Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Potato Diet (PPD)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Primal Potato Diet (PPD)

    Time for a new thread on potatoes for weight loss.
    Last edited by tatertot; 04-11-2013, 08:27 AM.
    Find me on Facebook!

  • #2
    Healthy weight loss != mostly water weight loss + muscle catabolism?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

    Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

    Comment


    • #3
      Good idea, as the other thread has become ridiculously long - and somewhat heated in places.

      I think this PPD has already proven itself successful for most people and it's worth taking seriously, so hopefully we can concentrate a bit more on the how and why, rather than "if".

      Maybe even some recipes

      Tried the PPD twice now, both times lost a couple of pounds (as net loss, despite some mild regaining later). I stick to no more than 3 or 4 days though, as I find it hard to believe there's really enough protein and I'm not getting any fat-soluble vitamins etc. Besides, I now live in Malaysia and this place is very into the whole eating out with the family thing. Others seem happy going 2 weeks so why not?



      AC

      Comment


      • #4
        Sakura, water loss is a classic issue with low carb and/or low salt, whereas most people on spuds are not only on high carb by definition but also tend to be a little generous with the salt. Especially by the 3rd day...

        Going back to normal eating is probably why most of us find we lose another lb or so after stopping.


        AC

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tatertot View Post
          Time for a new thread on potatoes for weight loss.

          My personal story is that I wanted to lose 10 pounds. I had been weight stable, eating primally, for several years. I couldn't shake the extra belly flab no matter how hard I tried. I PPD'd for 14 days, most were boiled or baked with just a little salt. No other foods. I drank black coffee and water. My results were a loss of 10 pounds total, and upon resumption of normal eating I lost another 2 pounds in 7 days and have been weight stable for 3 weeks now.
          You lost 10 pounds of FAT in two weeks? If so is the case you must have been in a energy deficit of 2500 kcal per day(!) Yes, it is possible, but most people would have to do a helload of cardio to make that happen.

          Any before and after pictures???
          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

          - Schopenhauer

          Comment


          • #6
            Primal Potato Diet is a misnommer. It could be something like an extended reefed within a primal diet, but it is not aligned with the Primal concept. Primal is about long term, nutritional variety that as non-toxic as possible and high fat content from meats.

            That's said, I am quite glad that tubers are gaining more prominence as a food source. The initial concept of Paleo that excluded them did itself a huge disservice.

            Good luck with the all-potato diet!

            I would say though that initial and ending stats including body fat 7 normal diet/workout regimen will help the rest of us to figure out who benefits from a long-term refeed like that. In the older threads some people had marvelous results, some - no results or gained weight. It would be interesting to see if there is a rhyme or reason to it.

            My closest experience was on unsalted boiled potatoes, eggs and ground beef. It was amazingly nourishing and weight loss inducing combination.

            Heh, looking at the weather I am tempted. The sleep portion in particular makes me very attracted to all starch diet.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm not considering it but I have a question: Would fat (e.g. lard or clarified butter) be allowed in this diet? Potatoes are so much more delicious with fat...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Farfalla View Post
                I'm not considering it but I have a question: Would fat (e.g. lard or clarified butter) be allowed in this diet? Potatoes are so much more delicious with fat...
                Nope, fat is the enemy during this. Hence why I too can't do this.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  Primal Potato Diet is a misnommer. It could be something like an extended reefed within a primal diet, but it is not aligned with the Primal concept. Primal is about long term, nutritional variety that as non-toxic as possible and high fat content from meats.

                  That's said, I am quite glad that tubers are gaining more prominence as a food source. The initial concept of Paleo that excluded them did itself a huge disservice.

                  Good luck with the all-potato diet!
                  I'm glad you wrote this so quickly. It shows that people see 'potato diet' and are drawn into thinking 'fad', 'cabbage soup diet', 'yo-yo diet', 'Vegan' etc... That's not what it's about at all. I would NEVER want someone to eat just potatoes for any length of time greater than 2 weeks. I'm hoping we can define a good time limit for the PPD on this thread. It almost seems that maybe just doing one day a week would provide about 2-3lbs of fat loss a month. Maybe it needs to be something you work your way up to, like try 1 day, then in a couple weeks do 3-4 days.

                  I absolutely love Mark Sisson. This is about the only diet and exercise site I routinely go to. I usually just read the subscribed blogs I get in my inbox every week or so. Mark recently wrote two that relate well to the PPD:

                  The Deload Week: What It Is, How to Do it, and Why It Might Help You Get Stronger | Mark's Daily Apple

                  Fall Foods: Why Seasonal Eating Primes the Body for Fat Burning | Mark's Daily Apple

                  I rarely did a 'deload week'. I never ate seasonal fall foods. I recently combined these two ideas into a deload week with PPD. Worked fantastic! I don't think PPD is a good thing to do if you are exercising hard, LHT, etc... But during a de-load, when most would find a carb refeed in order is a really good plan.
                  Last edited by tatertot; 11-08-2012, 02:03 PM.
                  Find me on Facebook!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I didn't want to jump into the other threads, since they got surprisingly heated, but I have a quick question:

                    I'm lean and muscular, have what most people would consider very nice abs, lift very heavy things regularly, and am concerned about losing muscle mass if I do a week of potatoes. It takes me a while to add muscle back on, and I hate if I lose it. However, I'd like to get my abs into "holy freaking crap" territory. Would this do it without dropping muscle? I'm due for a deload week anyway at some point in the next few weeks, so I'm thinking about the potato-deload combo, but I can't get out of my head that I typically eat a pretty huge amount of meat per day.

                    Definitely interested.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was very resistant to this idea at first because. Let's face it, only eating one food for days on end is pretty bizarre and is obviously not too healthy if pushed beyond a week or two. After seeing the thread going on and on and on, however, I decided to give it a try since I typically do some sort of a crash diet for a week or two before vacation. The last time I was living on tuna fish and salad and going hungry, lol, so this sounded like an interesting option. Bottom line, I lost 4.75 pounds in six days and my waist and abdomen are smaller. I measure every Monday so I do have a basis of comparison. After a couple days post potato diet I regained half a pound on two different days but have since dropped a half pound twice so I am back to my low of 146.

                      If people think it's too anti-primal, then don't do it. As for me, it was just what I needed to get a month's worth of weight loss in six days before vacation.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                        I'm lean and muscular, have what most people would consider very nice abs, lift very heavy things regularly, and am concerned about losing muscle mass if I do a week of potatoes. It takes me a while to add muscle back on, and I hate if I lose it. However, I'd like to get my abs into "holy freaking crap" territory. Would this do it without dropping muscle? I'm due for a deload week anyway at some point in the next few weeks, so I'm thinking about the potato-deload combo, but I can't get out of my head that I typically eat a pretty huge amount of meat per day.
                        The bodybuilding community goes through regular cycles of bulking and cutting. When cutting, they all agree that they will lose a bit of lean muscle. They also normally cut for more than 2 weeks, more like 6 weeks to get ready for competition. They try to lose weight at the rate 1-2 pounds a week. What we are seeing with the PPD is .5 to 1 pound a day. Certainly some of it is muscle, but I don't think it is a substantial part of it. I'd say try it for a week. There is a guy around here called PKLOPP who is doing an experiment with potatoes and protein but no fat, I will be curious to see what he finds out.
                        Find me on Facebook!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                          The bodybuilding community goes through regular cycles of bulking and cutting. When cutting, they all agree that they will lose a bit of lean muscle. They also normally cut for more than 2 weeks, more like 6 weeks to get ready for competition. They try to lose weight at the rate 1-2 pounds a week. What we are seeing with the PPD is .5 to 1 pound a day. Certainly some of it is muscle, but I don't think it is a substantial part of it. I'd say try it for a week. There is a guy around here called PKLOPP who is doing an experiment with potatoes and protein but no fat, I will be curious to see what he finds out.
                          Yeah, I know all this stuff in my head, but...

                          I'll probably end up doing 5 days or so of potatoes during my deload week. I'm nowhere near bodybuilding size, so when I drop any muscle it's noticeable. I'm curious about Pklopp's results, as well, but if I decide to do the potato thing I'll probably want to do only potatoes for the duration, mainly so I don't have to think about nutrition or be tempted by other foods. I'm checking this thread to see if anyone like me has done the potato thing, gotten shredded abs, and not lost muscle. It's definitely interesting.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                            Sakura, water loss is a classic issue with low carb and/or low salt, whereas most people on spuds are not only on high carb by definition but also tend to be a little generous with the salt. Especially by the 3rd day...

                            Going back to normal eating is probably why most of us find we lose another lb or so after stopping.


                            AC
                            Water weight loss = when your glycogen is being used up. Since you're using glycogen on calorie restriction -> lose water weight.
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

                            Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                              Water weight loss = when your glycogen is being used up. Since you're using glycogen on calorie restriction -> lose water weight.
                              I was doing the IF thing last summer. I would fast about 48 hours once every other week. I would lose about 6-8lbs in that 48 hours. Upon resumption of normal eating, all that weight would come right back. That's water weight loss.

                              PPD caused me to lose about 3/4 of a pound a day for 14 days. At day 14, I was down 10lbs. I then started eating my normal, primal food. I never regained any of the 10 pounds I lost! Over the next week, I even lost 2 more pounds. I was kind of freaking out to tell the truth and started pigging out on steak and eggs and bananas and cheese. I am now weight stable at 12 pounds less than I was for almost 18 months prior to PPD.

                              I agree that you know what water weight loss is and provided a good definition, but I don't think that is the PPD's effect.
                              Find me on Facebook!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X