Primal Potato Diet (PPD)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
    With my first attempt at this I measured my arms, legs, chest and waist. I track my workouts too and the only things that went down were my weight and waist measurement. That simply doesn't jibe with my previous experiences of 'syrup shrinkage' (water weight loss from losing glycogen).

AC
    Just curious... what do your workouts consist of? Have you scaled back on exercise any when eating only potatoes?

Comment

I did the first time (3 days of taters), the 2nd time (4 days of taters) I just did a normal workout on the 4th day (I only workout once or twice a week anyway).

Workout was wide bench press, 3 sets, a wide-grip pull-down thingy with my home gym 3 sets, barbell bicep curls 2 sets, inclined stomach crunches 40 reps, squats (1 set) followed by 1 set of lunges, 2 sets of close-grip pull-ups/chin-ups, then side raises.

It's not a perfect workout but just one I've followed for awhile if only for tracking. I normally change things around after a few months.

Point is, I was doing the same reps with the same weights and bodyweight. The only thing I 'changed' was deliberately not thinking about where I could add some more weight or reps, which I usually do.

Pull-ups were not too impressive as I have tendinitis in both elbows at present, so only did 4 then 3 - but that's the same as I have done recently anyway.

My biggest concern was not a lack in performance, as there wasn't any, but concern at the lack of protein after the workout. So I just ate a LOT of spuds at that point

Today I'm beginning another potato 'fast'; this time I'm going to try for 5 days - but with a twist...

This week I'm going to deliberately hammer my muscles, upper-body only, EVERY DAY for the 5 days.

For months now I've been easing off a bit because of the elbows and trying to give things time to heal and all that. This week no patience whatsoever, no easing off, no kindness, no allowances - I'm deliberately going to shock the heck out of my body with fasted-state cardio (only 20 mins) every morning, with a weights workout every evening, while eating absolutely nothing except spuds, spices and black coffee, for 5 days.

I DO NOT recommend anyone follow this madness!

The general potato thing does seem to work and yes, you can do a light or normal workout - strength and energy are still there.

The crazy thing I'm doing this week is just to shock my body out of holding onto fat. I'm not going to restrict my intake of spuds at all, just eat until full but I'm going to experiment with zero fat intake and a lot of fat burning, while forcing my muscles to work and see just what happens.

I've always preached low carbs and recovery time. Just as an experiment I'm trying the opposite

I know I can put muscle back on later if I'm eating it, for now I'm sick of having a little round belly poking over my belt - but again, don't follow what I'm doing. This is just a personal N=1, a 'Hey, if too much starch works, perhaps batshit crazy will work even better?' thing.

If you never hear from me again the experiment was a failure

AC

Comment

Here is my workout I did tonight,

Monday 12 November - 50, 100, 200's

A1: 50 pull ups, ( 11,8,6,6,5,5,5,4,1)
        A2: 50 sledge hammer swings each side/arm
        A3: 50 sledge hammer over shoulder shovel throws each side
        A4: 50 sledge hammer axe chops each side
        A6: 100 fwd lunges (50, 30,20) 50 each side
        A7: 200 Hindu squats (100, 100)

Leg finisher
        B1: 3 x 10 *Bulgarian split squats BW only
        B3: 3 x 10 side lunges
        B4: 3 x 10 suitcase dead lifts 2 x 16 kg KBs
        B5 3 x 10 shrugs 2 x 16 kg KBs
        B6: 100 around the worlds

During the week it's a mixture of BW sessions, surf club training with the kids, walking the dog, swimming and kite surfing. Weekends are 4-5 hours down the beach as above. I also swim in a masters squad 2-3 times per week it's 1 hour session, 2500-2800m. Pretty active lots of slow steady cardio and play...

Cheers
        "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

Welp, this looks interesting enough to try. I'm already pretty darn lean as it is, but I would love to lean out that extra few percentage points before I head to Cabo for winter break!

Also, this is perfect for me right now because I'm fairly constricted on budget and need to spend less on groceries.
          I'm going to give this a shot in conjunction with my current modified Stronglifts 5x5 routine.

A few questions to people though before I start:
          Can I eat lean meat (boneless/skinless chicken)?
          Can I eat fibrous vegetables?
          Regular potatoes vs. sweet potatoes---which is better?

Thanks yall. Will update with my progress/impressions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilian View Post
            Welp, this looks interesting enough to try. I'm already pretty darn lean as it is, but I would love to lean out that extra few percentage points before I head to Cabo for winter break!

Also, this is perfect for me right now because I'm fairly constricted on budget and need to spend less on groceries.
            I'm going to give this a shot in conjunction with my current modified Stronglifts 5x5 routine.

A few questions to people though before I start:
            Can I eat lean meat (boneless/skinless chicken)?
            Can I eat fibrous vegetables?
            Regular potatoes vs. sweet potatoes---which is better?

Thanks yall. Will update with my progress/impressions.
            The Potato Diet consists of just potatoes (not sweet), eaten as plainly as possible, for max weightloss. The best success, in measure of weight lost and hunger, comes with eating boiled or baked potatoes with a little salt/pepper. When you start adding things like chicken breast and other veggies, your hunger will increase and weightloss slows.

I don't know anything about you other than you are fairly lean. If you have a background that includes glucose intolerance, eating disorders, or are wanting to do heavy workouts at the same time as the potato diet, it may not be for you.

Plan on eating somewhere between 2-4 pounds a day, but let hunger guide you. I find I am very comfortable eating no breakfast, 1 or 2 baked potatoes for lunch, 1 or 2 for dinner, and if I'm still hungry any other time, I like to have a supply of boiled potatoes on hand to munch cold. Do that for a week or so and you will see rapid weightloss.
            Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the info. I've been following a Leangains 16/8 style eating regimen for the past 3 years so I plan on doing that with the PPD as well.

So continuing to gain strength via heavy weight training is probably not a feasible goal on the PPD? It seems like a few people here are continuing to train regularly with few to no drawbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                Healthy weight loss != mostly water weight loss + muscle catabolism?
                Uhh, no. water loss is what happen when you go LC.. Potatoes are the ultimate carbs so rather a water gain, no?
                As for the muscle loss.. We don't lose muscles that easy, not with such speed and not when fat is available
                in the body. Easy on fast conclusions, from what I have seen, read and experienced the
                TatersFast is a great stuff.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the info. I've been following a Leangains 16/8 style eating regimen for the past 3 years so I plan on doing that with the PPD as well.

So continuing to gain strength via heavy weight training is probably not a feasible goal on the PPD? It seems like a few people here are continuing to train regularly with few to no drawbacks.
                  Let us know how it goes if you try normal workouts. I'm in your same boat: lean, more or less follow leangains, a little concerned about losing muscle if I do a week of potatoes. I figure I'll start my potato experiment in a week or so and couple it with a deload week, since I need one anyway. Although I might sneak in a tough workout to see how I perform on taters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                    Let us know how it goes if you try normal workouts. I'm in your same boat: lean, more or less follow leangains, a little concerned about losing muscle if I do a week of potatoes. I figure I'll start my potato experiment in a week or so and couple it with a deload week, since I need one anyway. Although I might sneak in a tough workout to see how I perform on taters.
                    Right on, I'll be sure to post my progress. I don't usually weigh myself but I do track my weightlifting progress religiously, so I'll be able to comment on any strength loss or gain. You might also check out Richard Nikoley's blog over at Free The Animal.com because he's also giving the potato diet a shot with his weightlifting regimen. Actually, it looks like he's not following it very strictly.

In any case, my first potato meal is underway with some salt/pepper and a bit of turmeric. It's been so long since I've had a white potato, these things are delicious. I wonder how long it will take til I get sick of them. Extremely filling though.
                    Last edited by Kilian; 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

In any case, my first potato meal is underway with some salt/pepper and a bit of turmeric. It's been so long since I've had a white potato, these things are delicious. I wonder how long it will take til I get sick of them. Extremely filling though.
                      It has been years since I even had potatoes in the house, altho' my occasional forays to town would see me scarf a roast tater or fries at Wendy's. I've just cooked and munched my way though most of a 20-lb bag of taters , with a bit of help from my diabetic hubby who has to exercise restraint. AS expected, my blood sugar rose fast and - surprise! - dropped fast, leaving me well within the recommended limits at the 2 hour mark. In spite of liberal salting with REALSALT, I observed no unusual swelling or brain fog. But then, I ate fully half or more of mine stone cold, some with skins on. I don't have non-stick frying pans, waffle makers or suchlike, and decided the least effort expended would contribute to my sticking it out longer. Cold potatoes w/o salt are disgusting. With salt, I can tolerate them, but then, I've been known to eat some pretty vile things as long as I was convinced they were either 1. good for me or 2. wouldn't harm me. I'm taking it a day at a time, and won't continue in the face of adverse reactions. (Making faces doesn't count! )
                      Last edited by Paysan; 11-15-2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I am curious if this would apply to beans as well. Also I wonder if the use of MCT(coconut oil) would alter the results

Comment

I used about a teaspoon of coconut oil in preparing one of my potato meals today. I'm only at 1600 calories for the day and ill probably eat again before bed. I've been adding plenty of spices and eating them with a bit of unsweetened catsup or mustard. Energy is great but I definitely didn't eat enough yesterday and was feeling it this morning. Toughed it out til noon though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobert View Post
                            I am curious if this would apply to beans as well. Also I wonder if the use of MCT(coconut oil) would alter the results
                            I would say No to the first, likely not to the 2nd. Beans are well-known for their gassy effects, which right there tells us they are not being digested properly. W/o looking up any references, off the top of my head I suggest lectins are not that great for us.
                            MCT fats are mainly digested in the liver, but it's the lack of fats that supposedly damps down the ongoing insulin (blood glucose) reaction that characterises elevated organ-damaging levels. But, as we are all involved here in n=1 experiments, if you want to try, feel free.

Here's some no lectin info - http://www.paleoplan.com/2011/03-30/...s-and-legumes/
                            Last edited by Paysan; 11-15-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Ok Day 10 and end of the Potato and white rice and back on to more traditional primal food.. I reached my limit last night couldnt stomach another cold boiled potato with salt or hot chili sauce. Steak and eggs tasted great

Results Start weight 110.9kgs, weight this morning 105.0 kgs, lowest weight over the 9 days 104.5kgs Noticable leaner all round 1-5-2" off the waist. So 5.9kgs lost (~13lbs)

Anyway let you know in a week or so if any weight has returned. Which it may well do as I am having a beer or two this weekend......
                              "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

Originally posted by ezk View Post
                                Uhh, no. water loss is what happen when you go LC.. Potatoes are the ultimate carbs so rather a water gain, no?
                                As for the muscle loss.. We don't lose muscles that easy, not with such speed and not when fat is available
                                in the body. Easy on fast conclusions, from what I have seen, read and experienced the
                                TatersFast is a great stuff.
                                != does not mean equals....

I give up trying to reason this water weight loss with you guys because you are NOT PURELY BURNING FAT when you have glycogen stores from potatoes and you won't help to explain why you happen to lose purely fat, when you are clearly at caloric deficits and using up your current stores of glycogen...
                                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
                                X