a side of my own liver cuz my body is too dumb to know it has all this excess fat on my @$$.

Comment

The corollary to the argument is that if your miraculous weightloss is due largely to protein losses, then you may actually be gaining relative fat mass, i.e. you are losing protein at a faster rate than you are losing fat.
                          That's the thing, isn't it? I'm not aware of that happening with any form of weight loss. Fat loss always trumps loss of lean mass. For all your objection, you have yet to show a calorie restriction study that would prove your point that the potato fast would lead to a worrisome loss of lean tissue for such a short period of time. Most diet studies are high carbohydrate by design, so surely there's a calorie restriction study you could find that can definitively prove your point.

Also, from what I recall, the only reason the potato fast was ever called "magic" was because people were losing weight while eating a lot of starch, which breaks the low carb rule of Eat Carb Insulin Make Fat.

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                            Yes but yes but yes but.... you said protein deficient diet in that statement so I thought it was safe to lump fasting in there with the rest of the protein deficient diets you were listing, for the sake of protein deficient

Okay, you guys have your steak tonight but remember don't OD on the protein and get kicked out of ketosis. I had my steak for breakfast and yes it was delicious so tomorrow I think I will have tators with a side of my own liver cuz my body is too dumb to know it has all this excess fat on my @$$.
                            If you are in fat burning mode, your body knows this and eats the @$$ fat. If you keep yourself in carb burning mode by pumping in starch all the time, it doesn't. It snacks on your muscles and organs instead.

The only reason the spud fest works is a combination of a fluffy substance that takes up space in your stomach and yet is low calorie making you feel full enough to chronically under consume on calories.

Comment

yet is low calorie making you feel full enough to chronically under consume on calories.
                              Same as I was doing with high fat & low carbs (and yes I realize now that might have been part of my problem - not enough calories but everyone says if you are not hungry, dont eat!) The only difference is that with LC/HF the scale and the inches were not moving. I have had the same measurements since first of July. Scale moved 2lbs from July 1 - October 1.

Last month, I had 2 days of all tators, and many more days that just included lots of tators with little else, and I lost over 7lbs and 10 inches. And now since October 23, I have lost 7lbs, well another .9 this morning. Maybe a coinky dink of some sort but damn.
                              Last edited by gopintos; 11-13-2012, 07:43 PM.

Comment

if you keep yourself in carb burning mode by pumping in starch all the time, it doesn't. It snacks on your muscles and organs instead.
                                I dont know what organs are in my arms, but I lost almost on inch there. Okay yes that must have been the muscle of which you speak and why I all of a sudden feel the need to start ST since I added in starchy carbs. I will have to come up with something better than that I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X