Primal Potato Diet (PPD)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thatgirljj View Post
    I'm going to pop in here as a pretty irregular poster on MDA. I'm just wrapping up an awful bout of stomach flu and despite Mark's recommendations on what to eat with an upset stomach, I still can't bear the idea of eating much other than starch (aside from a little bone broth and full fat yogurt). The idea of just eating mashed potatoes for several days is really appealing on a gut level right now... both literally and figuratively. Aside from the weight loss implications (not my biggest worry at the moment), does anyone see any problem with giving this a try while in a somewhat depleted state after a week of gastroenteritis?

-jj
    Absolutely not a problem! Add in some milk and eggs when able and you could basically live forever on that alone. I used to eat Saltines when tummy was upset, now it's spuds.

Comment

• Stayed away from the scale for a few days, continued on with the clean potato diet (just Red, Russet and Yukons, salt, pepper and a little vinegar), still about 3.5 pounds cooked per day (nuked and boiled).

Sunday is my normal weekly weigh-in day, so I went for it. Started this hack last Tuesday at 201 pounds. Today I'm 213. Last Sunday I was 199. Not happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Croak View Post
        Stayed away from the scale for a few days, continued on with the clean potato diet (just Red, Russet and Yukons, salt, pepper and a little vinegar), still about 3.5 pounds cooked per day (nuked and boiled).

Sunday is my normal weekly weigh-in day, so I went for it. Started this hack last Tuesday at 201 pounds. Today I'm 213. Last Sunday I was 199. Not happy.
        I have a feeling you are in for a helluva whoosh when you drop the water you've somehow accumulated. I've never seen anyone gain this much! It has to be all the water you are drinking. At any rate, you've eaten at a big deficit for almost a week. Let us know what happens this week!

Comment

• I'm beginning to suspect I have a problem with nightshades and it's inflammation. Various aches and pains I had for years that subsided when I went primal are coming back.

When they went away I just assumed it was due to the weight reduction and better fuel and fitness. But in my pre-primal days, I ate a lot of potato products that I totally eliminated for a year and a half prior to this week, but I also hurt a lot.

As for the deficit, if my math is correct, it's only 200 calories per day, give or take, since my typical LCHF days averaged in the 1600-1800 range counting 16-24 hour fasting periods. I'm getting close to 1400 calories from the 3-4 daily pounds of potatoes (@350calories/pound).

Using the CICO formula (I know, I know), that's what, less than half a pound potential loss for a week?
          Last edited by Croak; 04-07-2013, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• I'm back on potatoes this week. Mon-Fri only potatoes until supper, then a protein and veg supper. Had a 2 lb rebound this weekend with a couple of alcoholic beverages and some accompanying evening snacking.

Comment

I'm beginning to suspect I have a problem with nightshades and it's inflammation. Various aches and pains I had for years that subsided when I went primal are coming back.

When they went away I just assumed it was due to the weight reduction and better fuel and fitness. But in my pre-primal days, I ate a lot of potato products that I totally eliminated for a year and a half prior to this week, but I also hurt a lot.

As for the deficit, if my math is correct, it's only 200 calories per day, give or take, since my typical LCHF days averaged in the 1600-1800 range counting 16-24 hour fasting periods. I'm getting close to 1400 calories from the 3-4 daily pounds of potatoes (@350calories/pound).

Using the CICO formula (I know, I know), that's what, less than half a pound potential loss for a week?
              One thing I like about doing a couple pure potato days is that you can easily figure 'calories in'. It also shows how inaccurate 'calories in' is for a regular, mixed diet. It's hard enough to find two calorie calculators that give the same calories for a pound of potato, how accurate can they be for something like "1 chicken breast" or "1 pound of meatloaf"?

I found I was grossly underestimating my normal calorie intake, what I thought was 1500, was actually 1800-2400 when you weighed it out and counted everything.

So, Croak - I don't know what to say. You gave it a good shot, maybe it was the nightshade factor, but who knows? Let us know what happens to your weight over the next week or so, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                One thing I like about doing a couple pure potato days is that you can easily figure 'calories in'.
                I wonder if you did pure PPD for 2 weeks & tracked each gram of potato eaten, if you could not determine normal daily TDEE based on potatoes consumed & weight lost/gained (NB: I do not believe all these BMR calculators & have been trying to find a way of confidently calculating my TDEE)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                  I wonder if you did pure PPD for 2 weeks & tracked each gram of potato eaten, if you could not determine normal daily TDEE based on potatoes consumed & weight lost/gained (NB: I do not believe all these BMR calculators & have been trying to find a way of confidently calculating my TDEE)
                  I have done it. I ate potatoes for 2 weeks. I bought 50 pounds of potatoes, at the end of two weeks, I had found I had eaten 43 pounds, or an average of 3.04 pounds per day.

I plugged 43 pounds of potato into FitDay and came up with 13,458 calories, or 961 calories per day.

Over that two week period, I lost about 8 pounds. CICO wisdom says to lose 8 pounds of fat would require a deficit of 28000 calories.

If my normal diet was 1800 calories, I was at an 840 calorie per day deficit, or 11,760 cal deficit for the 2 weeks. Hardly enough to lose 8 pounds of fat.

I explain it like this: Errors were probably made on my calorie intake beforehand, so I was probably at a greater deficit than 840 per day, also a bit of lean body mass was also lost since I was not exercising during this period and an all-potato diet is probably not the best at keeping lean body mass high, and I also lost a good bit of water and intestinal matter.

I think an eating exercise like this really shows the flaws in why CICO is not useful in weight loss.

Using the potato diet to estimate TDEE would probably be an exercise in futility. For one, it is very hard to eat at a maintenance level of calories, and all the other factors I mentioned above would skew results. The only way to do it would be long-term, tweaking amount eaten until you are maintaining your weight, but that would be grueling!
                  Last edited by otzi; 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• I went off over the weekend, but I am back to tators today. I will see how the day goes. I would like to try for an all tator day. I usually give in at dinner time.

I had some inches go down last week. Can't remember if I mentioned that anywhere. I havent been able to weigh, Wii disk is on strike, but I have another on the way.

I am not really on any certain protocol at the moment, except that I am eating tators during the day. Last week was sort of an every other day tator thing. This week, I don't know yet

One of my daughters is doing it this week again, but she didnt take any measurements or her weight to know if it is doing anything. She said she can't really tell about her clothes either. But at the very least, it is easy and quick and with her crazy schedule, that works well.
                    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Stayed away from the scale for a few days, continued on with the clean potato diet (just Red, Russet and Yukons, salt, pepper and a little vinegar), still about 3.5 pounds cooked per day (nuked and boiled).

Croak,

This sounds like a pretty serious situation. Do you have kidney problems? Even if you don't, please estimate the daily potassium you have taken in from the potatoes and call the doctor and tell them it is urgent.

My husband had kidney problems, and high potassium was a serious problem that indicated his kidneys were failing. The doctor said it was an emergency if weight goes up unexpectedly by 10 pounds. They would check his creatinine and administer antidotes. They also said this kind of electrolyte imbalance could stop the heart. You are past that 10 pound mark.

I have read Chris Voight (the 20 potatoes a day site- he is from the Washington Potato Commission) state that his doctor tested his kidneys before going on his all potato fast due to the potential for potassium to cause serious problems if the kidneys are not in shape to clear it.
                      Last edited by Key Tones; 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM.
                      2005 Low Carb - lost @ 80 pounds slowly, avg 15 pounds per year
                      2010 Paleo Diet
                      2013 Stephan Guyenet Low Food Reward/Seth Roberts Shangri-La with MCT Oil

Last 40 pounds lost with protein-sparing modified fasts, potato hack, and low food reward/Shangri-La Diet with MCT oil.

Now down 120+ pounds lost

Comment

• Key Tones - I hope you are wrong about Croak, but THANKS for chiming in! I have never heard of such a thing before.

Croak - What do you think? Let us know.

Comment

• I hope I'm wrong. I just remember knowing exactly what he meant when Chris Voigt said the docs had to test his kidneys before he embarked on his potato fast.

I don't know what the policy is for posting links, but just google the following words and you will get hits on what I am talking about. The potato hack is not for anyone with kidney problems.

chris voigt potassium kidneys

Also, if you google salt substitutes for kidney disease, you will see that kidney patients are to beware because these contain a lot of potassium. My husband was supposed to avoid salt because of heart problems, so I bought salt substitute. I had no idea it was dangerous because of kidney problems. No one told him until he landed in the hospital - it was the early days of his kidneys going down hill. He had gained over 10 pounds in a few days. His diuretics for his heart problems were kicking his kidneys. Hydroclorathiazide and Zaroxalyn are particularly harsh, but a lot of people are on diuretics for high blood pressure. Also, potassium-sparing diuretics like spironolactone (popular, I believe) or amiloride actually make the body hang onto potassium, so eating an unusually high potassium diet is not a good thing with these drugs. It's called hyperkalemia. There are other causes of hyperkalemia, this is just the one I am familiar with. Other drugs or conditions can do it, I see.

I might be paranoid because of personal experience, but a person is not supposed to gain more than 10 pounds within a few days without going to get it checked out urgently.
                          Last edited by Key Tones; 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM.
                          2005 Low Carb - lost @ 80 pounds slowly, avg 15 pounds per year
                          2010 Paleo Diet
                          2013 Stephan Guyenet Low Food Reward/Seth Roberts Shangri-La with MCT Oil

Last 40 pounds lost with protein-sparing modified fasts, potato hack, and low food reward/Shangri-La Diet with MCT oil.

Now down 120+ pounds lost

Comment

• Maybe it's not as bad as it seems:

The National Institute of Medicine Food and Nutrition Board recommends adults consume 4,700 mg of potassium per day. This means that one potato provides 18 percent of the daily recommended intake, according to the National Potato Council. Increasing your potassium intake and decreasing your sodium intake help to reduce high blood pressure for those who suffer from hypertension -- a medical condition characterized by consistently high blood pressure readings. In addition, consuming adequate levels of potassium can reduce the risk for developing high blood pressure, according to the American Heart Association.

Read more: Potassium In Potatoes | LIVESTRONG.COM
                            If this is accurate, Croak probably got just a little under twice the RDA for potassium. It sounds like he was eating about 4 pounds a day (1800g). Potatoes have 421mg/100g of potassium, so he was getting about 7500mg/day. The RDA is 4700mg/day, but unknown quantities of salt.

I agree, no one should gain 10 pounds in a couple days. I hope he sees this and takes action.

421mg/100g

Comment

• I fasted all day yesterday, just water and black coffee, and did a soak in a hot (118F) bath, long enough to refresh the water twice and watch all of The Hunger Games (oddly apropos title?) via Netflix on my tablet while soaking (side note, what a waste of great talent that film was). Drank a pint of water after the ghetto sauna.

Was down to 207 this morning, still visibly bloated but not as bad as yesterday. Threw out the remaining cooked potatoes, and had 4 eggs scrambled in a tbsp of CO, 250g of bacon, and three cups of coffee (two with big splashes of heavy cream), breaking a 34 hour fast.

That was indeed tasty, and boy howdy, it didn't take long for that fat to get things going either.

Net result (and half a roll of Charmin later), even after three big cups of coffee, a pint of water with my supplements and a decent sized breakfast, an hour ago I was down to 204. Yes, I lost 9 pounds in 32 hours, after gaining 14 pounds in 120 hours.

So, I think it's a combination of things. Normal glycogen water retention on the 300-odd grams of daily carbs, inflammation from the nightshades, some potassium related hijinks, and a whole helluva lot of undigested potatoes just hanging around (despite my extreme regularity during the hack).

Give me a couple-three days back on my normal WOE and a good supply of Charmin and I expect to be back where I started, hovering around 200.

PPD is not for me, I'll just keep plugging along the "hard way", and who knows, this may still have shaken things up enough to reset my soft plateau.
                              Last edited by Croak; 04-08-2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I fasted all day yesterday, just water and black coffee, and did a soak in a hot (118F) bath, long enough to refresh the water twice and watch all of The Hunger Games (oddly apropos title?) via Netflix on my tablet while soaking (side note, what a waste of great talent that film was). Drank a pint of water after the ghetto sauna.

Was down to 207 this morning, still visibly bloated but not as bad as yesterday. Threw out the remaining cooked potatoes, and had 4 eggs scrambled in a tbsp of CO, 250g of bacon, and three cups of coffee (two with big splashes of heavy cream), breaking a 34 hour fast.

That was indeed tasty, and boy howdy, it didn't take long for that fat to get things going either.

Net result (and half a roll of Charmin later), even after three big cups of coffee, a pint of water with my supplements and a decent sized breakfast, an hour ago I was down to 204. Yes, I lost 9 pounds in 32 hours, after gaining 14 pounds in 120 hours.

So, I think it's a combination of things. Normal glycogen water retention on the 300-odd grams of daily carbs, inflammation from the nightshades, some potassium related hijinks, and a whole helluva lot of undigested potatoes just hanging around (despite my extreme regularity during the hack).

Give me a couple-three days back on my normal WOE and a good supply of Charmin and I expect to be back where I started, hovering around 200.

PPD is not for me, I'll just keep plugging along the "hard way", and who knows, this may still have shaken things up enough to reset my soft plateau.
                                GREAT to hear from you! I had visions of a corpse in a potato strewn room with FBI agents swarming over your hard drive and looking for...me!

Sorry to hear about your experience, let us know how things proceed.

Comment

Working...
                                X