Primal Potato Diet (PPD)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tatertot View Post
    I agree that you know what water weight loss is and provided a good definition, but I don't think that is the PPD's effect.
    Muscle catabolism is the other part of the equation that I mentioned.

And maybe you're still glycogen depleted....do you work out?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
      Muscle catabolism is the other part of the equation that I mentioned.

And maybe you're still glycogen depleted....do you work out?
      I'm not a huge work-out guy. I walk lots and do pushups, pullups, and have a giant tractor tire I flip around the yard a couple times a week. I guess I really embraced the 'play' aspect of PB fitness. I hope Mr. Anthony tries it out and gives a good report on his feel for the muscle catabolism portion of the equation.
      Find me on Facebook!

Comment

I know there was a lot of talk about the ownership of the potato diet, but this link provided by MeatGrrrl a couple days ago kinda put credit squarely in Mary mcDougall's hands. McDougall Newsletter June 2006 Mary's Mini-McD Diet

She wanted this to be a life-long eating plan, and seemed to think it would work. I think 'primalizing' it is the next logical step. From the link above:

"In the early 1980s we (John and Mary) went on an “all potato and greens” diet for 10 days—just for the experience. We had hash browns for breakfast, baked potatoes and steamed frozen vegetables for lunch, and mashed potatoes with a salad for dinner. Yes, we were bored towards the end, but we each lost 10 pounds, felt great, and continued our love for potatoes.

A landmark experiment was carried out in 1925 on two healthy adults, a man 25 years old and a woman 28 years old.2 For 6 months these two people lived on a diet primarily of white potatoes. (A few additional items providing insignificant nutrients were added: a few fruits, coffee, and tea. Because they were losing too much weight, pure fat—containing no other nutrients—was also added.)

Could a diet of potatoes meet their nutritional needs? Even though they were both physically active (especially the man) they were described as, “…in good health on a diet in which the nitrogen (protein) was practically solely derived from the potato.”

Did they like this diet? The report stated, “They did not tire of the uniform potato diet and there was no craving for change.”

Starchy vegetables, like potatoes, are very appetite-satisfying. In an enlightening experiment, 38 separate foods were fed to subjects and a rating of their level of satisfaction (a satiety index) was determined every 15 minutes for 2 hours after the meals.3 The highest satisfaction level was produced by boiled white potatoes, and it was seven times higher than the lowest index for croissants. Potatoes were almost 5 times more satisfying than a Mars candy bar and twice as satisfying as beef or cheese. Starchy vegetables satisfy the hunger drive—fatty foods leave you craving.

You can adjust to simple eating, just like your pets are happy eating the same meal every day. You don’t worry if your dog and cat are enjoying their simple chow. They are hungry, the food satisfies them, and you know you are providing the best nutrition to keep them fit and long-lived.

Most animals thrive on simple diets—the koala bear lives on eucalyptus leaves, the panda bear on bamboo shoots, the horse on grass, etc. The truth is that nature has designed her foods complete and balanced for proper nutrition, long before they reach your dinner table. You cannot improve on this blueprint.

White potatoes are 10% protein with all of the essential amino acids provided in generous amounts. These tubers have 2.5 grams of dietary fiber per potato. That translates into 50 grams for an active man and 37 grams for an active woman. Potatoes are very high in vitamin C, B vitamins, potassium and other minerals. In animal experiments potatoes have been shown to have a particularly potent cholesterol-lowering effect.4 Feeding rats a potato-enriched diet for 3 weeks led to a 30% decrease in cholesterol and a 36% decrease in triglyceride levels.5"
        Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Ok I am on day three of a potatoe and white rice only down 3.1kgs (6.8lbs) and broken thru to my lowest weight for 10 years... I now weigh 107.5kgs and was bouncing between 110-112kgs for the last year, BF would be ~ 20%. I am fit an active just completed an 2 hour multisport adventure race last weekend, and am always surfing, kiting, SUP, swimimg. I have eaten primal 80-90% for the last 3 years and dropped 15 kgs (33lbs)

On the Potatoes and white rice Energy levels are great just finished a 1 hour swim squad session of 2500m (fasted) and swam faster than I have in a long time. Last night I also set new PR on pull ups three sets to failure 10, 8 6 previous two weeks ago was 8,6,5. I will use this as a strength base line and check at the end of the period. I dont mind if I lose a bit of muscle as I put it on easy, losing the fat has been the issue to date. I am also doing the Ray Cronse Cold Hot Cold showers and sleeping duvet free..ala CT. Hoping for Weight lose (fat hopfully) and maybe see a reducation in the masses of lypoma's I have had since a teenager (begign tummours made up of fatty adiposal tissue)

Pretty easy to date, 100g Potatoes is ~ 100 cals, 1 cup of rice is ~ 200cals. Bit of salt and vinager or Hot chili sauce, black coffee, black tea, water. I have found this easier to stick to than the whole 30 not cravings simple food choices, no way to add in to many "good fats" (nuts, butter, CO) etc.

Biggest fear was losing energy so I can keep up with an fairly active life style, no problems to date. Anyway I see if I can last the 14 days and report back in on how I am going. The worst thing that can happen is I lose a bit of muscle and bounce back up to 110kgs...
          "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

I'm not a huge work-out guy. I walk lots and do pushups, pullups, and have a giant tractor tire I flip around the yard a couple times a week. I guess I really embraced the 'play' aspect of PB fitness. I hope Mr. Anthony tries it out and gives a good report on his feel for the muscle catabolism portion of the equation.
            That's quite interesting. That is the main thing I'm concerned about on the potato diet is muscle loss more than fat loss. I'm waiting around for pklopp to finish his self experimentation before trying it out XD
            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Hey, tatertot, great idea starting new thread. Sorry for the drama on the original. I think this will be a great place to share ideas.

I have found I can lose a little more than 1/2 pound a day for 14 days no problem. I liked to do the 'PPD' (great acronym!) with a little more variety, I liked frying them with no oil and drenching them in apple cider vinegar. I also used some ketchup, mustard, and a little raw onion. I will be the first to say it takes some willpower to muscle through, especially the first few days. After 4 or 5 days it just becomes mundane and you don't really think much about eating just potatoes.

The best part is right at the end, your first post-PPD meal is the best! Your taste buds are primed and everything tastes wonderful. Plus, your stomach isn't shrivelled up and you can eat whatever you want right off the bat. When I used to fast, that first meal could cause problems and result in quick trips to the men's room, especially if there was coconut oil involved...

Anyway, best of luck, hope everyone who has tried it posts their results and others can try as well.

Later

Comment

Since monday morning I have today thursday nigh "lost" 11 pound, doing carb depletion and cycling from high carb to low carb dieting. Maybe 1/2 pound of this is fatloss. Maybe. Losing weight fast is pretty easy, the question is WHAT you are losing...
                Last edited by Gorbag; 11-08-2012, 06:07 PM.
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Rosti is my favourite food. I was a bit sad to ditch it in my primal quest.
                  Rosti it is for diner today.
                  Few but ripe.

Comment

Mashed Potato's...

Last night I had mashed Potatoes made in the following way,
                    Boiled in water with fresh chopped rosmary and a clove of garlic
                    Added in Black pepper and 1/4 beef stock cube to some of the reserved liquid. Removed some of the rosmary and mashed until creamy.

Didnt miss the butter or cream or milk that I would normaly mash them with, I know I know I am supper bad for using a stock cube oh the salt will kill me....

Comment

I'm not sure I understand all the potato enthusiasm. Seems like you're basically doing the McDougall Starch Solution thing?

At any rate, for some reason, with me, eating potatoes causes major sugar cravings. I've been so much better off since deciding not to eat potatoes. But hey, if it works for you guys, power to ya!

Comment

Hey bluedots,

I have found the extract opposite, cravings have all but disappeared. Just crave a bit of salt at the moment... I have tried IF, Whole 30, VLC, Meat and eggs and found that I still craved big time, loaded up the cream in the coffee, slice of cheese, more calories than I should have eaten etc. Fruit, nuts and lots of healthy fats...maybe I am weak....

But currently with the body running on starches and high fat (body fat...), or maybe any mono foods I finding it easy as so far, Still early days as only 3 days in so will see if I feel the same next week. Social function tonight will be the tester, can I get away with water only and hot potatoes before and after.... I also think having only two pretty bland food choices simplifies things and takes any emotional eating out of it as well. Just finished my 500g of boiled Potato's with a splash of hot sauce for lunch, hadn't eaten all morning as I didn't feel like it even after swimming, normally I am starving after swimming and have B&E's

Bit of a challenge/change every now and then is good for the soul and an open mind and lets face it if we all were not open minded in the first place we wouldn't have been eating Primal/Paleo... which is still a great long term way to eat.

cheers

Comment

Don't worry; if I end up doing it, I'll do it up with pics, weights, measurements, etc. and report back. If I do it, it'll be during a deload week, so I guess a bit of muscle loss would be expected...but I'd prefer to avoid it as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by palebluedots View Post
                            I'm not sure I understand all the potato enthusiasm. Seems like you're basically doing the McDougall Starch Solution thing?
                            It is kinda silly, I admit it, but it is just so darn unbelievable! So simple, so easy, and it works! I think it is almost exactly like the Starch Solution, but only done for a very short time--not a lifelong deal, just enough to drop some weight quickly and back to normal life. It feels the same way as when I first discovered Primal blueprint--lost a lot of weight, got healthy and told EVERYBODY!
                            Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by fat belly frog View Post
                              Bit of a challenge/change every now and then is good for the soul and an open mind and lets face it if we all were not open minded in the first place we wouldn't have been eating Primal/Paleo... which is still a great long term way to eat.
                              cheers
                              Anybody else love this attitude?
                              Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Anybody else love this attitude?
                                Yes.

While I'm not doing the PPD, I have found that potatoes are a lifesaver when I am having one of my "green veggies make me gag," cycles. I usually like veggies well enough and have found good ways to serve them. But every so often, I just don't want them. Since that's about the only food from which I get any carbs, I find that a nice plate of potatoes'n'eggs fills in.

I get the reject cycle with other foods sometimes, salmon, chicken, liver, but since I eat lots of other fatty protein sources, it's not a prob.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                                X