Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why so many fad diets on the forum lately?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
    I see what you mean. Power to you.
    Thanks. Didnt mean to bark earlier either. I have not always been heavy, and I just feel like I have lost alot of good years hiding behind my weight. When my mom died, good healthy eating went out the window. Which was okay because I was tired of always being pestered by the boys, and from abuses from outsiders when I was younger, putting on weight and being less desirable to the boys just seemed like it would fix those things I was trying to deal with. W/O boring with details, I have been on both sides of heavy and fit up through and even after baby #4, until weight ballooned after our house fire a few years ago, so I have been heavy and thin for all the wrong and all the right reasons. Before I embarked on my journey, I had given up. I settled into being a little old lady, on my last leg. Again w/o boring details, I finally snapped out of it. I feel amazing, my life is amazing and I have spent the last couple of decades overweight so now I just want to get the excess weight off.

Sorry to derail. I guess I have just been thinking about my own personal journey more today so some things here just jumped out at me. Sorry about that
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

^ Are you planning to post photos of your progress, gopintos? 67 lbs loss is very impressive.
      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
        ^ Are you planning to post photos of your progress, gopintos? 67 lbs loss is very impressive.
        Thanks. I guess because I am not where I want to be yet or where I know I can be, I hesitate? Also, I have been very good to make sure that I was not in very many pictures over the last few decades, especially when at my heaviest. That is one of my biggest regrets. I did not take enough pictures (hardly any) with my children while they were growing up. ( If I were to die today, they just would not have much of anything to remember me by. They do not have a picture of me holding them in my arms, smothering them with as many kisses and all the love that I could give them. And a year ago, I would have been okay with that, just to have been forgotten, but now it makes me very sad. Anyways, there were a few taken but I am not sure where they are. Crashed computers, computers lost in the fire.... but I saw some somewhere and all I could think about was how disgusted I was, so I just have to find them again.

Comment

And so far all three of you are female. That changes a lot of things!
          I do best on eating about 30gms carb per day. Can you see the back of my head in the avatar photo? That's my natural colour. My immediate ancestors are from the Rhine delta spilling into the North Sea... and I'm female. But I have to say that as I've been increasing my level of activity there have been few times where I have craved some starch after a heavy work out.
          Female, age 51, 5' 9"
          SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
          2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
            Thanks. I guess because I am not where I want to be yet or where I know I can be, I hesitate? Also, I have been very good to make sure that I was not in very many pictures over the last few decades, especially when at my heaviest. That is one of my biggest regrets. I did not take enough pictures (hardly any) with my children while they were growing up. ( If I were to die today, they just would not have much of anything to remember me by. They do not have a picture of me holding them in my arms, smothering them with as many kisses and all the love that I could give them. And a year ago, I would have been okay with that, just to have been forgotten, but now it makes me very sad. Anyways, there were a few taken but I am not sure where they are. Crashed computers, computers lost in the fire.... but I saw some somewhere and all I could think about was how disgusted I was, so I just have to find them again.
            Ah, bless! I understand - I have very few 'fat' photos too ... however, I didn't have the incentive of children to have any taken.

Am sure that your children do not need any photos to remember the hugs, kisses and love that you gave them.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

As someone who has lost her mother and has a ton of photos of her, I can tell you that I very rarely look at the pictures. It is the memories of the love that matter, not the photographs.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                As someone who has lost her mother and has a ton of photos of her, I can tell you that I very rarely look at the pictures. It is the memories of the love that matter, not the photographs.
                Am sure that your children do not need any photos to remember the hugs, kisses and love that you gave them.
                All good to know. I spent alot of years just trying to disappear. I am so glad that woman is gone and those days are behind me. (I guess she really did disappear... and now they are stuck with me in her place!!) haha

Okay back to your regularly scheduled debate regarding fads on the forum

Comment

The personal stories are just as important as the heated debates IMO. I haven't had children or lost my mother - so what the hell do I know? I enjoy participating in forums for the personal stories as much as anything, if I am honest.

Comment

The personal stories are just as important as the heated debates IMO. I haven't had children or lost my mother - so what the hell do I know? I enjoy participating in forums for the personal stories as much as anything, if I am honest.
                    Same here..

Comment

I see what you mean. Power to you.
                      I agree. I didn't mean to say I wouldn't take a "quick fix" if I could find one either. I have considered doing the potato thing myself. I guess I just meant I think that's why the "hacks" are popular, sort of back to SB's original question... It can be hard to feel like you're creeping toward your goals rather than sprinting. I'm in the same boat.
                      Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

'the cultivating friendships and other spiritually uplifting crap'?

Glad to hear you are embracing the whole program ... not.

Comment

Not entirely sure I'm getting your exact focus, but three things spring to mind:

1) Many people are not willing to invest hard work over a few months. The payoff has to be near-immediate.

2) Too many people creating their own interpretations of primal/paleo/ancestral. It's easier to go wild when the guidelines are wishy-washy.

3) Once people adopt primal/paleo, they are dumping "common wisdom", or "the establishment". Some folks take that way too far and think that it's all valid, as long as it's "alternative". Baby and bathwater kind of thing. So they adopt crap with chakras and humors, stuff like that.

Comment

Spirituality is nonsense.

Comment

Yea and I ate a cookie today. You are one-upped.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyNull View Post
                                Not entirely sure I'm getting your exact focus, but three things spring to mind:

1) Many people are not willing to invest hard work over a few months. The payoff has to be near-immediate.

2) Too many people creating their own interpretations of primal/paleo/ancestral. It's easier to go wild when the guidelines are wishy-washy.

3) Once people adopt primal/paleo, they are dumping "common wisdom", or "the establishment". Some folks take that way too far and think that it's all valid, as long as it's "alternative". Baby and bathwater kind of thing. So they adopt crap with chakras and humors, stuff like that.
                                On number three: This could also read "Once people adopt primal/paleo, they are dumping 'common wisdom'" into primal/paleo, and incorporating CW into primal/paleo principles. For example when people call it a "diet" or talk about "cheats."
                                Last edited by jojohaligo; 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM.
                                Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                                SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                                2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Working...
                                X