Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why so many fad diets on the forum lately?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DeeDub;

Not sure why you say it's hard to do? Althought fairly new to this (did things similar before), I find it extremely easy.

It's also very easy to cook for a whole family that is not doing it. My wife and I have watched what we eat for awhile now, mostly followed the 4 hour body, no white (rice, flour, sugar, processed, etc.). Easy? You bet. Last nite we had fish, green beans and (for the kids) white rice. Just because we have a dish on the table does not mean we have to eat it.

Breakfast on week ends, I'll cook up bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, toast. I just eat the bacon and the eggs with some avocado. Simple.

Wife and I eat, protein and some veggies every meal, again, how hard is that?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Comment

Originally posted by excursivey View Post
      I think the quick fix thing really plays in a lot. And especially when you read about people dropping a ton of weight really fast and wonder why that's not happening for you. From what I've learned now I think most of those folks were significantly overweight to begin with. If you don't have a lot to lose or are close to your goal it gets so much harder. Or it seems like it does. It's taking me some mind shifting to let go of the scale and watch the other results I'm getting.
      I am with you all the way on this! After nearly five years of losing weight and getting close to goal I now find myself getting impatient and wanting to get there quicker. I have only been doing Paleo/Primal for about ten weeks now and the other benefits I am finding along the way are amazing! So now I have to try and forget the scale and weight loss and just concentrate on my health - but it's not always easy and I have to constantly remind myself that the scale is not the boss of me!

Comment

I agree! This eating primal/paleo isn't a weight loss program, it's a modality that brings better health and it's a lifestyle that encourages balance not extremes. It's easy you guys, if you have weight to loose, decrease your carbs for a while but not too long because you'll become deficient in vitamins/minerals found in all the delicious veggies that aren't in your diet. Stop trying to micromanage your diets, just eat, breath, sleep and move!

Comment

Oh, ok.
          65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I think it is valuable to keep trying new things and if they lead to better health, then that's something to keep. So in regards to the potatoes, I tried them for a day and a half and I thought hey, I think these potatoes are good for me. So now I eat them with my meals and I think that's been an overall benefit to my health. And by "health" or "working for me" in my case I mean that I feel a little bit more like walking on sunshine than before. Not that I lost any weight. I'm done with losing weight.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Furst Dunaharm View Post
              Weight is a measure of mass - not health. Fad diets attempt to equate the 2.
              Nice one - nail on the head!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                Statistically, the average age might have been 40 years, but so many infants died at or shortly after birth, that a 40 year average had to be balanced out by quite a few 80 year olds. And they lived through thick and thin years, including "fad" diets of mostly one type of foodstuff due to circumstances. So my diet may be restricted to a single food group in the near future - for health and weight loss - and it will be both a diet and my diet, but not Grok's. Heheheh.
                I talked to a doctor (dermatologist) about this diet. He didn't believe diet had anything to do with acne. I wonder if he believes acutane has anything to do with IBS or the hypothyroidism my 22 year old daughter now has to live with. His response was to mimicking a hunter/gatherer diet was "well they only lived to an average age of 30." Sort of. They actually lived to an average age of 33. I showed him the following table: Life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From that table it looks to me that upper paleolithic people fared pretty well relative to all the cultures that followed them, right up until modern times.
                Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott F View Post
                  His response was to mimicking a hunter/gatherer diet was "well they only lived to an average age of 30." Sort of. They actually lived to an average age of 33. I showed him the following table: Life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From that table it looks to me that upper paleolithic people fared pretty well relative to all the cultures that followed them, right up until modern times.
                  Life expectancy is a pretty weak argument since infant mortality and access to clean water/healthcare facilities really skew the data.

All it took for me was to look at the skulls and bones of our not-so-distant ancestors and see their perfectly formed teeth and strong bones. Diseases like cancer and diabetes and obesity didn't come on the scene until fairly recently.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                    I'm not being snotty here, but for those that think very overweight people can easily accept a one to two pound per month loss, I invite you to become a 200 pound woman in our culture for awhile. Once you get in the mindset to get healthy, it can be frustrating to see such small results. My own weight loss slowed to a crawl in the 140s. I can accept that because for the most part that's a fairly acceptable weight, but if I'd only lost one or two pounds per month in the 180s or 170s, I probably would have questioned PB, or at the very least tweaked it. Or tried a hack. As it is, I pretty much combine PB with a reduced calorie approach.
                    Most people forget that getting to be a "200lb woman" (or man, not picking) didn't happen overnight, and gaining weight is MUCH easier than taking it back off. Sitting around for 10 years and eating whatever isn't reversed in two months no matter how much we would like it to be.
                    Adopting a healthy lifestyle, maintaining same, and working to see results is the only way to accomplish this. Yea, its frustrating and slow (I'm not pot-kettling here, I wish I was at my target NOWNOWNOWNOW!) but 's the only way.

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                      Oh, ok.

Gopintos, you are too cute.

Comment

• I don't think it is the fastest or even best way to lose weight. It is the healthiest way to eat and repair much of what made most of us fat in the first place. The fastest way to lose weight is an unsustainable program which generally means you will drop 20 lbs real quick, stall, get annoyed at starving and go back to how you ate when you were gaining.

Following PB means likely slow loss and changing body composition that means not a lot of reward on the scale at times. The other big benefit is that as the fat slowly exits, you are renourishing yourself and stepping away from the food patterns that made you fat. I get the feeling you only lose it once this way.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
                          Wife and I eat, protein and some veggies every meal, again, how hard is that?
                          Bread is delicious. So is pasta. So are many other verboten items.

I make the sacrifice because I feel it is the best path for me -- but there is no question, it is a sacrifice, there are all kinds of foods I *love* that I no longer allow myself to eat, and it is anything but easy. Especially after doing it for more than a year or two.

And of course the ultimate irony is that not allowing oneself to eat available food is anything but natural (or primal or paleo or etc).

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                            I don't think it is the fastest or even best way to lose weight. It is the healthiest way to eat and repair much of what made most of us fat in the first place. The fastest way to lose weight is an unsustainable program which generally means you will drop 20 lbs real quick, stall, get annoyed at starving and go back to how you ate when you were gaining.

Following PB means likely slow loss and changing body composition that means not a lot of reward on the scale at times. The other big benefit is that as the fat slowly exits, you are renourishing yourself and stepping away from the food patterns that made you fat. I get the feeling you only lose it once this way.
                            +1.

Everyone I've watched lose weight faster than me through conventional low-calorie dieting has put it back on again almost as fast, and some have made themselves very sick in the process, e.g. they've wrecked their thyroid or developed gallstones.

Big benefits for me as well as the fat loss have been building muscle and core strength, and normalising my immune system. I caught my first cold in about 18 months recently and I'd almost forgotten what it was like to feel sick with low energy. Interestingly this cold came shortly after a couple of deviations - eating some oats in a flapjack and a 1-hour chronic-cardio circuits class.
                            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

• We must remember that dieters will sooner or later stall on all kind of diets - so changing up things is nessecary from time to time - even on the most solid ways of eating. A short time fad diet, if well designed, can give a new imput to reach your goals when things stalls...
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                                I don't think it is the fastest or even best way to lose weight. It is the healthiest way to eat and repair much of what made most of us fat in the first place. The fastest way to lose weight is an unsustainable program which generally means you will drop 20 lbs real quick, stall, get annoyed at starving and go back to how you ate when you were gaining.

This is so true. Both paragraphs.

Throughout this entire process I took every step with the idea of seeing what it would do to me. I mean, at first all I cared about was losing weight, but I was curious about all the other health claims people were talking about. So I tried some of the things they talked about and observed not what the scale did but how it made me feel.

So I first tried not eating any grains at all during the week, only on the weekend. I ate sweet potatoes with cheese for lunch. I was shocked at the way this made me feel. I felt hot, like having hot flashes. It was kinda cool. I thought it felt like something good was happening to me or waking up inside me so I thought, hmm, what else to try.

So then I tried LCHF (low carb, high fat) and wow, did that ever affect me. Firstly, all the cravings and thoughts of food I always had evaporated instantly. I was dazed and confused, with an empty mind and nothing to think about. Holy crap! You mean, I'm not just a weak-willed compulsive overeater? Did the food I was eating control me? Is that why I couldn't control it? So I stuck with low carb high fat because that freedom was worth all the low carb flu and inability to talk I experienced for the next month.

On and on, I tried new things. Eating more liver. Eating more eggs. Different foods. The hot flashes continued. I thought they were telling me, hey! More of that please. Eventually they dissipated and I hardly ever have them. Meanwhile an awakening began to come over me. I soon realized I was happy all the time and had more energy. I wanted to exercise not because it was medicine I needed to take to lose weight (or at least not gain as much) but because I just wanted to move.

I took more walks and made them mild instead of the death marches I was used to. Wow, that actually did something positive, too. I started running again, but not as a death run, just for fun and getting sun on my skin. I rode my bike to work for fun. Everything was fun. No counting the miles, no pushing as hard as I could. Just fun. Now I had even more energy and happiness.

Lately I've tried weight lifting. That has brought me even more positive feelings. I feel more confident, stronger, sexier, more energetic and hungrier. It has awakened yet more healthy feelings inside me. I'm still shocked there can be more. I'm probably going to have to bring back the sprinting that I quit a while back.

With every new thing I get a new burst of health, happiness, vitality and radiance. I just keep going. Whatever I try, if it adds real value, I keep doing it. If it doesn't, I cut back or cut it out. The whole weight loss thing ended up being really quite incidental.

I'll admit that I was disappointed that I didn't turn out super skinny, but the other improvements have been so amazing that I actually told someone the other day when she asked if I was still doing paleo and when was I going to quit, that I said I was never going to quit. I don't want to be who I used to be. The changes are so deep inside me that it's not about weight, it's about becoming a completely different person, a healthy, happy, confident person.

Maybe I'll try a fad diet someday to get more weight off, but at this point I actually look in the mirror and like what I see. I went out and bought a new wardrobe yesterday. I actually did feel like I was ready to let go of my fat clothes, that I've become a beautiful woman. All I have to do is stand a little straighter and I can see the men checking me out as I go by.

The tl;dr; is that if primal or paleo had been only about a crash diet and maximum weight loss, I never would have seen such a huge change happen in my life, a huge change that I know I can keep up with. It's not going to magically stop working tomorrow.
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X