No announcement yet.

Primal Potato Diet (PPD)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm eating probably at least one sometimes two primal meals whilst here but not the same training as do at home, and alcohol which don't normally have! Snowboarding so am being active..just mayb not enough to cancel out the food&drink!ha!
    "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all,in which case you've failed by default"

Comment

• Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
      Has anyone with IR/diabetes done this? Seems so backwards for weight loss.
      T1D, probably not a good idea. T2D I think would be OK, but have to monitor glucose closely. IR, ie. slightly high FBG, it's fine, but again you'd want to monitor. I have done numerous self-tests with a blood glucose monitor after eating many potato-only meals, and I haven't seen anything worrisome in those tests, but if one had a serious problem regulating blood glucose, they'd want to be cautious. Ways to blunt the glucose load are to eat the potatoes cold and/or eat with vinegar, like in German Potato Salad.

Originally posted by jazzyj View Post
      But why would you do it? for 10lbs? gone quickly? I'm new, but after reading and researching, primal goes beyond materialistic, which is where i usually put those get rid of 10lbs quick thingies. Why would you just eat potatoes for 2 weeks just to lose 10lbs? I mean hey if you want go ahead, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning for it.
      It's kind of like a 'reset button' when life gets in the way of normal primal eating, or you find yourself bloated and lost in food choices. It's not a long-term diet or a magic bullet. It's a step higher on the sanity chart than a week long fast, but it is very effective for most that try it. Eat potatoes as plainly as possible without going overboard on quantity for 5-14 days and you'll lose 3-10 lbs during that time. It's these 10 pound gains that get people discouraged with dieting and makes them give up. The Potato Diet is a way to quickly shed those pesky 10 pounds with a very simple, fairly healthy diet. More than 2 weeks and you'd be running the risk of nutrient deficiencies, but 5-14 days is not too long to go for just potatoes. It also has helped many get over their fear of carbs and is a good step in adding them back in your normal daily eating.

Originally posted by Gibtron View Post
      Hey Otzi,
      ...got a social event(what am I on about-I mean a blooming good few drinks!) on the Saturday night do u think this will mess it up?
      So if I run through 10lbs worth and see how I get on, do u tend to do the ppd every so often?
      A few drinks won't hurt. May be helpful, actually. When I first discovered the PPD, I was a non-believer, but quickly became a believer when I saw how fast it worked. Since last summer, I've done 2 - 2 week stretches and 2 - 1 week run of potatoes only, sometimes adding things just to see how it would effect the outcome. I find the closer you stay to only potatoes, the better it works. Start adding little things and it is very slow. If you read through all the comments, you'll see that same pattern in those who tried it.

I think long-term, I may never have to do the potato diet again, I used it as a tool to help me learn how different foods effected my weight and now I am pretty confident in what is real weight-gain and what is water weight. For the past couple years on Primal Blueprint, I was horrified whenever I would gain 5 pounds, I'd go zero-carb and hit the weights hard until it was gone, but now I'm not afraid to experiment a little since I know I can just eat good ol' potatoes for a couple days and lose any excess water weight and a little longer to lose a few good pounds of fat. I like to think the PPD is a tool in my tool kit just like Intermittant Fasting, Low Carb, and other little hacks we've come up with.

Good luck!

Comment

• Great info Otzi! thanks for the insightful reply!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
          When you ate potatoes only for breakfast and lunch did you eat a regular primal dinner or did you fast that meal?
          A regular primal dinner. This time round, two of those dinners included a beer, so not totally primal, I guess. Each day breakfast was 12oz sweet potato with garam masala and lunch was 12oz white potato with salt, pepper and ACV. Total calories each day was 1200-1400 calories. After 4 days I was down 4lbs.

Right now I am back to yogurt and berries for breakfast and then have 8-10oz of my white potato with 4-5 oz of meat for lunch. Next week I'm going to try the sweet potato for breakfast and something non-potato at lunch. I'm not in a rush to lose the last of the weight. I'm really more interested in condensing breakfast and lunch into one 500 or so calorie meal and potato looks like it will work better for me, hunger-wise, than something high fat.
          50yo, 5'3"
          SW-195
          CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
          GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

• Cheers Otzi much appreciated!
            Looking forwards to starting! Did someone say too u can add a little sauerkraut? If anyone has any good recipes to keep me going please throw them my way!
            Also what did people add if they did mash?or just nothing *dry* eeek!

I'm same with the ole water weight you get all disheartened but you know that normally u can shift it fairly quick, just frustrating as always makes you feel swollen!!
            "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all,in which case you've failed by default"

Comment

• Originally posted by Gibtron View Post
              Cheers Otzi much appreciated!
              Looking forwards to starting! Did someone say too u can add a little sauerkraut? If anyone has any good recipes to keep me going please throw them my way!
              Also what did people add if they did mash?or just nothing *dry* eeek!

I'm same with the ole water weight you get all disheartened but you know that normally u can shift it fairly quick, just frustrating as always makes you feel swollen!!
              Some people liked a bit of sauerkraut, especially with mashed potatoes. My favorite way ended up being plain old boiled potatoes. Eat them warm or cold. All they need is a little salt, but ketchup isn't bad, either. Shredded and dry-fried is really good, but almost too good, if you know what I mean! I do those maybe once or twice in the week. If you have a slow cooker, fill it with potatoes and about an inch of water, cook on high for about 3 hours, store cooled potatoes in the fridge and take them out as you need them. This really should be about eating potatoes to sustain your life without being hungry, not about finding ways to cook potatoes so tasty you can eat 6 pounds in a day!

Once I get in a groove, I am perfectly content to skip breakfast, eat about 1/2 pound of potato (one med size potato) at noon and then 2 or 3 potatoes for dinner in the evening. If I need a snack, there are cold potatoes in the fridge. Works really well. If you start adding a couple almonds or a piece of cheese, you star fixating on other foods and it really spoils the effect of being full on about 1/2 your normal calories.

Where are you in the UK? I used to live in Feltwell, Norfolk, on a potato farm of all places!
              Have fun!

Comment

• Cheers for the ideas will defo those and the slow cooker is good for those
                "Desperate" moments!
                Hmm I need to make sure I don't enjoy it too much and over eat!!
                I live in West Sussex near Brighton-holding in Canada at mo!
                Potato farm-that could've been very helpful a few weeks back!!

Sounds sad but REALLY looking forwards to doing the experiment when back!

Comment

• Well!!!Potato diet is the best source to get the energy and fitness.I read out your
                  posts and i agree with your reviews.According to me that potatoes diets are so
                  good for gain weight and build the body muscles....

Comment

• 6 Days on PPD

Starting Weight - 198.2 lbs

Day 1 - 196.2 lbs
                    Day 2 - 194.8 lbs
                    Day 3 - 195.0 lbs
                    Day 4 - 195.4 lbs
                    Day 5 - 196.0 lbs

End of Day 6 - 192.2 lbs

Dropped 6 pounds. I did eat a HUGE burrito the night before I started which may have skewed the starting weight.

I was gonna go 7 - 10 days but broke down and had to have real food. Otherwise it was pretty easy and effortless. I felt "cold" sometimes, but other than that my energy levels were great and felt normal.
                    SW (207lbs) 8/1/2012
                    CW (188lbs)
                    Primal Since 8/1/2102

Bike commute to work 20 miles/day ~ rain, shine, or snow.

Comment

• Originally posted by amerikian View Post
                      Starting Weight - 198.2 lbs

Day 1 - 196.2 lbs
                      Day 2 - 194.8 lbs
                      Day 3 - 195.0 lbs
                      Day 4 - 195.4 lbs
                      Day 5 - 196.0 lbs

End of Day 6 - 192.2 lbs

Dropped 6 pounds. I did eat a HUGE burrito the night before I started which may have skewed the starting weight.
                      That's the sort of feed back I wanna hear!!
                      Missing my food missing my training!!

Comment

• I started today. Weighed myself this morning at 161. I have been following the PB for about six months now very low carb. No grains, no tubers, recently cut out carrots and onions as well. The weight loss has been fantastic up until recently. I am very close to my goal weight, I have maybe 10-15 pounds left to lose in order to be where I want, down 45 so far. And finally see my abs for the first time in my life!

I have been having some crazy uncontrollable sugar cravings lately, something I have never had before. So hopefully this carb refeed will help out with those. Then in a few days I can bounce back into LC.

-Colby

Comment

• Originally posted by colbyhorsman View Post
                          I started today. Weighed myself this morning at 161. I have been following the PB for about six months now very low carb. No grains, no tubers, recently cut out carrots and onions as well. The weight loss has been fantastic up until recently. I am very close to my goal weight, I have maybe 10-15 pounds left to lose in order to be where I want, down 45 so far. And finally see my abs for the first time in my life!

I have been having some crazy uncontrollable sugar cravings lately, something I have never had before. So hopefully this carb refeed will help out with those. Then in a few days I can bounce back into LC.

-Colby
                          If it works well for you, I'd recommend keeping potatoes in your daily eating afterwards, long-term, like 300-500 calories worth a day (1 or 2 potatoes). You will find it doesn't cause weight gain or hunger. It's cheap and cheap insurance to keep your glycogen stores full and gut flora happy. It can still be part of LC as 1-2 potatoes is only about 100g carbs.

I found through several years of LC that living with empty glycogen stores led to huge weight fluctuations and poor workout gains.

Comment

• Thanks for the info. I am very active, I do stronglifts 3x a week, sprints once and run 5-10k once or twice a week. And usually walk on the treadmill through my lunch breaks. Everything was going well until christmas, when the sugar cavings started.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                              If it works well for you, I'd recommend keeping potatoes in your daily eating afterwards, long-term, like 300-500 calories worth a day (1 or 2 potatoes). You will find it doesn't cause weight gain or hunger. It's cheap and cheap insurance to keep your glycogen stores full and gut flora happy. It can still be part of LC as 1-2 potatoes is only about 100g carbs.

I found through several years of LC that living with empty glycogen stores led to huge weight fluctuations and poor workout gains.
                              Um, you do know the body will take protein and convert it to fill empty glycogen stores don't you? I usually stay fairly LC and have never had an issue with "empty glycogen stores". That goes for HEAVY lifting and very long, very intense cardio. MAYBE it was something else going on of which you were unaware?
                              My Journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread74692.html

Comment

• Looking forwards to seeing how you get on Colbyhorsman!
                                I've placed my online food shop for when I get back!
                                Otzi-you a said u recommend keeping 'tators in daily eating do you mean JUST odd day of tators or combine ith other meals?

*carb scared*
                                Silly I know!!
                                Anything I can do to help weight and good workouts is always good!!

Comment

Working...
                                X