Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why so many fad diets on the forum lately?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, this very pale white woman finds that LCHF is a recipe for feeling like crap. I'm glad VLC works for you, but it's ridiculous to dictate that for all people of European ancestry because you happen to do well on it. I am far, far better off with reasonable quantities of starchy vegetables and fruit in my diet.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

White people? Living offa potatoes? Irish I could think of a single example of that...

Comment

As someone whose skin approximates frog "belly white," VLC was one of the worst things I ever did to myself, even if you include all my ankle sprains. That was proof alone that depression, for me, is rooted in diet.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
          Which fads are you referring to?
          Potatoes and now mangoes, mostly. I'm waiting for topics on Hoodia or something.

Just so you understand, I'm not targeting the potato diet specifically, it just seems like suddenly everybody wants a magic single-food-item diet. Carb ratios and meal timings/frequency are just add-ons that could be part of any diet.

Seriously, the regular program works. There may be a few outliers with really bad metabolic problems, but even they will be helped by the basic primal blueprint. There may be a few extra pounds that won't go away for lots of people, even those who aren't damaged. But if you haven't tried the fitness portion of it, maybe that would be a better place to go than 2 weeks of nothing but mangos or whatever.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Hey, come on now. I said "most" three times in there!
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

As someone whose skin approximates frog "belly white," VLC was one of the worst things I ever did to myself...
              +1. A diet where you can easily overeat celery or spinach... not good.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

And so far all three of you are female. That changes a lot of things!
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

So is sbhikes who thrives on high fat/high protein and Paleobird who champions the cream, butter, and a bit of liver diet....
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I don't really eat that high of fat. I feel good when my diet is high fat but it's hard to stay in that place. So I've been eating lots of meat, veggies and potatoes. No counting, no measuring, and eating more than ever.

Anyway, big deal so some people like low carb and some don't. It's all still the basic plan if you are eating food in its natural state.

What's odd is all these single food item topics lately. Everybody is looking for a miracle. The miracle is to eat well of real natural food.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

And a number of men who post here (who appear to be white dudes by their photos) also have said they didn't do well on VLC. I don't think you can generalize it as being about European vs. African ancestry or male vs. female. Some people seem to feel better on fewer carbs than others. Maybe there is a genetic marker for that somewhere, but I doubt it's as simple as whether you've got a little Neanderthal in the woodpile.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

*sigh* You're probably right.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                          And a number of men who post here (who appear to be white dudes by their photos) also have said they didn't do well on VLC. I don't think you can generalize it as being about European vs. African ancestry or male vs. female. Some people seem to feel better on fewer carbs than others. Maybe there is a genetic marker for that somewhere, but I doubt it's as simple as whether you've got a little Neanderthal in the woodpile.
                          agreed

Comment

Eat moar fat! Don't do dairy. Eat only potatoes for two weeks. Leptin Reset. Carb cycle. Carb Reload. Coconut oil by the spoonful. No nuts or fruit. Low carb. No carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                              White people? Living offa potatoes? Irish I could think of a single example of that...
                              HAHAHAHAHA....love it

Comment

If I could afford to live on raw salmon and avocados....I so would. Does that make me a Neanderthal? Maybe a Neanderthal wannabe?
                                "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

"Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

"Don't Panic"
                                -H2G2

Comment

Working...
                                X